• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Places Presenting Legazpi, Philippines...

EsquireHare

Cyburbian

This is Legazpi, the city I was born, raised, and currently live in. This is a very beautiful small city of 300,000+ population. It has some of the most scenic views in the world...

EsquireHare

Cyburbian
Some facts about Legazpi...

Consistently among the most competitive cities in the Philippines, Legazpi ranks 2nd most competitive component city in 2020 as measured by the Cities & Municipalities Competitiveness Index (CMCI). It has been among the top 5 since 2016.

The city is where the perfectly-symmetrical volcano, Mt. Mayon, can be clearly seen on a beautiful sunny day. It may still be seen during bad weather as clouds sometimes clear the view. The volcano is one of the most active in the entire world, having erupted about 50 times since 1616, its first ever recorded eruption. Its frequent activity, however, makes it rarely fatal.

Legazpi's name sounds foreign to the islands. Well, it is foreign, having been named after the Spanish conquistador, Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, the first governor-general of the Philippines. It was known as "Sawangan" when it used to be a small tribal village before its transition to cityhood. It was the boom in the abaca trade (Manila Hemp) that evolved it into a city during the late 19th century and early to mid 20th century.

Being located on the Pacific Ring of Fire, Legazpi is one of the most vulnerable to climate-change-induced natural calamities. Typhoons hit it every year since 2014. Its susceptibility, however, made its officials experienced in disaster risk reduction operations such that it has consistently achieved zero casualty for years.

The calamities are, however, just one side to the city as its very beautiful views of the majestic volcano and the ocean entice tourists from all over the world to see its beaming beauty...

What beautiful photos! Who took them?

In the first four pictures, the photographer appeared to be high up somewhere, (a "summit")- where one has a gorgeous, panoramic view of the city and and water. Are you at liberty to tell us the location of this summit?

EsquireHare

Cyburbian
^^Thank you! I took all those pictures with iPhone XS. I think it's the phone that made the pictures that beautiful. :)

Yes, the first four photos were taken on top of a ridge somewhere in the southern part of the city. The ones on the boulevard were taken at the seaside boulevard. The second to the last was taken at the airport, and the rest were taken at our house's rooftop.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Thanks for the short photo and narrative essay.

It definitely is a nice looking place and very different than the region I live in - Southern Great Lakes region of the USA.

EsquireHare

Cyburbian
Thanks for the short photo and narrative essay.

It definitely is a nice looking place and very different than the region I live in - Southern Great Lakes region of the USA.

Welcome! Yes, it is really a nice place with so many tourist attractions all over. Lots of people from other places are enamored by its striking beauty, and there is no other place like it in the entire world. Because of this, I consider myself very lucky to have been born here. It's one of my greatest inspirations in life and has turned me into an urban planning enthusiast. I dream with great hopes that I will be given the rare opportunity to beautify it even further through a good urban planning system (I feel it's still very far from reaching its maximum potentials). :)

EsquireHare

Cyburbian
This thread was initially posted to promote my city for tourism purposes. Although, in pictures, it looks very beautiful, there's still a lot more to be done to it, particularly in regards to its urban planning and mass transportation systems. I would be posting in the near future its flaws and imperfections and seek your suggestions on how we can further beautify this city to further elevate its residents' comfort and convenience.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Thank you for sharing the pictures. I had never heard of Mayon but it's really quite spectacular to look at and some of the photos online of recent eruptions are really fascinating!

EsquireHare

Cyburbian
Thank you for sharing the pictures. I had never heard of Mayon but it's really quite spectacular to look at and some of the photos online of recent eruptions are really fascinating!
Will really be worth your visit some day, but you need to stay here for quite some time because clouds often cover the volcano. Peak season is from March through May when it's summertime. :)

EsquireHare

Cyburbian
Fantastic thanks for sharing! Not too sure about the smoldering volcano though . . . .
It's rarely fatal anyways. It's a volcano alright but the good thing is that it has a perfect shape so tourism kinda offsets all the negative things associated with it. There's agriculture and quarrying industries too that keep the local economy afloat especially now that there's pandemic that heavily restricts tourism. :)