• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

WTF 👽 Preparing for a Zombie Apocalypse [split from 'Do you have your bunker']

Tarf

Cyburbian
I should think that if someone is trying to eat your brains and/or turn you into a zombie, you are fully justified in killing them. You also are justified in taking pleasure in doing so, as with Woody Harrelson's character in Zombieland. You're just not allowed to kill Bill Murray.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
I think each fictional zombie universe says different things on how long zombies last. In 28 days later, some zombies start dying from starvation (I don't know if they need human blood to survive or if they are actually supposed to be eating food but can't because the virus makes them so rabid). In the George Romero movies it seems as if the zombies can go on and on with no end in sight.

I think to become a zombie, another zombie has to bite you while your are still alive. Once you're dead, that's it. So any mummies that get up and start walking around are doing it through some sort of voodoo magic.
:snip:

Unless you are the Resident Evil variety zombie, in which case it is a reanimation virus and the dead could totally walk again! Stay away from the graveyards man! That is all I'm saying.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
I should think that if someone is trying to eat your brains and/or turn you into a zombie, you are fully justified in killing them. You also are justified in taking pleasure in doing so, as with Woody Harrelson's character in Zombieland. You're just not allowed to kill Bill Murray.

I guess that is the real dilema. How do you know they are actually trying to eat your brains? Bill Murray was not.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Must be. It says the police officer shot the perp fatally several times. Normally it only takes one fatal shot to kill someone.

Rule #2 of Zombieland – Double Tap.

You think it’s dead (technically it was before you shot it), one more makes 100% sure.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
HEADLINE: After gory incidents, online 'zombie' talk grows

Zombies have been around in our culture at least since Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" was published in 1818, though they really took off after George Romero's nightmarish, black-and-white classic "Night of the Living Dead" hit the screen in 1968.

On uncrate.com, you can find everything you need to survive the apocalypse — zombie-driven or otherwise — in a single "bug-out bag." The recommended components range from a Mossberg pump-action shotgun and a Cold Kukri machete to a titanium spork for spearing all the canned goods you'll end up eating once all the fresh produce has vanished

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It has been a few years, but BUMP THE THREAD

zombie-apoc-tips-tv.jpg

Situation: You are at work and all the news channels break in that there is a zombie apocalypse happening in your area. The Zombies are attacking anything that moves. What do you do? Are you prepared to deal with such a thing?

The One

Cyburbian
Yup

All I have to do is get to my Jeep.....it has 4x4 so while it may be slow going on the way home....let's just say I have high clearance :-c

Dan, we need a zombie emoticon for this and zombie subdivision threads:h:

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Got it all planned out: We get the fam together as quick as possible in Big Red. Get the guns (I'm not totally manly, but it's the west, I have guns) and unleash Shane to make a gas can bomb (to blow the causeway) and then we head out to Antelope Island to steal a boat. Once the boat is secured with our supplies, we head over water to Fremont Island - unreachable even in drought, with a nice, high peak for lookouts in every direction. So why did we blow the cause-way to Antelope you ask? Because we want there to be only limited access by people/zombies to the buffalo herds on Antelope. They're going to be our protein / blankets etc. source. There are only two springs on Fremont for fresh water. We have to defend those, but you can't sneak up on Fremont. We use the boat every so often to make a slightly dangerous run to Antelope Island for buffalo meat, etc. and the rest of the time we dry farm some fruit trees and vegetable crops and hole up on Fremont and shoot everything and everyone that comes remotely close from a nice safe distance with the scopes. The girls are actually very good shots, and Shane likes to burn stuff. :)

We could use trustworthy allies for the new town of Fremont, if any of you happen to be able to make it to the valley, get to the east shore of the lake where we can see you, and display the Macy's star so we don't shoot your ass.

ursus out.

The One

Cyburbian
Ahhh.......

