• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Question: How close to my property line can I build my deck?

pa2ma2pa

Can a floating deck be built close to a fence? My town zoning documents say nothing about how far from the property line a deck needs to be built, perhaps because there is no such regulation? I am replacing an old deck & want the new one to go back farther.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
You should contact your local planning department for the answer, as each community's codes differs.

DVD

Cyburbian
Yep, the local people will know. I've worked in a few places with a few different answers. Ask questions like:
1. How tall/high/big does a deck need to be before it needs a permit. Some places don't need permits for decks under 2' high.
2. Look for "accessory" standards. Most will tell you an accessory use which can be anything from a deck to a guest house needs to be 3-5' from the property.
3. If your deck if flat ask if you need railing. At some point you need a rail for safety. Can't have dad falling off the deck while he's grilling.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
3. If your deck if flat ask if you need railing. At some point you need a rail for safety. Can't have dad falling off the deck while he's grilling.
Our ~10x10 wooden patio ("deck" if you will) has no railings. I was sitting a chair close to the edge of the deck. Too close. The rear leg slipped off and Dad did indeed fall off the deck. I was fortunate I wasn't hurt. The deck is only about 10" high.

Top Bottom