• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Press finds another HOA story....

el Guapo

Capitalist
Florida Homeowners Group Tells Woman To Remove Virgin Mary

SARASOTA, Fla. -- A homeowners association told a family to remove a 3-foot-tall statue of the Virgin Mary from their front yard because it violates the association's deed restrictions.

Agnes Bambu, 80, placed the statue last year when she and her son, Anthony, and daughter-in-law, Dianne, moved into the home in the upscale Mote Ranch subdivision in unincorporated Manatee County. She had the statue in her yard for 19 years at her previous home in Pennsylvania.

"I don't think it's harming anyone," Bambu said. "She seems to protect everyone, look after everyone."
Read the rest of this at: http://www.wftv.com/news/2720786/detail.html

"This is an abuse of power," Dianne Bambu said. "The bylaws of a deed-restricted community supersede your right as an American citizen."
Yes, they do Dumbass. When you sign the little contract buying the home you may want to read it first.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It makes me wonder what happens when somebody from Cheektowaga moves into one of these communities.

SGB

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
It makes me wonder what happens when somebody from Cheektowaga moves into one of these communities.
You mean all those Cheetowaga properties with the lovely decorative style aren't already in HOAs?

I just thought that no one in their right mind would do that to their property unless some HOA board was forcing them to.

;)