• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Certification Professional Transportation Planner® (PTP) certification from Transportation Professional Certification Board

Doberman

Cyburbian
I have about 4 years in land use planning and almost four in Transit Planning.

While I'm not AICP'd yet, I was look awhile back at their Transportation Planning Certification after you are certified, but it appears that program is gone. I came across the Transportation Professional Certification Board awhile back which seems to offer a similar pathway as what AICP offered. While I had never heard of this organization, I do not believe that is surprising since there are very few Transportation Planners and it's fairly niche.

While everyone likes to put letters behind their email signature, I would also like to get better trained and educated in Transportation Planning and this seemed like a pathway without taking more college courses.

Please let me know your thoughts. I've included the link below and appreciate your feedback as always.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Interesting. I also had not heard of this organization and based on their newsletters, it looks like they've been around since the fall of 2012. Since I don't know anyone who carries this certification, it's hard to put value on those letters added to a business card. On the other hand, I agree -- better training and education is always good. (Not to mention that HR Departments don't specialize in planning, transportation or otherwise, so the certification may get you interviews even though the PTP program may not be well known.)

If you want more education and training in your field, I think the certification could be worth your time. At the very least, you could explain the organization in a job interview and then be able to discuss the additional training and CE you've gone through with that certification.

Doberman

Cyburbian
Interesting. I also had not heard of this organization and based on their newsletters, it looks like they've been around since the fall of 2012. Since I don't know anyone who carries this certification, it's hard to put value on those letters added to a business card. On the other hand, I agree -- better training and education is always good. (Not to mention that HR Departments don't specialize in planning, transportation or otherwise, so the certification may get you interviews even though the PTP program may not be well known.)

If you want more education and training in your field, I think the certification could be worth your time. At the very least, you could explain the organization in a job interview and then be able to discuss the additional training and CE you've gone through with that certification.
Thanks for the feedback. I think that would be helpful as well. From the list of reference materials that are used for testing-out, it seems like the training modules would be worthwhile based on that.

Since the AICP does not have the Transportation Planner certificate anymore, this is the only thing similar I have found.