• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Public Hunting

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Our community is in the implementation phase of a Conservation Plan, wherein we are acquiring easements and fee simple title to over 1000 acres of land. The "powers that be" have removed those lands from the jurisdiction of the Park Board and established a separate Commission to oversee them (not wanting them to be groomed, etc. by the Board stacked with that bias). I need to develop regulations for hunting on public lands. Any help? Buehler?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I would contact the State DNR guys and look at their regs. It may be that you can get them to do the whole thing for you :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yeah been there. They gave us too much bureaucracy and not enough meat-n-potatos rules.

Jeff

Cyburbian
That stuff is all regulated by the State (and Feds if you are hunting birds). Check with the State Game Commission and just regulate by saying something to the effect that all users of htese lands will follow the Hunting Rules and Regs established by such and such Game Commission.

Generally the biggies you want to look out for are the seasons, shooting hours, orange, safety zones around residential areas, weapons, etc.

But like I said this is already established in your state. You can go to any of the Mart where they sell hunting licenses and get a copy of the regulations with season dates and everything else.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yes, the seasons are regulated, but many of the land regs are local around these parts. Thanks EG, the MO site was helpful.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
bturk said:
Yeah been there. They gave us too much bureaucracy and not enough meat-n-potatos rules.
Ah yes... I remember. My undergrad degree is in Fisheries and Wildlife Biology, I worked for the DNR for a few years before I bailed to take this cushy city job. They do seem to have a lot bureaucracy, it was hard to get anything done as a peon.

donk

Cyburbian
A series of suggestions when you do planning for multiple uses that include hunting. (This comes from experience of being shot at... by accident)

1) Assess wildlife habitat and trail location. Try not to have pedestrian and cycling trails cross areas where shooting is likely. At the Potawotami Trail, in Pickney Michigan a hiking/biking trail runs across the top of a ridge. Unfortunately, hunters like to sit at the bottom of the ridge and shoot up the hill. I've had bird shot come within a few feet of my head.

2) Signage for tourists and non local users that the area is used for hunting and what the typical seasons are. Once we learned that people hunt squirrels in October, we stayed away during squirrel season.

3) You may want to require special permits and licenses to limit the number of people using the land for hunting so as to preserve the area for teh hunters and for the safety of the hunters and others.