• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

WTF 👽 Preparing for a Zombie Apocalypse [split from 'Do you have your bunker']

Rygor

Cyburbian
If Urban19 became a zombie, he'd look for you everywhere. However, he'd probably be a very easily confused zombie... :a:
As long as you avoided the greater San Luis Obispo area you'd be okay. He would never be able to find you outside of a very small slice of the central coast as he'd be easily confused.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Has this group determine the zombie type. Yanno, 28 days later type zombie with the "Rage" virus, or "Omega Man/I Am Legend" UV BS zombie, or typical horror flick zombie flanders type zombie? We really need to know to protect ourselves the right way yanno.

[youtube]Jspw0597t7Y[/youtube]

And yes, U19 zombie would be easily confused. Might stop also to ask for the nearest retail or macy's to shop for zombie clothes.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
To me this is a pretty short-term solution - what happens when you run out of gas? Best to use that truck to round up other survivors, more supplies, and then head for the hills.

This is great...a normally very staid current affairs show on public television devoted a recent episode to the zombie issue: The Agenda: Zombie Episode

The choice of vehicle is very important. The US military 5-ton truck is a great choice. You can carry a lot, easily live in the back, defend yourself, and travel over many kinds of rugged terrain. It runs on diesel. In a worst case scenario you could manufacture your own biodiesel. More likely, you could get by with a portable pump to draw fuel from gas station tanks (assuming electrical power was knocked out). You would also have 55-gallon drums with spare fuel. Lastly, you would have multiple vehicles in case one broke down.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
The choice of vehicle is very important. The US military 5-ton truck is a great choice. You can carry a lot, easily live in the back, defend yourself, and travel over many kinds of rugged terrain. It runs on diesel. In a worst case scenario you could manufacture your own biodiesel. More likely, you could get by with a portable pump to draw fuel from gas station tanks (assuming electrical power was knocked out). You would also have 55-gallon drums with spare fuel. Lastly, you would have multiple vehicles in case one broke down.

One word - Canyonero

Cardinal

Cyburbian
One word - Canyonero

Back in the 1980's the government came up with the brilliant idea of buying pick-up trucks and blazers for the military, in an effort to subsidize the US auto makers. Not very practical. Have you ever tried firing an M-16 from one of these? There is no room for it in the cab, and hanging out the wind you can only fire in some directions. They are not tactical vehicles.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
If Urban19 became a zombie, he'd look for you everywhere. However, he'd probably be a very easily confused zombie... :a:

Now, since I live in a small community up in the woods, chances are very good we'd hear about the outbreak before it got to us. There are six bridges leading into the area, and the rivers and creeks are very fast, especially the ones coming from the nearest population center. Those, we'd blow, leaving only one to barricade and protect, that leads to forest land. That's for hunting parties and scouts. We'll also blow the highway tunnel near the pass, and downstream bridges to keep vehicles from getting close to the community.

Mobilize the police to protect against looting food sources, which will need to be rationed until gardens can be planted for vegetables. Hunting parties may need to raid in metro areas, but most meats will be wild game. They will also locate and commandeer heavy weaponry, since outsiders won't be allowed unless they possess a very special skill we need.

A party would need to be sent to blow two downstream dams, then salmon and steelhead fingerlings will be released from the fish hatchery, to create new runs in addition to the ones that already exist.

The upstream dam would be placed online and would serve the area with electricity, and in the meanwhile, our large generators would keep essential functions open.

There are two large hills between the rivers that will be clearcut to provide fields of fire, and the logs would be built into barricades that would be manned in shifts by locals. The large prairie area (10 square miles) would be planted with crops under guard when planted and harvested.

Finally, perimeter patrols will be scheduled and done routinely as much for bands of renegades as zombii.

That'd be my plan.

This is actually a good plan.

What would happen if the Apocalypse happened to the greater society and local cooperation broke out! :D

Planit

Cyburbian
Three Tampa Bay Rays players were sharing a home during Spring Training in Port Charlotte, FL and it was broken into and several items were stolen. One of the items Rays 3rd baseman Evan Longoria had stolen was an AK-47. Here is a quote from the article:

Two Tampa Bay area gun experts said the main use of the AK-47, a high-powered rifle first made in Russia, is for recreational shooting, such as at a range.

