• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Q For Donk: What's Going On With Cerebus?

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Hey Donk,

I sort of got caught up with Cerebus over the week-end. I think I have been out of the loop. What's going on with the old shrivelled aardvark? Two questions, if you are able to answer them:

1) When was SheShep, Cerebus' son, first revealed? Was it before the whole Latter Days saga? All through Guys and Going Home there was no mention of a son. When did that happen? And when did Cerebus hook up with Jo Anne to make a baby? Was it during Guys?

2) In the current and final storyline, what are these Sanctuaries that Cerebus needs votes for? I've never understood the politics of Cerebus, but it seems like this is a new and recent world order for the Cerebus universe.

Thanks!

donk

Cyburbian
I'll do my best, because I am a bit confused also.

I think his son is from one of the affairs he had during the stories in the bar, or maybe with Jaka? From Going Home to Latter days there appears to be quite a jump in the timeline. Just remember that Cerebus is going to die alone and heart broken. (So rumour has it) I think that this whole se3paration of father and son is Sim making some comment on his relationship with his family due to his religious choices. It is not like Sim to spin yarns / similies from his own life. (ie Reads, Women)

I have no idea what is going on with the vote thing either.

Cerebus is a weird comic for me, the number of times I've almost stopped reading it because it is too confusing or weird then an issue comes along that clears everything up is uncountable. I am hoping the last issue does this.

Duke of Dystopia may have some comments/insight here as well.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
donk said:
Cerebus is a weird comic for me, the number of times I've almost stopped reading it because it is too confusing or weird then an issue comes along that clears everything up is uncountable. I am hoping the last issue does this.
Yeah, I'm a lot like you when it comes to reading Cerebus. I enjoyed Going Home very much, however, once Cerebus was propelled forward in time and Sim started using the Three Stooges and Woody Allen for comic relief, I lost all interest. But I read 298 and 299 last night, was blown away that Cerebus had a son and that he and Jo Anne have essentially cloned themselves. I know the cloning sounds kooky, but the way Sim has integrated it into his religious and political narrative, makes for a possibly dark and interesting ending.