On bringing EBOLA to North America:

1. Stupid
2. Dangerous to transport a bag (person) of virus
3. They don't know how it was transmitted to the missionary workers
4. So EBOLA is less of a national threat than my emails and phone calls to the NSA.....really??? See #1 above!!!!

otterpop

Cyburbian
Got it all planned out: We get the fam together as quick as possible in Big Red. Get the guns (I'm not totally manly, but it's the west, I have guns) and unleash Shane to make a gas can bomb (to blow the causeway) and then we head out to Antelope Island to steal a boat. Once the boat is secured with our supplies, we head over water to Fremont Island - unreachable even in drought, with a nice, high peak for lookouts in every direction. So why did we blow the cause-way to Antelope you ask? Because we want there to be only limited access by people/zombies to the buffalo herds on Antelope. They're going to be our protein / blankets etc. source. There are only two springs on Fremont for fresh water. We have to defend those, but you can't sneak up on Fremont. We use the boat every so often to make a slightly dangerous run to Antelope Island for buffalo meat, etc. and the rest of the time we dry farm some fruit trees and vegetable crops and hole up on Fremont and shoot everything and everyone that comes remotely close from a nice safe distance with the scopes. The girls are actually very good shots, and Shane likes to burn stuff. :)

We could use trustworthy allies for the new town of Fremont, if any of you happen to be able to make it to the valley, get to the east shore of the lake where we can see you, and display the Macy's star so we don't shoot your ass.

ursus out.

I like your thinking. Being a Westerner, I also have firearms, camping equipment and a boat. If it all goes down, be looking for us. We'll have the Macy's star.

I'd considered Wild Horse Island on Flathead Lake, but the winters would be bitter cold.

ursus

I like your thinking. Being a Westerner, I also have firearms, camping equipment and a boat. If it all goes down, be looking for us. We'll have the Macy's star.

I'd considered Wild Horse Island on Flathead Lake, but the winters would be bitter cold.

Deal. Winters here are more mild so I definitely think you should come to Fremont...but I recognize there'd be a lot of zombified country to get through, so we'll take the long view and keep a lookout for the star.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Islands will only work if three things apply:

1) Zombies can't swim.
2) Zombies can't walk under water.
3) the lake does not freeze over, allowing the zombies to cross.

I do not think the first two questions have been adequately explored in the scientific literature.

I still favor a strategy based on mobility, using military vehicles on the wide-open plains. Zombies can be spotted at a great distance and there are almost unlimited directions in which you can move, at several times a zombie's pace, to evade them. Add .30 and .50 caliber machine guns and you can easily defend yourself from a large-scale assault.

ursus

1) Zombies can't swim.

I do not think the first two questions have been adequately explored in the scientific literature.

I still favor a strategy based on mobility, using military vehicles on the wide-open plains. Zombies can be spotted at a great distance and there are almost unlimited directions in which you can move, at several times a zombie's pace, to evade them. Add .30 and .50 caliber machine guns and you can easily defend yourself from a large-scale assault.

The constant motion option scares me. Motion is a big variable to add; mechanical failure, fuel, inclement weather, darkness, excessive munitions use. Everything is a limited supply, so if you head for the easily navigable terrain, I would assume you will be moving almost constantly. Use your military vehicles, but use them to get to Fremont Island. We'll be waiting for you.

DVD

Cyburbian

1) Zombies can't swim.

I'd have to agree about the argument on the first two. Although I don't think zombies can swim, nothing says they can't walk across the bottom. It's not like they need to breath or anything. now maybe if the lake had sufficient alligator population that would enjoy the occasional rotting corpse I might feel safer. I figured the nomadic lifestyle (with occasional trips to the Ursus Island) would be best. You can collect supplies by making runs into cities. you can farm out in nowhere since the zombies naturally live in the cities. And you could trade for the good stuff Ursus would be missing on his island! You know you want what I can get.

My other idea would be to tie a couple houseboats together out in the middle of Lake Powell. No zombies walking under water to get me there.

ursus

I'd have to agree about the argument on the first two. Although I don't think zombies can swim, nothing says they can't walk across the bottom. It's not like they need to breath or anything. now maybe if the lake had sufficient alligator population that would enjoy the occasional rotting corpse I might feel safer. I figured the nomadic lifestyle (with occasional trips to the Ursus Island) would be best. You can collect supplies by making runs into cities. you can farm out in nowhere since the zombies naturally live in the cities. And you could trade for the good stuff Ursus would be missing on his island! You know you want what I can get.