"The only time a person would need a rifle of that magnitude (outside a range) is if they're fending off zombies," said Fritz Casper, an instructor at Shooting Sports, a N Dale Mabry Highway gun range and shop in Tampa.

The AK-47 is a common choice for gun enthusiasts, he said, mostly because it is cheap, available for as little as $300 to $400.

"It's a ubiquitous gun," Casper said. "It's inexpensive. It's simple to use. It's simple to fix."

Do you think Evan had trouble with zombies?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Three Tampa Bay Rays players were sharing a home during Spring Training in Port Charlotte, FL and it was broken into and several items were stolen. One of the items Rays 3rd baseman Evan Longoria had stolen was an AK-47. Here is a quote from the article:

Two Tampa Bay area gun experts said the main use of the AK-47, a high-powered rifle first made in Russia, is for recreational shooting, such as at a range.

"The only time a person would need a rifle of that magnitude (outside a range) is if they're fending off zombies," said Fritz Casper, an instructor at Shooting Sports, a N Dale Mabry Highway gun range and shop in Tampa.

The AK-47 is a common choice for gun enthusiasts, he said, mostly because it is cheap, available for as little as $300 to $400.

"It's a ubiquitous gun," Casper said. "It's inexpensive. It's simple to use. It's simple to fix."

I bet he likes to hunt with an AK47. You know as practice for Zombies. You can't eat zombie meat, so when you shoot a deer with 8 million bullets, it is kind of like zombie meat...

otterpop

Cyburbian

I can see that. Zombies really hate baseball.

Tom R

Cyburbian
We'll be safe here in Ohio, at least for a while. Everything happens here 20 years later than anywhere else.:not:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I wonder if zombies will have the right to vote. Come to think of it, they already get elected to public office, so maybe they do.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Whatever we do, we can't repeat the failures of the past. Check out this account of the battle of Yonkers from the great historical document (book) World War Z by Max Brooks:

http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Yonkers
as found at Zombiepedia:h:

Absolutely awesome. Who would have guessed there was a zombie wiki page. I will need to bookmark in case I need it quickly. Thanks TO ! :)

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Both World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide were written by Max Brooks, son of Mel Brooks. What a strange direction Max decided to go in...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Gonna go git myself one of them vulcan cannons to repel a zombie attack

th_SmileyMachineGun.gif

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Whatever we do, we can't repeat the failures of the past. Check out this account of the battle of Yonkers from the great historical document (book) World War Z by Max Brooks:

http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Yonkers
as found at Zombiepedia:h:

WWZ is possibly the greatest audio book ever! The producers managed to put together an entire cast to read it instead of the usual just one narrator for all the people.

For those into podcasts and zombies, I recommend We're Alive - A Story of Survival (free through iTunes). You must start at the beginning though to really appreciate it. Not only is it full of action, it's also a tear-jerker at times (of course, I cry at life insurance commercials too). Be advised though, it can be an addictive listen, especially when you are still catching up and see that the next episode is already in your iTunes just waiting to be listened to...

More zombie love... Did anybody here get into The Walking Dead on AMC last year?

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian

More zombie love... Did anybody here get into The Walking Dead on AMC last year?

I have been following the comic of The Walking Dead for a couple of years now.

The AMC version started awesome, then went in weird directions.

The whole diversion with Merle, the red neck never happened in the comic version, an needn't have happened in the series. There is enough going on they didn't need the diversion. There are plenty of human protagonists. Eventually they run into one of the top ten evil protagonists of all time (a vote of evil villians of all time was taken at like comic con or something).

Still very good though.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Question:
How do we as planners, prepare ourselves to regulate uses of land and other such "allowed" uses or "conditional" uses in the post zombie world? Do zombies abide by a Planning Commission? Do building codes need to be changed through wall separators designated "zombie" or "non-zombie" areas? Do we fine zombies for non-compliance?

