• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Prefabricated carports (was "How would you deal with this")

Repo Man

Cyburbian
How would you deal with this

I have a resident who wants to put one of these pre-fab car ports next to their garage. I think it is ugly, but there is nothing in our code that prohibits them. I am thinking of regulating it as an accessory structure, like a pre-fab shed.

I am anticipating calls from neighbors after this is installed.

Glomer

I have run into the same problem with one in our city.....the neighbor as of yet hasn't complained. Is this thing taken down in the winter or is it up year round?

Count it in the allowable sq. ft. of accessory structures and if they are over the max. tell them they need a CUP.

Or, regulate it as a temp. accessory structure.......like a tent in a grocery store parking lot....make them get a permit and take it down after so many days.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It's a car port

Definitely an accessory structure, all though not technically a "building". We would regulate as such.

Jeff

Cyburbian
What exactly are these things used for? Shade for the car? I've never seen something as dumb and ugly looking as that.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I really don't know why anyone would want one of these ugly things. Maybe it keeps snow off in the winter and bird crap off in the summer. Although I can imagine birds making a nest in the roof of this thing. My guess is that he is too cheap to tear down his once-car garage and build a 2-car garage.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Eek... I've seen these before. Sorry they've proliferated into your community. In the last place I worked we treated them like a regular accessory structure from the planning side. I think the building inspectors wouldn't approve it though because it wouldn't meet the various wind/snow/etc loads the UBC required for our area.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Banned in my town. :)

I recently wrote an amendment to the Zoning Code to fine-tune our regulations regarding accessory structures; it was a quick fix until the new code is adopted. All accessory buildings over 150 square feet in floor area now have to be architecturally compatible with the major structure on the lot ... even a house. Such structures proliferate "the town next door," and residents here don't want 'em.

The applicable section reads:

6.8.5. Accessory structures larger than 150’[sup]2[/sup] (14 m[sup]2[/sup]) must be designed so they are architecturally compatible with the host structure. This requires the use of similar architectural elements, building materials, color, roof pitch and/or roofing materials as the host structure.

smarty

Cyburbian
asseccory buildings

yes, I know it's spelled wrong. We've also had a rash of these 'temporary' structures. People have found these are really nice and cheap ways to store their RV's, boats, campers, etc. We've made the interpretation that they are structures and must conform to setback requirements and not go over 800SF without getting a conditional use permit for an oversized accessory building.

Yes, they are butt ugly, unless it's a cute butt, but I'm digressing, so we let people put them up.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I treat them as an accessory structure. Just argued with a guy last week who wanted one in the side yard, sorry . I have heard that they collapse under snow load. I so wanted to tell the guy that but I don't want the company that is selling them to sue me.

ambmason

Cyburbian
We treat these protable carports like any other detached accessory building. Only in the rear yard, at least 20 feet back from house, etc. Our biggest problem with them is that the people selling them will install them without a permit and usually put them in the front yard. Our Commission has been on a roll of denying variance requests for front yard placement so maybe when enough buyers get angry the sellers will conveniently remember the regulations.

pandersen

Cyburbian
Accessory structures

In many of the zoning by-laws I deal with, these type of portable/tent-like/lean-to garage structures are treated as accessory structures which are subject to all setback requirements of each zone in which they are situated.

Further, as each of these developments involve a "structure" as defined under the building code, they are subject to the local bilding by-law which calls for all "structures" to be certified by a professional engineer.

prudence

Cyburbian
Temporary??

It looks like a temporary structure, and most Codes do not regulate said structures.

BKM

Cyburbian
Accessory structure. Wouldn't generally be allowed in Fairfield, because few houses/lots have the room to put them in their side yards and meet the required sideyard setbacks.

In the back yard-can't see 'em, who cares if they are tasteless enough to want 'em.

We had one guy-in a brand new, expensive neighborhood, mind you, build one of these (without permits) in his side yard, right to the property line. He then proceeded to fill the lovely structure with used tires. Maybe five feet from his neighbor. Amazing!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
BKM said:
Accessory structure. Wouldn't generally be allowed in Fairfield,
You work for Fairfield CA? I got a complaint via the web site the other day about some van pool vans parking on a couple of streets. I didn't recognize the street names and thought it was a county subdivison, said they were not in city limits, got a reply, and found out she was in Fairfield Ca.

BKM

Cyburbian
Fairfield to Fairfield

Yep.

Fairfield is a outer suburban Bay Area city of 100,000 people. About halfway between SF and Sacramento. The only meditating we do out here is while stuck in traffic. Our meditation raises blood pressure, though :)