My other idea would be to tie a couple houseboats together out in the middle of Lake Powell. No zombies walking under water to get me there.

I'll have to remember to stockpile things you might want to trade for. Valid point. Lake Powell sounds nice, it's just the getting there that scares me to death, and there's the protein in the bison heard close to Fremont. Where else can you isolate a self-propagating, already existing herd of protein-rich grass eaters with no predators and nowhere to go? I'm telling you, the Fremont model is infallible (if the zombies can't swim or operate boats, I'll admit the science is unclear....and not really science.)

otterpop

Cyburbian
In the zombia apocalypse, zombies would, of course, be a big problem. But I think the bigger problem is the non-zombies - they are the ones who are going to compete against you for the safest places to hold up and will be trying to take your stuff. You may well end up shooting more humans than zombies.

As far as whether zombies can swim or can walk under water, hard to say. I still think an island is your best bet for a haven. I don't see zombies swimming or walking under water willy nilly. They probably would have to see you before they would try that. How good is a zombie's eyesight? I think it would be out of sight, out of zombie mind.

Sounds like Ursus has picked a pretty good site for his area. The island has fresh water, which is a big thing. Many islands have no fresh water or it may be limited seasonally. He has the bison available on another island. Though I think I might try to steal some chickens from somewhere - for eggs and a chicken is a good size protein source (feeds several people with no waste and they grow fast.)

In the hypothetical zombie acocalypse, I think the key strategy is to get the military involved at the git-go. Activate the National Guard, Army and Marines and send them out to mow down zombies with ruthless efficiency. They have the weapons, they have the training, and they probably still have flame throwers to toast the bodies afterwards.

And we pray that the zombie virus doesn't affect pets. Zombie dogs would be a big problem.

DVD

Cyburbian
In the zombia apocalypse, zombies would, of course, be a big problem. But I think the bigger problem is the non-zombies - they are the ones who are going to compete against you for the safest places to hold up and will be trying to take your stuff. You may well end up shooting more humans than zombies.

As far as whether zombies can swim or can walk under water, hard to say. I still think an island is your best bet for a haven. I don't see zombies swimming or walking under water willy nilly. They probably would have to see you before they would try that. How good is a zombie's eyesight? I think it would be out of sight, out of zombie mind.

Sounds like Ursus has picked a pretty good site for his area. The island has fresh water, which is a big thing. Many islands have no fresh water or it may be limited seasonally. He has the bison available on another island. Though I think I might try to steal some chickens from somewhere - for eggs and a chicken is a good size protein source (feeds several people with no waste and they grow fast.)

In the hypothetical zombie acocalypse, I think the key strategy is to get the military involved at the git-go. Activate the National Guard, Army and Marines and send them out to mow down zombies with ruthless efficiency. They have the weapons, they have the training, and they probably still have flame throwers to toast the bodies afterwards.

And we pray that the zombie virus doesn't affect pets. Zombie dogs would be a big problem.

Things like chickens are what my nomadic style can provide for Ursus Island. It's a cooperative effort.

Of course the military we all know would be the first to go - well after police and fire. There never seem to be any left after the apocalypse. However I would have no problem running an aircraft carrier with the right crew. In flight range of Ursus Island, have nuclear power that will last years, desalinization plants, you just need a good steady food source. With the hanger space you can probably start a farm.

I do agree, zombie dogs will be a problem. So will cats. Just regular cats, not the zombie kind.

The One

Cyburbian
READ IT

All of you need to read Max Brooks' World War Z or better yet, have it read to you!! His zombie survival handbook explains everything you need to know and more.

YONKERS!!!!

michaelskis

Cyburbian

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Now that raises an interesting question of climate.... How well do zombies do in the colder regions such as Michigan in late January? Or is it like the white walkers from Game of Thrones?
I would say that snow and ice would impede zombies; however, normal rules of nature don't seem to effect zombies. I mean you would think that flies and vultures would be more prevalent.