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Another question:
Should we create a Zombie Use District (ZUD) with tax incentives to encourage zombie migration to dying cities? They won't need most municipal services.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Another question:
Should we create a Zombie Use District (ZUD) with tax incentives to encourage zombie migration to dying cities? They won't need most municipal services.

Very nicely done. But could you imagine the head ache phone calls?

"No! You have to put down at least half the value of the property in improvements to recieve the tax incentive! I already told you, you can't pay for the improvements OR your taxes in brains!"

Stupid jerk zombies, all they ever want is free brains...

otterpop

Cyburbian
Apparently our government has failed us yet again. Only today, almost halfway through - I found out that May is Zombie Awareness Month. Where are the PSAs? Where are the zombie apocalypse seminars at the Learning Annex?

Major props to Obama, though. He made sure the SEALs gave Osama bin Laden a head shot, so that sucker won't be coming back as the Living Dead. Of course wrapping him in a sheet and dumping him in Davy Jones' Locker helped some too.

The One

Cyburbian
Well.....

There is a seminar being held in Phoenix regarding ZOMBIE SUBDIVISIONS:-o:r::lmao:

Here in Arizona we are used to zombies every time we go to Walmart, Kmart or any grocery store before 5PM......Octogenarian Zombies that is......they walk just as slow while often moaning and producing other "noises.":-o:-c Only it's worse because they somehow and quite inexplicably drive vehicles:-o8-!

PS: We simply MUST get a zombie emoticon MODS!

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
I am concerned that I am turning into a zombie. I have had a slight cold for several days now and an urge to bite people.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
Must be craving for Jeeps, Mudhens, Hungarian Hot Dogs, good art, or glassware.

Hahaha! How did you know? Actually, I really am! I am on the hunt for a way to come back to T-town for a week this summer. Toledo brains are best served from behind 3rd base at a Hens game!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
USA Today article: The CDC zombies return with a new comic book

Coming off the tremendous success of its controversial Zombie Preparedness blog posting in May, the CDC health preparedness and response team has now produced an appropriately gruesome online graphic novel that tells the story of a couple struggling to survive a zombie pandemic.

Weblink: http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies_novella.htm#

Check out the news coverage of this release by searching Google News for CDC zombies.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I love this thread because it has lasted for 8 months... and it is about Zombies...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I love this thread because it has lasted for 8 months... and it is about Zombies...

How long do zombies last? At what point in their decomposition are they no longer whole enough to function?

Would mummies make good zombies, or are they too dry and brittle?

If someone is embalmed can they still become a mummy?

HomerJ

Cyburbian
How long do zombies last? At what point in their decomposition are they no longer whole enough to function?

Would mummies make good zombies, or are they too dry and brittle?

If someone is embalmed can they still become a mummy?

I think each fictional zombie universe says different things on how long zombies last. In 28 days later, some zombies start dying from starvation (I don't know if they need human blood to survive or if they are actually supposed to be eating food but can't because the virus makes them so rabid). In the George Romero movies it seems as if the zombies can go on and on with no end in sight.

I think to become a zombie, another zombie has to bite you while your are still alive. Once you're dead, that's it. So any mummies that get up and start walking around are doing it through some sort of voodoo magic.

If I was going to guess all of the different ways mankind could actually die off, it seems that a really nasty virus is a really plausible outcome. Maybe I am assuming that with science advancing so quickly someone could easily breed some sort of massive hyper-airborne virus that we wouldn't be able to cure or vaccinate in time. I suppose some massive asteroid coming out of nowhere is always likely to (since it's not even a matter of if but when), but I just don't see us nuking ourselves into dust. It would almost be too theatric.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Contest for anyone that wants to be a Zombie on TV: AMC's Walking Dead

http://www.thewalkingdeadsweepstakes.com/

ENDS November 27, 2011

One (1) Grand Prize: The opportunity for a three (3) day/ two (2) night trip for the winner and a guest to a location to be determined in AMC's sole discretion for a Stagger-on Role for the winner only in Season 3 of The Walking Dead..