• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The inner chick thread bled into gayness, so did anyone see This show?

I caught some of it last night and it was really funny to me. Especially the end when they eavesdrop on the straight guy and rip on him.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Oh man! That was last night.... I meant to watch that. Looked very funny.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Didn't see it, but I heard about it. Seems like it's pandering to stereotypes; gays are hip, with-it, and knowledgable about fashion and interior design, while straight guys are slobs with apartments furnished in plastic milk crates and beanbags.

It seems like Bravo is trying to evolve into a gay cable network of sorts. It's actually a smart move. Many cable networks are trying to re-invent themselves as of late, such as TNN/Spike and TLC. Bravo is on basic cable on the majority of cable systems in the States, so it'll have an advantage over Outlet, the gay cable channel that's planned by Showtime.and Viacom.

Look at Bravo's programming. There's already the gay wedding and Fire Island shows, along with the various shows about live theater. "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and "Boy meets Boy" are being added to the lineup. Granted, it may be rooted in stereotypes, but it seems like the network discovered a new niche. Why compete with Trio or A&E, when they can reach for the rainbow?

How soon until OLN or the Outdoor Channel becomes a lesbian network?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Leave OLN out of this! Damnit. It is my new favorite channel. American Shooter, Volvo rally car races and the Le Tour De France. If only they played more Indigo Girls music...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dan said:
Didn't see it, but I heard about it. Seems like it's pandering to stereotypes; gays are hip, with-it, and knowledgable about fashion and interior design, while straight guys are slobs with apartments furnished in plastic milk crates and beanbags.
Yeah, but they only pander to that one particular gay stereotype, so I suppose take it for the cheap entertainment that it is. No butch leather biker daddies there.

Lets face it, ever since the first "Airplane" movie silly femmy homos have been funny. ;)

The Irish One

Le Tour on OLN is great. Speed channel as well.

I wanted to watch the Bravo show but I met a knock out Colombian girl yesterday and we hit it OFF and tv left the mind (except Le tour de France).

Lance and team Postal rock -I'm starting a new thread.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy... It's just another part of the vast Homosexual Agenda as discovered and exposed by Betty Bowers, Americas Best Christian. ;)

Last edited:

SGB

Cyburbian
Dan wrote
How soon until OLN or the Outdoor Channel becomes a lesbian network?
EG responded
Leave OLN out of this! Damnit. It is my new favorite channel. American Shooter, Volvo rally car races and the Le Tour De France. If only they played more Indigo Girls music...
EG, you crack me up.

Last edited:

SGB

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Didn't see it, but I heard about it. Seems like it's pandering to stereotypes....
The advertising and media hype about the show made that pretty clear, which is why I avoided watching the show.

Television and film that does any such pandering to any stereotype just really turns me off.

Maybe I'm just becoming more closed-minded as I age? ;)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Dan said:
My fiance and I were talking last night about how this was obviously playing to stereotypes. We saw the ads and pretty much surmised that it was about five uber-stylish fem gay guys giving a typicaly un-shaven slob of a straightman a makeover as they make catty but yet funny, a-la Will and Grace, remarks to each other. We decided to pass...Law and Order was on after all.

Oh and Planner Girl:
Betty Bowers is purely satire. Check out the rest of the rest of the site... Very funny.

Tremendous, LOL. I forwarded the link to my brother, who is EXACTLY the stereotype of the snobby pretentious more-style-concious-than-thou gay guy. It makes my country folk parents insane when he comes home for christmas and has something extremely snide, but funny, to say about their new couch, or my dad's 1970's era brown train conductor suit.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I know, I know - dumb suburban breeders can't even dress themselves or wipe the crumbs from their faces. The gays are bitchy and fashionable . . .

Why do groups always like to see themselves stereotyped in the movies and tv?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Some screenshots.

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Which one is the breeder?

RUGGED!

Actually, that's the Outdoor Channel, as opposed to the Outdoor LIfe Network. Outdoor Channel programming is mostly shows about hunting, guns, fishing, guns, trapping, guns and guns. OLN shows camping, hiking, rock climbing, bike races, snowmobiling, off-roading, and other Coloradoish events.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: all of them are gay

boiker said:
actually those three are gay.

watched it, wife 'forced' it upon me
The one in the middle is the straight guy that they converted. He looked like a roadie for Skynrd when the show started.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Straight guy in the middle....and then he made little pizzas in his towel and went to his art show. :)

Belle

Cyburbian
I noticed NBC has picked this up and is playing it after Will and Grace Thursday, if anyone is interested...

I haven't seen it yet, but I'll give it a try (it couldn't be worse than the other "reality" shows)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Tonight, QEFTSG was on against The Man Show on Comedy Central.

Guess which one I watched? Grab a beer and drop your pants ... send the wife and kid to France ...