• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Propinquity

jresta

Cyburbian
My gf picked this shirt up for me while she was in NYC last summer. (this is the only picture i could find of it) I didn't really get a chance to wear it much since it was pretty late in the summer when she brought it home. I started wearing it around town recently and one afternoon i was contemplating how many smiles and compliments it brought.

I got the distinct feeling i was living on a social and political island. I never thought to be uncomfortable about wearing it in my neighborhood, or even the rest of the city really but i would think twice about wearing it to certain parts of the suburbs and even in that case not because it would be confrontational but for the same reason i wouldn't wear it around my grandmother - people would be offended.

discuss.

The only thing it makes me think of is a conversation I had online a few weeks ago with a foreigner (who speaks English as a second language -- or perhaps a third language) who kept referring to the president of the U.S. as "your Bush". I kept doing a double take and wondering if I should be offended. I eventually explained to him how that could be misinterpretted. He found that pretty funny. :-D

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Its a funny concept but the same people might have different reactions depending on where they see you. A suburban commuter who sees you outside a South St. record store will think "Gee, Philly sure is happening and countercultural. You see all types here!" If the same guy bumps into you in his neighborhood or at Target he'll think "MY GOD! WHO WILL PROTECT OUR CHILDREN!!!" People have an expectation that certain non-conformist things will be confined to certain parts of the city.

Watch for the creepy guys who stare at the shirt too long. ;-)

otterpop

Cyburbian
I agree with the message (I am no fan of the Dubya), and it makes me smile. Howeve, I think the t-shirt is mildly off-color. I would not be offended, but I don't think it is appropriate for kids or people of genteel temperments to be exposed to. This t-shirt is a much milder form of an issue I have with public displays of racy or obscene expressions. Like bumper stickers or t-shirts with obscene words, sexual meanings, etc. Expressions of free speech, yes. Inappropriate viewing for some people (children, or the genteel), probably so.

Habanero

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
I agree with the message (I am no fan of the Dubya), and it makes me smile. Howeve, I think the t-shirt is mildly off-color. I would not be offended, but I don't think it is appropriate for kids or people of genteel temperments to be exposed to. This t-shirt is a much milder form of an issue I have with public displays of racy or obscene expressions. Like bumper stickers or t-shirts with obscene words, sexual meanings, etc. Expressions of free speech, yes. Inappropriate viewing for some people (children, or the genteel), probably so.

Yeah, but I'd wear it to a bar!! :-D Can you tell me where to find one of these? It'd be a nice addition to my collection of weekend shirts.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Gotta agree with the above. You have kids, you worry about what they see. You have old parents, you worry about what they see. It would be cute at adult-type events, though.

jresta

Cyburbian
I guess it has become my "bar shirt" more or less.
interestingly enough it draws the most audible reactions from younger black women and 50-something white couples.

Habanero -
You can just Google - Good Bush/Bad Bush - and click "i'm feeling lucky"

jresta

Cyburbian
otterpop said:

So i take it you don't have the "Planners do it inside the UGB" bumpersticker?

otterpop

Cyburbian
jresta said:
So i take it you don't have the "Planners do it inside the UGB" bumpersticker?

Hmmm. Never seen that one. Might sport it at a planner conference to see if I could get lucky!

jresta

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
Hmmm. Never seen that one. Might sport it at a planner conference to see if I could get lucky!

That's prob. 'cause i just made it up. Run with it.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
..... People have an expectation that certain non-conformist things will be confined to certain parts of the city.

Watch for the creepy guys who stare at the shirt too long. ;-)

GOOD JOB JRESTA!

@Seabishop
That expectation is only that, an expectation. People need more nonconformity it thier lives :-D Whats the point of going to a place and conforming with other non-conformists! 8-!

Its so much more fun to get out there and scare the hell out of people where they are so comfortable! :-D

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
jresta said:
My gf picked this shirt up for me while she was in NYC last summer. (this is the only picture i could find of it) .

