• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Public notification (was: A vent)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
A vent (kind of long, sorry)

Oh my God, I am so fustrated right now.

Originally, the City and the BPU (City owned utilities) had their own separate maps. Everything was on a separate map - zoning, addresses, historic districts, utilities, etc. etc. etc. We wanted to be able to implement GIS and incorporate everything onto one map with different layers. We all did a lot of research to figure out what exactly we were looking for. For example, to figure out my 300' buffer I was using a compass, and had to look up each address for the property owner and then type the labels. At the time, they engineering techs refused to use anything other than Auto Cad.

Today I mention that there is a bunch of zoning that doesn't line up with the parcel lines (and they are supposed to), and he tells me that they once again have separate maps for everything - each utility, zoning, addresses, etc. all have different maps. OK, so that's what we've been working toward the last three years - to go back the way it was??? So, he will change a parcel line and not adjust the zoning or whatever. And then tells me that that's how it is going to be until he realizes he needs to have it changed - that's just the way it's going to have to be.

He started making excuses about how the program works and why it's so hard, and I tell him it shouldn't have to be that difficult. Then he had the nerve to tell me that I don't know what I was talking about. I am the first to admit that I don't know everything about mapping and GIS, but I know my fair share. I said that to him and also mentioned that it's not my department so how they want to operate is none of my business. He said 'your right, it's not'. For what it's worth, I was being nice throughout this whole conversation.

OK, so this program is still basically useless. I can find out the size and location of utilities, and the zoning of a property, and it will tell me my 300' buffer, but I still have to hand write the addresses and then type out the labels. I know it's not all about me, but other than providing info, our mapping does nothing. It's not my department, so I can't dictate how or what they do, but I use the information A LOT. I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect correct and some what up-to-date information. Plus, he gets paid more than I do, so what the hell has he been doing the last 3 years???

Sorry for babbling, but at least I feel a little better......

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
At a previous job, we required any applicant that needed address lables to send out public notices to submit them to the county. It was their job to do so. At my current job, we have a cool program developed in house that is linked to the County GIS. Our GIS planner keeps the maps current. We just have to click the button on the program and the lables are generated for residents and property owers with 300 feet. We download the county layer every couple of weeks to keep ownership current.

Habanero

Cyburbian
We also require the applicant to provide the labels, but if they are to inept to call the county tax office we can look it up through there.

What your asking for shouldn't be that hard for him to produce if he's worth what he's paid. It shouldn't be that hard to have zoning match up wtih parcels- you can either use the same polygon, and add new info, or use the tools in ArcInfo to line everything up. I thought that was basic GIS.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
The issue appears to be a lack of inter-departmental cooperation. While I have never heard of that happening, I suppose it could. You need to take it to a higher organizational level...and watch it die a slow death. After you leave, someone will see that you were right, and never give you credit. Feel better now?

Queen B

Cyburbian
Mike you are such a #@it of course that is the way it will happen but you didn't have to be so blunt!.

The dream of how GIS is suppose to work, is hard for some people to grasp.. Sometimes we must remain steadfast against what seems in surmountable odds. I truely suggest that you implement and maintain good GIS network connections (people that love GIS for what it can do) and continue to tell everyone the benefits of the system. One it will help you to focus on your dreams and two if you just can't change the system where you are, you might find a better job elsewhere. Hang in there. GIS is worth it, you are not crazy!!!!!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Queen B said:
Mike you are such a #@it of course that is the way it will happen but you didn't have to be so blunt!.
But he spoke my mind. Mike Gurnee is dead. Long live Mike Gurnee. ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
I attempted an "address matching" job like this before, and it turned out to be quicker doing it the old fashioned way. Getting address data on a county-wide level to correspond with tax parcels is a tremendous amount of work, especially when you factor in rural delivery, multiple owners, estates, and vacant properties. Remember, just because there is a tax parcel there, it doesn't mean that is where the mail goes.

We ended up scrapping the idea until the Post Office was ready to provide and maintain the database of address. Doing so would be just too much trouble for a planning agency to do.

Wulf9

We require applicants to provide the notice list prepared by a title company. You typically get an honest result that way. Of course they make mistakes - like using 3000 feet rather than 300 fee in one case.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
mike gurnee said:
The issue appears to be a lack of inter-departmental cooperation. While I have never heard of that happening, I suppose it could. You need to take it to a higher organizational level...and watch it die a slow death. After you leave, someone will see that you were right, and never give you credit. Feel better now?
I don't really think it is lack of inter-departmental cooperation - it's someone that is too damn lazy to do their job (and do it right) and expects everyone to deal with it. Of course this situation is pretty usual in most job situations, but I just needed to vent. While it most likely won't change, I don't have to think it's acceptable.

:)

SGB

Cyburbian
Wulf9 said:
[BOf course they make mistakes - like using 3000 feet rather than 300 fee in one case. [/B]
Hey, better to notify too many than none at all! ;)