• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Public Workspeak

Cardinal

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl was once a turd herder, watching the muffin monsters and brown trout swimming down the sanitary sewers. It was worth a new thread.

Public works people have their own language. What are the colorful terms your folks use?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Our leave-sucking truck is referred to as "Lewinsky". As is, "Hey Zeke did you lewinsky Burningwood Lane yet?"

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
well now that the sponge is back we will have UFOs in our sewer lines again-thats what they called them before.

or the "solids" down at the waste water plant-that was the...stuff that had to be burned after the water was cleaned, had to do something with all that.

the "bugs" the bacteria that you let loose in the sewage treatment plant to break down the...solids

grey water-storm run off

"stickies" were condoms that plugged up a line from a house

im sure ill of more give me time-im a
proud turd counter (being that i did some flow measurement stuff)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Bipolar retail - a single business that sells two or three types of items, none of which are related to each other. Some examples I've seen:

Denver, Colorado - tires and Mexican music
Denver, Colorado - quick lube and coffee house
Winter Garden Florida - prefab sheds, trampolines, and baebecues
Winter Garden, Florida - prefab sheds, bulk wood chips, and prefab pools
Winter Garden, Florida - antiques and auto rental

1mvc493s.jpg

Litter on a stick - billboards.

Fence canyon - collector or arterial street lined with walls or fences along the rear end of double-frontage single family lots.

Garagescape - the view along a street where "snout hoses" with visually dominant garages dominate.

Redneck row - retail strip dominated by vehicle-related uses; used auto and truck sales, heavy equipment rental, auto parts and tire stores, truck cap and bed liner stores, auto mechanics and body/collision shops, and so on.

Back-of-a-napkin drawings - very crude drawings submitted as exhibits for building permits or other aspects of the development review process. Usually drawn by the applicant, not to scale, not showing property lines, spelling errors galore, non-traditional writing implements used (crayons, gel pens, etc), and so on.

The Dark Side - where a planner goes when they leave the public sector, and work as a consultant for a developer or wireless company.

donk

Cyburbian
Coney island white fish for condoms. read it in a book.

I worked one summer for a water utility, got to go out in the field a few times. The worst was when they took me to a job near a strip joint and what i saw in hole. I did not drink water from the tap in that municipality again.

The funniest was teh story of the line with poor pressure that appeared to be clogged so they kept flushing with detergent and bleach and then super pressurized and out shot a white racoon that had crawled into a line not properly capped at the end of a days work.

For Dan's bipolar businesses - bike shop / wood stove store (there are 2 here in NB)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hmmm....I don't think traffic engineers are as funny as the waste guys.

Pork Chop Island - little traffic island formed by a right-in/right-out driveway access.

Sneeker traffic that turns left during an amber/all-red phase at a signalized intersection

traffic sewer roads given totally over to cars (backlotted, no sidewalks, etc.)

I'll try to think of some more...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
donk said:
I worked one summer for a water utility, got to go out in the field a few times. The worst was when they took me to a job near a strip joint and what i saw in hole. I did not drink water from the tap in that municipality again.
I'm dying to hear the story, Donk!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Bipolar retail -
prefab sheds, trampolines, and baebecues
Add some snack foods, car parts, and sports equipment, and you'd have the average Canadian Tire store. :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We don't have any bipolar retail, but we do have the classic --Chinese restaurant next door to the pet store.

H

Cyburbian
Darkside

The Dark Side - where a planner goes when they leave the public sector, and work as a consultant for a developer or wireless company.

Actually, the “Darkside” as a consultant is a very needed link between the “evil” developer and the “good” public sector, finding a middle ground that results in positive progress.

That’s the goal anyway.

nerudite

Cyburbian
"get out the hand puppets" -- what we say to a co-worker that has to deal with a dense customer/developer that we know will have a hard time understanding a concept (however simple)

"march madness" -- reflects the huge jump in current planning applications getting ready for the construction season

"planner roullette/the answer game/fishing for planners" -- when a customer doesn't like an answer and keeps calling other planners to see if they'll get one they like (this has a lot of other names... but these are the most common here)

"weed watch" -- spring time code enforcement sweeps looking for unmown vacant lots

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
nerudite said:
"planner roullette/the answer game/fishing for planners" -- when a customer doesn't like an answer and keeps calling other planners to see if they'll get one they like (this has a lot of other names... but these are the most common here).
Heard that concept before ... quite a bit. The terms I've hard used are dialing for planners, fishing expedition and shopping spree.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Bipolar retail - a single business that sells two or three types of items, none of which are related to each other.
There's a hair and nail salon/barbeque joint I know of.

BKM

Cyburbian
NAPOTS

Just got through talking to one of our engineers, and he used a new one to describe a remanant parcel that is being dedicated to the City: NAPOTS-Not A Part Of This Submittal.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Bipolar retail - Barbershop/Ice Cream Parlour (Keene, Ontario)

Another traffic term:

Suicide Lane - another name for Centre Left Turn lane

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
"old folks curb" valley curb we only had it in retirement type areas so their wheelchairs could get over the curb

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Italian lawn - a residential front yard that is entirely paved over.

Buffalo's West Side used to be the city's traditional Itlaian-American neighborhood. Many of the houses on the West Side are just a few feet apart, with no off-street parking. Many neighborhood residents paved over the front yards of those houses, to provide an off-street parking space or two. It helped that Italian-Americans were dominant among the area's asphalt and concrete paving tradespeople.

Unfortunately, the custom continued after the city's Italian-American population drifted away from the area in the 1980s and 1990s. Even in city neighborhoods or suburban areas with plentiful off-street parking, you'll still see the occasional house where most of the front yard is paved over, or a circular driveway is crammed into a 50' or 60' lot. You'll see the Cadillacs, the ornate ironwork, the surname initial on the garage door, the address in script lettering ("One Hundred Twenty Two") above the door, and think "mama mia!"

Collector - someone who "collects" inoperable vehicles, usually of the Confederate or rural persuasion.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Darkside

Huston said:

Actually, the “Darkside” as a consultant is a very needed link between the “evil” developer and the “good” public sector, finding a middle ground that results in positive progress.

That’s the goal anyway.
Kind of like Igor to Dr. Frankenstien?

Our DPW guys introduced me to TWLTL (pronounced twitle) for two-way left-turn lane, and Scheebee, for a jog in a road.

H

Cyburbian
RE: Michael Stumpf re: Darkside

To clarify;

That was a response to Dan's previous post. I don’t think I know the format for “quoting” yet.

Jeff

Cyburbian
"Jersey Junk" -- Usually consists of a rusted out Buick, sitting on blocks in the front yard, maybe some old appliances, also on th efront lawn, and how could I forget, yes, the rusted out school bus, also on the front lawn.

Drive through the Pine Barrons in NJ and you'll see lots o' Jersey Junk.