• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Pre-Meeting Rant. Warning: Not for the faint of heart.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Okay, here we go.

I was handed this project when I arrived here in January called "Rainbow Road". It's a 800k project complete with sewer, water, street, storm drainage, sidewalks, bicycle lanes... the works.

We have two grants, amounting to $200,000 for the road. I just got another for 90k for the water. Public Works is picking up the 180 or so for the sewer, and the storm drain is a citywide fee.

Now, after almost two years of planning, engineering, meetings, and a ****load of MY ****** time, it looks like it just might get tossed. Why? The citizens, who the improvements will benefit, are fighting the local improvement district!

They are .3 of a property owner short of having the required 2/3 to snuff the project, but I have a feeling the City Council will kill it. Nevermind the work already done, nevermind the money we lose on other grants besides the 200k on this one, nevermind how BAD this looks to others on the outside trying to help the community, nevermind it will hurt economic recovery that is desperately needed... No no, I want all that stuff in front of my house for free!

8-{ 8-{ 8-{ 8-{

I'll let you know how it comes out.

But if it gets shot down, that crappy street won't see a pothole filled the entire time I'm here....

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Planning would be great if it weren't for the citizens. :)

Were the citizens involved in the planning of this project? I am doing all of these neighborhood plans throughout the City and I practically have to beg to get people on the planning committees, then it is a chore to get some of them to even show up. Then when the committee makes reccomendations, such as curbs, storm sewers, or sidewalks people filp out.

Jeff

Cyburbian
What are their objections to the project? Is this new public water and sewer or just an improvement? I can't believe that anyone would fight getting public water and sewer, most people look at you like the savior when you get rid of their on-site systems.

Are they objecting to the cost? Was the community going to charge them hook-up fees?

Another thing you may want to persue, if you haven't already, is to make sure every resident on the street understands EXACTLY what is proposed, why it is proposed, and how it will benefit them and the community in the long run. I have found that it is usually the diehard NIMBY types who circulate these petitions, and collect signatures from a public that is not completely informed, or informed with only the knowledge presented by those against the project.

Good Luck!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
jtfortin said:
Planning would be great if it weren't for the citizens. :)

Were the citizens involved in the planning of this project? I am doing all of these neighborhood plans throughout the City and I practically have to beg to get people on the planning committees, then it is a chore to get some of them to even show up. Then when the committee makes reccomendations, such as curbs, storm sewers, or sidewalks people filp out.
This project has been going on for almost two years. All the citizens knew, were invited to meeting... blah blah. They didn't show up until a couple of them got letters about cost, and then they went and got a petition. They lied and bullied all the other folks on the street.

By the way, they didn't have the 2/3rds, but the Council put the project off for 6 months... that loses us $200,000 in grant monies. Then they told us to "work harder to reduce the costs"... uh huh.

Last edited:

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Mike DeVuono said:
What are their objections to the project? Is this new public water and sewer or just an improvement? I can't believe that anyone would fight getting public water and sewer, most people look at you like the savior when you get rid of their on-site systems.

Are they objecting to the cost? Was the community going to charge them hook-up fees?
Objecting to cost, yes... but all the water and sewer is either paid for by the city or grant monies. They were to pay 100% for curb & gutter, sidewalks, and storm inlets. They were to pay 1/3 of the street costs. It ended up at 75 buck a linear foot, to be paid over 30 years.

Mike DeVuono said:
Another thing you may want to persue, if you haven't already, is to make sure every resident on the street understands EXACTLY what is proposed, why it is proposed, and how it will benefit them and the community in the long run. I have found that it is usually the diehard NIMBY types who circulate these petitions, and collect signatures from a public that is not completely informed, or informed with only the knowledge presented by those against the project.
We did everything we could to disseminate the information, and heard nothing until the two biggest yahoos on the street came up with a petition... and I have it from several residents who were for the project that they strongarmed, and lied about the project. The biggest lie was this... "If we stop the project now, the city will come back and do it for less."

My first instict was to make liars of them. Put their street at the bottom of the list for even a kernel of asphalt patch... but now, I've awakened with a new idea... and it's a brand new day!

Get this. Four people, the two aformentioned yahoos and two other loud complainers attended the meeting, out of 29 owners. What struck me as I sat up in bed was this... they all live at one end of the street. They live at the far end. Which means... TA-DA! I can cut ove 4/10ths of the project, end it where the "trailer park" starts, and charge the other owners around $800 apiece.

Yep, I'm going to do it MUCH cheaper... just not for the knotheads who stand in the way of progress. If I can get my boss, the Council, and the granting agency to agree... I'll be happy. And this is the sign I'll put up where the new road ends!