• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Pro-Bowl and other All Star events

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This weekend is the NHL All Star Tournament. It is made up of the best of the best in the NHL. however there have been a couple of players have decided to pay the fine instead of play in the games in case they get hurt and to rest up.

The NFL, MLB, and the MBA have similar events.

What are your thoughts on these All Star teams and games. Do you think they have any real meaning or are they worthless. Do you think players should be fined if they choose not to participate?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We are moving into a period where we want to pay athletes tons of money because of the risks they take, but are okay with them not taking those risks.

I completely agree that many of those risks are unreasonable, which is why I would never let my kids play football, but I also understand that if they do, they should be allowed to play the game. And if you make it to the NFL and get paid millions to play the game, you should play the game.

I do not care about the all-star games, as those are really events made to make the league money. But I do take offense to the idea that these players can't play a full season, or need rest days beyond what every other player has to do, because they want to be have longer careers or think it somehow reduces their risk of injury, etc. That is why you are paid WAY too much money. For the risk and likely scenario that your career may be short.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My ex and I went to the Pro Bowl in 1995 (IIRC), with my F-I-L who was an NFL ref (line judge). It was wonderful for him to take us because we really hadn't had a honeymoon and a few days in Honolulu is better than nothing, right? Anyway, what I remember most about the game is natives peeing off the balcony walkways at the corner of the stadium onto unsuspecting fans walking by below. Which, now that I think about it, seems apropos for an "all star" game.

Planit

Cyburbian
Being selected and playing in All Star games, at one time, was considered an honor and the players were proud about it. Now I think its turned into more of a gimmick.

Players decline citing reasons for extended rest, heal an injury, being with family - all valid and reasonable. However in the past, it was always good to see the best of the best play in a friendly competition. This has now turned into a heavy offense & little defense game, which degrades the game into a farce in many occasions.

IMHO, Bud Selig ruined the MLB All Star game when he ended the game in a tie, then made up rules to make it mean something (home field advantage in the WS). NBA All Star game is just seeing the next guy try to out-dunk another. NFL moved the Pro Bowl to the week before the Super Bowl meaning the players on the 2 best teams can not participate - turning it into the Almost All Star game. NHL, I don't know. MLS has tried to keep it entertaining by changing the format - Best American players versus the best of the rest; best MLS players play a major team from somewhere else in the world and such.

The value to the All Star game overall has diminished.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The NFL's Pro Bowl is a waste of time. Granted, all the individual players are highly talented, but they don't really train or play as a team, and there's really nothing on the line to motivate the players to give their best, so they invariably turn into mediocre sporting events to watch. Meh.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I agree the Pro Bowl is a total joke. And I get why it is. In the days when players really didn't make a lot of money they got a nice bonus for making the game and then the winner's got a bigger take from the league. That still is the same but the money they would make for playing in a completely meaningless game pales in comparison to their salaries now. And quite frankly, making the Pro Bowl isn't that big a deal. The All Pro team is much more prestigious.

zman

Cyburbian
I like watching the skills competition for both the NHL and NBA All Star games... but haven't sat and watched any actual all star game in well over a decade.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the NHL all star game. I don't think there should be a fine.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
MLB has the best motivation for their All Star Game: The winning league earns home field advantage for the World Series. For those ASGs that occur mid-season, I'd like to see more of that.

AG74683

Cyburbian
MLB has the best motivation for their All Star Game: The winning league earns home field advantage for the World Series. For those ASGs that occur mid-season, I'd like to see more of that.
Not anymore. That changed in 2017 as a function of the new CBA. Now it's determined by the better record of the two pennant winners.

I only have interest in the skills competitions. NBA slam dunk contest, NHL skills competitions, MLB home run derby, those things. The actual games are just kind of lame. I mean for fans in attendance they're great because you get to see the best of the best (or in the NFL's case, the almost best) play in one place at one time. I do like that the NHL has mixed it up by having all stars from each division compete. That's kinda cool and leaves room for more guys to play.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Oh, that's right, I remember hearing that. Well then the MLB ASG is useless too!
Yeah I don't watch that game at all. They have done great things with the home run derby though. It is a lot of fun to watch now.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I watched quite a bit of the NHL All Star games. I like the 3 on 3 format and it is evident that other than the goalies, the are having a lot of fun out there.

I hear that there was some football thing this past weekend too... but I didn't watch.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Pro Bowl was on and I watched it for about 10 minutes while channel surfing. The defining moment I saw was a runner getting "tackled" - which meant the runner was going down the field and the defender grabbed him and he stopped running, & I don't mean tackled/knocked down, I mean just hugged.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I watched quite a bit of the NHL All Star games. I like the 3 on 3 format and it is evident that other than the goalies, the are having a lot of fun out there.
I'm not a fan of 3-on-3, especially when used for OT. (I don't much care about the ASG so, meh.) To me it seems like whoever can control the puck has a distinct advantage, so if you lose the faceoff you're outta luck- the other team plays keep-away until they can get a good shot.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The Pro Bowl was on and I watched it for about 10 minutes while channel surfing. The defining moment I saw was a runner getting "tackled" - which meant the runner was going down the field and the defender grabbed him and he stopped running, & I don't mean tackled/knocked down, I mean just hugged.
All one really needs to know and understand about Pro Bowls is summed up nicely in that description.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

I hear that there was some football thing this past weekend too... but I didn't watch.
The 3 on 3 makes it fun. Plus it's only 2 10-minute periods.