I'm sorry, but I cannot allow this thread to continue without a post that includes a photo of said girlfriend modeling the shirt. It's just ... required, you know.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Dan forgot to say he was wearing his "mod hat" (and also forgot to include the "pure BS" pseudo-code before and after). :-D

But I did think it was funny or I wouldn't be raggin' on him. :)

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Are you guys demeaning the 'good bush' or 'bad bush'?
Because definitely this looks like showing the bad bush in poor light.
So how can some thing very bad be compard to something very good.
Conclusion:
Good bush is also not that good. Eh!
Sorry guys I am a little serious here.
You people definitely don't seem to beat around the Bush!!

PS: Am just curious
1.As I am not aware of the socio-political situation in the US, I can't comment on it. But most of you guys sure are against your present prez. Or is it just anti establishment.

2. I'll leave this my post at the mercy of the moderators. :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Habanero said:
Yeah, but I'd wear it to a bar!! :-D Can you tell me where to find one of these? It'd be a nice addition to my collection of weekend shirts.

Ditto. I'd add it to my collection of bar shirts which include:

Mullet 3:16

and

No one knows I'm a lesbian 8-!

Doitnow!! said:
Are you guys demeaning the 'good bush' or 'bad bush'?
Because definitely this looks like showing the bad bush in poor light.
So how can some thing very bad be compard to something very good.
Conclusion:
Good bush is also not that good. Eh!

PS: Am just curious
1.As I am not aware of the socio-political situation in the US, I can't comment on it. But most of you guys sure are against your present prez. Or is it just anti establishment.
They are demeaning the "bad bush". A lot of Americans are not happy with the war, amongst other things, so a lot of folks aren't happy with president Bush. I don't really follow politics and even I know that much. :-D And it is something of an American tradition to take a critical eye to our government. That is sort of how we were founded, you know. :)

Sex is generally joked about as being A Good Thing here in America. I don't think anyone here really believes it is always a good thing and has no downside. But, then, I am pretty conservative and sometimes accused of being Naive. :-D I got married at 19 and I don't always want to know that Americans aren't necessarily joking when I think, Surely, they MUST be. o:) I am probably not a "typical" American and may not be the Best Person for answering your question. But, what the heck, why shouldn't I? :-}

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Doitnow!! said:
Am just curious

It is an American pastime to be critical of our leaders, even one as good as Ronald Reagan. We like to exercise our right of free expression* to voice displeasure when an elected official does something we don't like. It does appear to me, though, that the current president, and perhaps the last one as well, have generated more ardent critics than have some of the other recent presidents.

* Interprested by John Ashcroft as the "right to agree."

Doitnow

Cyburbian
If its about Free Expression, then it is something I can understand.

Specifically:
But your president is also a citizen of the USA( like all of you).
To what extent would an individual( a president) go for personal interest, ego, desire, psychophancy or even vested monetory interest as to not take care of the basicand objective national interests.
I am sure that your current prez is trying to continue a legacy of what the earlier guys have institutionalised.
Also in your kind of government sdtructure how can so much be put on one persons shoulder. It seems impossible that a president can function singularly and be held responsible for such decisions. What I mean is that the senior advisors( the core team). What about them. Does one also hear them being criticised and being lampooned this way. Are they absolved.

General:
War is bad but one can't just sit around(on the assess I mean).Somebody has to do the dirty job.
Is the the way the war has been handled that the people are unhappy about?

My side of story:
I can recall some recent war/battles that our country has been successful in ( thanks to the institution of the armed forces), although the victory overshadowed the screw ups the politicalheads/bearucrats did.
Victory comes from hard sacrifice even if it is for taking what is rightfully yours.
As far as chatting about politics, it happens to be one of the largest consumers of public time in our country too. Only that bashing up poticians directly and openly is not common and public.

And definitely Yes!. Sex and Politics are the two evergreen topics of discussion( I'm sure the world over)
So this thread does highlight that relation between the two. :)