• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Question for the Eastern Canadians

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
and others familiar with Toronto:
I'm going to be there next month for about a day and a half, with no plans except to wander the city, ride the streetcars, and track down some poutine. Have been to Toronto many times before, but always on a tight schedule. Any suggestions for good neighborhoods to wander in/streetcars to ride/places for poutine etc?

BKM

Cyburbian
For another perspective, check over at www.urbanphoto.net, there are some true Toronto partisans there who can give you some great ideas.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I am very familiar with Toronto, seeing as I live in that great City :)

Toronto has some excellent neighbourhoods for wandering, and depending on what you want to do (shop, people watch, explore), I can come up with a few good examples.

We could have a mini laefest if you want. Donk is in the area too.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to track down good poutine in Toronto. It's more of a Northern Ontario/Quebec thing.

The Queen streetcar probably gives you the best cross-section of the City. You can get a daypass ($7.50 CDN) and wander the system at your leisure.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I visited beautiful Toronto a few years ago and I enjoyed the balance of the neighborhoods' old-world character and the City's urban aspects. You must visit the castle on the hill in the middle of the city (I can't recall the name of the castle). Tranplanner or Donk, do either of you know the castle's name?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that you'll dig Toronto as much as I do. Enjoy! :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Big Easy King said:
You must visit the castle on the hill in the middle of the city (I can't recall the name of the castle). Tranplanner or Donk, do either of you know the castle's name?

That would be Casa Loma. I've never actually been there :-$ It was built in the early 1900s by an eccentric millionaire who eventually went insane (and broke) before it was completed. You get a great view of the downtown skyline from the terrace.

jmf

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
and others familiar with Toronto:
I'm going to be there next month for about a day and a half, with no plans except to wander the city, ride the streetcars, and track down some poutine. Have been to Toronto many times before, but always on a tight schedule. Any suggestions for good neighborhoods to wander in/streetcars to ride/places for poutine etc?

Arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

Just a note to say that Toronto is not Eastern Canada - the land mass east of Ontario, and especially east of Quebec is Eastern Canada.

Anyway, I want was just in TO for a quick visit (didn't even have a chance to see Tranplanner). We went to the Gooderham & Worts Distillery District which I thought was really neat - there are actually a few presentations at the upcoming CIP conference about the redevelopment of this area.

I also love the Danforth area - especially for a greek dinner.

Can't think of a great place for poutine - but in a pinch New York Fries (in most mall food courts) will do in a pinch.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd definately be up for a laefest, if that works out. It will be Saturday the 8th. As far as exploring, people-watching is good. For a girl, I do very little shopping. o:)
And jmf, apologies for the geographic mistake. I blame my USA-centric civics classes.
On a related note, is Fran's still open? They had the best rice pudding....

Hceux

Cyburbian
Searching for poutine?

JMF, I agree with your argh reaction. I had the same response. Ontario is definitely central Canada to Ontarians, but I wonder if Ontario and Quebec is seen as Eastern Canada by Western Canadians.

Plannerbabs. Although I am not living in Toronto right now, I am aware that there are some fast-food chains that serve poutines. I know it won't be a geunine version of poutine as found in Quebec, but it might still interest you. I've had a poutine from McDonald's and from Burger King. I think BK's version is better than McD's. There are BK and McD's all over Toronto even in the downtown core. I'm pretty sure that there's both chains on Yonge Street across the street from Eaton Centre or near there.

I agree with the suggestions (Danforth, Casa Loma, etc) that you got. I'd like to add another small one: visit the BCE place. It's very close to Union Station. Can't remember where the streets that the entrance of BCE place are. Can Transplanner or Donk fill me in here?

Other ideas: the area of St. Lawrence Market (very close to the Union station), the Chinatown-Kensington Market area (perhaps try the Spadina TTC line), the Bloor Street West Village (get off at Runnymede or Jane subway station), and that's it for now.

Enjoy your visit! :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hceux said:
Plannerbabs. Although I am not living in Toronto right now, I am aware that there are some fast-food chains that serve poutines.

Sorry, fast-food poutine comes nowhere close to real poutine. I'd tend to agree with jmf's suggestion of New York Fries as the best of the wannabes. I'll try to find you something better for when you're here PB.

Hceux said:
I'd like to add another small one: visit the BCE place. It's very close to Union Station. Can't remember where the streets that the entrance of BCE place are. Can Transplanner or Donk fill me in here?

BCE is at Bay and Front - it's probably the Galleria (Calatrava designed) that Hceux is talking about. It is nice. The hockey hall of fame is there too :)

Right now, I'd go with Queen West, Chinatown/Kensington, Danforth, and maybe "The Beach(es)". Yorkville is nice too if you want to see how the rich and beautiful shop.

I think one of the Fran's may still be in operation. Can't beat Mrs. Tranplanner's rice pudding though!