• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Questions re: sustainable development

jazzmstr

I'm working on a white paper regarding Sustainable Development on the East End of Long Island. I'm looking for info on a definition of sustainable development and the identification of Federal and State regulations supporting SD. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jazzmstr

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Definition from PAS Report 491 / 492

"Sustainable Development - Development that maintains or enhances economic opportunity and community well-being while protecting and restoring the natural environment upon which people and economies depend. Sustainable development meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs."

It's kind of a "mooshy" definition, but its a start...

jazzmstr

Thanks Bturk...

Thanks turk,

I know that's sort of the 'industry" standard definition, but when was this first stated and who decided that this was the definition?