• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Put me out to pasture....

Rob and I were just chatting in the car on the way back from lunch about how fabulous retirement will be, in just 28 1/2 years. He said that he doesn't think he'll ever want to retire, he enjoys his job that much. I however have about 8 million other things that I'd rather be doing than be gainfully employed.

So what are all y'all's plans?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
"Welcome to Wal Mart. Would you like a cart today?"

nerudite

Cyburbian
Lots of travelling and reading. I have often thought of volunteering for a neighbourhood planning non-profit (there are a lot in California, and some really good ones in Portland). Depending on if I am still with my bf, and one of our sets of parents kicks the bucket (man, that's morbid!) we could retire in either California or Nova Scotia. My parents have a place by Bass Lake outside of Oakhurst in the Sierras, and his dad has a retirement cabin on the beach in N.S.

I was thinking it would be cool to rebuild a car, too.

Oh yeah... and the number one thing I would do... go back to my normal sleeping schedule: bedtime by 4 a.m. wake up at noon. Yay!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Fore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of golfing and travelling, reading and writing. I'd like to stay somewhat involved in the profession (maybe as some sort of Elder Statesman for the Transportation Planning field ;) )

Oh yeah, and I'll be building one kick-ass model railway to hand over to my grandkids!

Habanero

Cyburbian
If I get it my way I'm going to move back to Texas and take up residence at my Mom's ranch- make cheese from goats milk and play with horses everyday.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Diving in Portobello and birding at San Lorenzo

but thats a pipe dream ill never get to retire

:-(

BKM

Cyburbian
Retirement? Hah.

Since I am totally irresponsible with money (The male equivalent of Karyn-anyone want to send ME some money) :), the Wal-Mart option is looking pretty good :(

Jeff

Cyburbian
Cruising the NASCAR circuit in my Winnebago from February until November.

Floridays

Cyburbian
I think I suffer too much from Island Fever -- operating a cabana on the beach and serving up my famous margaritas -- a hammock and ocean breezes.

Although I like my job, I'd be a cabana gal tomorrow if I could!

But until Ed MacMahon knocks on my door...sigh.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I'm sure I'll be dead long before I could retire.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
First, I want to go to a few public hearings as a regular citizen, just so I could finally tell these sorry-ass developers and engineers what I really think of their projects!

Then, chill out on a long cruise and go to Europe.

I guess after that I would have to do something productive, so maybe a part-time job. I always wanted to get a summer job at Disney World when I was in school, but I'm too short, so that's out.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I always wanted to get a summer job at Disney World when I was in school, but I'm too short, so that's out.
OT question: Is there a minimum height requirement at Disneyland? That would be bizarre.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Nerudite: I applied once and had to stand against a wall with height measurements marked on it. I failed. This was to work in the park (NOT as one of the Seven Dwarves). Women had to be between 5'2" and 5'10". They said it was so the uniforms would fit.

Terraplan

Cyburbian
I really would not want to retire... but maybe thats youthful optimism.

I just want to keep on being active, maybe a planner, maybe not, but busy none the less, even if its only overseeing my company for three months a year, and spending the rest in exotic locations or on the beach, or in the mountains.... and with a bit of luck and a lot of hard work on my game farm somewhere in remote and far from the chaos i've created in the cities I leave in my wake.

On the other hand, being the meddling old man at the public meetings who believes he knows better than everyone else, and objects to every possible application does have a certain attraction.......

Terraplan said:

On the other hand, being the meddling old man at the public meetings who believes he knows better than everyone else, and objects to every possible application does have a certain attraction.......
I once thought that I might like to sit on a planning board, but now that i see how they really work, no shot in hell.

kms

Cyburbian
I once saw a small church that was converted into a residence. I'd like to do that - I wouldn't have to be retired, but I'd like to wait until the kids move on. I guess I would be a retired stay at home mom at that point!

Why attend that public meetings voluntarily? It's one thing to be required to attend...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Twenty-six years... oh god, you mean I need to do this another 26 years?

I wouldn't mind teaching, traveling, or just putzing around the farm.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
That's easy - take my earnings from a lucrative planning career and actually develop something for once.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Move to Prince Edward Island with my wife and live on a farm.

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Tim of Green Gables. It has a certain ring to it. But how do you look in a petticoat?

Runner

Cyburbian
I'll have already moved to Portland by the time I hit retirement #2. The wife and I will spend lots of time walking (around town, in the mountains, in the parks, on the beach) and cross country skiing.

Maybe I'll open a pottery studio... in a downtown live over work residence. :)

And IF we even own an automobile we will use it very little.

donk

Cyburbian
Good luck finding a place.

If you are not alredy a resident it is near impossible to legally buy land on the island.

NHPlanner

Staff member
donk said:

Good luck finding a place.

If you are not alredy a resident it is near impossible to legally buy land on the island.
I have family on my dad's side that live there. :) I'm hopeful that the land will be passed along in the family.

NHPlanner

Staff member
nerudite said:

Tim of Green Gables. It has a certain ring to it. But how do you look in a petticoat?
Frankly, I look stunning in a petticoat. :)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Runner said:
I'll have already moved to Portland by the time I hit retirement #2. The wife and I will spend lots of time walking (around town, in the mountains, in the parks, on the beach) and cross country skiing.

Maybe I'll open a pottery studio... in a downtown live over work residence. :)

And IF we even own an automobile we will use it very little.
Nah... you'd HATE Portland. All it does is rain. Yeah, lots of rain.

(This really works sometimes... especially on Texans!)

Habanero

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:

har de har har- I happen to love rain- bring it on!

I'm moving up north to Saratoga Springs, will ride my bike everywhere and spend my days in my garden, at the ymca, join a knitting circle and read books to little kids at the library.

Runner

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:

Might work on native Texans, especially if they are from west Texas but I'm originally from cold rainy Boston and the wife from hot rainy Manila. We will be quite happy taking our walks in the rain. But don't worry we hate sprawl (go UGB!), SUVs (go transit!), and dream of living small downtown.