• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Question for home-fixer-upper types-

Habanero

Cyburbian
Two questions actually:

1. I have a run in the burber carpet in my house, is there anything I can buy that will halt the run so it's safe to vacuum over it and the dogs don't play with it?

2. Hatcher managed to chew on the wood portion of the banister, what the rails actually anchor to, but just the coner luckily. Is there anyway to fix this? Could I just use putty to fix the teeth marks?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
You can use putty, but I would try and get a high quality epoxy wood filler (some come with 2 tubes, one epoxy and one tube of hardening stuff). Damn, I knew 3 years of high school wood shop would pay off someday!

kms

Cyburbian
If there is a loose piece of yarn hanging from the carpeting, can you push it under the carpeting, throught the run, with a pencil or something?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The guy who installed my berber gave me this advice. If there is ever a run in the carpet, get a pice of scissors and cut off the loose end as low as possible. Otherwise, It will just keep running forever. I suppose you could use a match to melt the loose end, if it is nylon.

donk

Cyburbian
There is a product that is used by knitters to seal ends of threads where they join one another. i think it is called "no fizz". Unfortunately, if you have a walmart in your area they have exclusivity of the product. if not, any good wool or sewing shop should have it. Just explain that you want to stop a run/thread from pulling and they will know what it is.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Yeah! I'll have to try the carpet thing.. but the wodd epoxy stuff really works. I still have a little more to slather on before I can sand it down, but besides the color difference you can hardly tell Hatcher got to it.

:)

Thanks all!

Queen B

Cyburbian
I thought we would be hearing that Sadie (is that right?) was tearing things up. Is Hatcher a little jealous?

I think that whole run thing is the reason that I am not real crazy about Berber. Plus I have never figured out in my home fix it mode how to make a joint.

But I would try hot glue if none of the other methods work. I would cut off the piece as close as I could and glue it.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
I thought we would be hearing that Sadie (is that right?) was tearing things up. Is Hatcher a little jealous?

I think that whole run thing is the reason that I am not real crazy about Berber. Plus I have never figured out in my home fix it mode how to make a joint.

But I would try hot glue if none of the other methods work. I would cut off the piece as close as I could and glue it.
I'm sure Sadie will be terrorizing the house in a matter of days- I came home and James showed me how she learned how to climb the stairs all by herself. Damn little dog can escape now. :) I would hope Hatcher isn't jealous, he's still my puppy extraordinaire- Sadie is more of James' dog, she loves him to deathl; Hatcher is a momma's boy, always will be.
I guess if berber runs I can't mend it and replace a small section then without risking mroe runs?