• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Quick Query on Vacation Time?

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
How much vacation time would your employer offer a planner with 30 years of experience? I need to know. I have been offered what otherwise appears to be a sweet deal, but that includes only two weeks vacation.

ludes98

Cyburbian
I work in the private sector. Our firm officially gives no preference to years in the profession only years with the firm. However I know it's negotiable before signing on the dotted line.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
If you have 30 years experience and you are not getting at least 4 weeks, you are getting screwed (in my opinion). Most people with a mere 5 years of employment have 3 weeks. Two weeks is entry level.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I agree with Repo.

I have 14 years in, and I get 4 weeks. At 30 years, you'd better be near 5 weeks even if its a negotiated item prior to hire.

BKM

Cyburbian
That seems a little stingy, but many public sector employers do base their vacation offerings on time with agency.

For comparison: I would get four weeks at 10 years vacation. Plus, management employees get no "comp time" for night meetings, weekends, and extra work time, so we get about 100 hours of cashable "personal leave" per year.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Government, especially in some states, is really stingy with the vacation. I would try for four, and insist on three, without a long wait for four. If they are hiring for a senior-level position, insist on senior-level benefits.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
I forgot to mention that this is a director's position, with supervisory responsibility, and for a jurisdiction that is doing very well financially.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
In my fair city vacation is based upon time of service.

everybody gets 4 personal days.

1-4 yrs = 2 weeks
5-9 yrs = 3 weeks
10-14 yrs = 4 weeks
15-19 yrs = 5 weeks
20 + yrs = 6 weeks

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Last position: 3; now: 2. Not every personnel policy is management friendly. My best was my first directorship: sick and vacation were combined into a single "leave time."

nerudite

Cyburbian
If it's a director's position, you may get management leave as well (often up to two additional weeks). But two weeks for a director is mighty low. Most of the municipalities I've worked in will not budge on vacation time, and it's all based on years served. It's short-sighted in my opinion. My current employer starts everyone out at 3 weeks. Vancouver, WA started everyone out at 4 weeks, but I think they've changed their policy since then. Davis also had three weeks. I think I'd die with only two weeks vacation. Blech.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Ours (a county) gives 6 weeks after 15 years (that's paid time off, sick leave and vacation combined, use as you please), plus one week of "admin" leave as a carrot for going to night meetings.

Wulf9

Management positions here will give credit for previous management experience. I have been here a bit more than a year but have credit for 20+ year's experience. You should ask for more than two weeks if the position is management.

Plan Man

Cyburbian
Lee Nellis said:
How much vacation time would your employer offer a planner with 30 years of experience? I need to know. I have been offered what otherwise appears to be a sweet deal, but that includes only two weeks vacation.
30+ years with the corporation around here gets you five-six weeks vacation time....

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Additional info:
everybody gets 9 sick days,
that if unused can be banked adding up to 60 days.

Vacation can not be banked.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Our county bases the amount of vacation time not on years of experience but on how long you've been with the county.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Unless it's covered in a collective bargaining agreement, I'd be negotiating the vacation time prior to accepting the position.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Because of union and civil service rules, around here vacation time is based upon the time you've been with the city, period. Although, I believe it's negotiable with management (directorship) positions. In my just two steps above entry-level position I can accrue up to two weeks of vacation every year, but can carry unused days over to the next calander year, nine personal days that are bought back if not used, and comp time for those fun evening meetings.

It's not a bad deal but I could always use more vacation time.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I agree that two weeks is awfully skimpy for a management-type position, or for someone with that much experience. You should negotiate for what you want. I know several planners have been successful in negotiating prior to accepting a position. If they really want you, they will make it work.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
You're within your rights to negotiate for more time off. Two weeks is not enough for this type of position.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
I work in the private sector. Our firm officially gives no preference to years in the profession only years with the firm. However I know it's negotiable before signing on the dotted line.
ME to. Where I work you get

0-1 year of employment = 1 week
2-5 years of employment = 2 weeks
6-10 year of employment = 3 weeks
after you have suffered at this place for 10+ years you get a whole 4 weeks vacation and that is it. No more vacation increases.

jresta

Cyburbian
I've been here for two years
in the profession for three years

My first year I got 10 days.
Now I get 15 days - everyone gets 4 personal days.
When you've been here for 5 years you get 20 days.
20+ years it goes up to 25.

We also get 15 sick days a year but they're pretty stingy about how you use them.

Our pay is to tied into the state pension system so you just keep accumulating vacation. There's one guy here who will be retiring a few years early b/c he hasn't taken a vacation day in 20 years.

Needless to say he's not fun to be around.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Thanks for all the info. I realized that the last time I had only two weeks was more than 20 years ago. So we will see if they will negotiate.