• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Prereqs for grad school?

simulcra

OK, so here's the situation.

I'm entering college in september.

Right now, I'm leaning most towards a profession in the planning biz. I just dunno what specialization or whatnot.

But i wanna keep my mind open to other options.

The point: if/when I do grad school in urban design/planning/gis, whatnot, do i need a specific undergrad education requirement? Because I was (as of now) planning on doing a sociology major with an urban specialization for undergrad education. maybe with some public policy analysis mixed in.

H

Cyburbian
for what it is worth...

If you are truly interested in what you stated you are thinking about studying in undergrad, that is a great prereq. But honestly there is a wide range of many great prereqs for planning grad school. And grads schools look well beyond what you study in undergrad. I studied psych. Just study what you are interested in and the rest will fall in line.

...My 2 cents.

SGB

Cyburbian
I agree with Huston. My undergrad degree was in Environmental Studies & Sociology.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Ditto. I was a Sociology major and took some urban studies coursework as well.

I'm sure a well-rounded undergraduate program will be fine. I'd recommend taking the basic economics and statistics courses so you don't have to do it in grad school.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have been thinking about going back for my Masters here in a few years. I was able to get a B.S. in Planning from NMU. I am not sure about how much longer the major will be there because of lack of interest among students. They have two Amazing planning professors who show you the "REAL" planning world. It is some limited theory, but 5% is hands on work, going to city planning and zoning meetings, speaking with private consultants, and working with "REAL" problems in the community. Both professors started out as planners, and went back to teach. I would recommend that undergrad program to ANYONE. It is well rounded, up to date, and you also learn allot of GIS, Zoning, Public Speaking, working with neighborhoods, and the general politics what planners deal with on a regular basis.

For more information go to http://www.nmu.edu/records/2003-2004ElectronicBulletin/Geography.htm

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Not necessary. You're thoughts follow closely what I did, Public Affairs, Sociology, Geography undergrad here. I had my first Directors job at age 24 and finished my MPA while working full time.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I started out in Landscape Architecture (4 yr program not a 5 yr)
finished in Geography.
then there was that 8 yr gap until grad school.