• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Quite the Monday...

nerudite

Cyburbian
It has been quite the Monday today... and I notice it's pretty quiet on the boards today too so maybe you are all having the yucko day that I am. My boss (the director) is out for the month on parental leave... since you can't schedule exactly when you are going to have a baby, he didn't finish up everything he was working on. Unfortunately, Friday was my day off... so I came in to a big surprise on my desk (like that I couldn't *see* my desk for all the stuff piled on it). Eep! Not to mention some wonderful Planning Commission and Council reports due in the next two days for a project I haven't been working on. Double eep!

I hope everybody is having a better start to their work week than I did. :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The internet was down at work all day Monday...so you know what kind of sucky day I had...

Blargh. my monday sucked. my best friend's husband just got a job in Rochester and they're moving in three weeks, and I found out yesterday morning. depressing. so i'm feeling a little abandoned. even though it is totally great for them. but *big sigh*

But today is tuesday, all new day, i can spend lots of time on cyburbia, procrastinating getting ready for planning board tonight.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
KMateja said:
Blargh. my monday sucked. my best friend's husband just got a job in Rochester and they're moving in three weeks, and I found out yesterday morning. depressing. so i'm feeling a little abandoned. even though it is totally great for them. but *big sigh*
Hey now - who needs real friends when you have your surrogate cyburbia family here?

I've never done this before but, but this is for you K...

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Hug}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Thanks Tran! I felt the warm fuzzy right through my monitor!

Although, all kidding aside, my husband is concerned that if I don't have enough friends here in Albany, I'll get antsy to move soon. So he's been setting up "play dates" with other couples where he thinks I'll be friends with the wife. I can get my own friends, thank you very much! hee.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Monday was sucko. The rest of the week doesn't look good either. No time to photoshop!

hee! danie, i'll bring my rubberband collection that i save from the morning paper to use as inter-cubicle projectiles!

Habanero

Cyburbian
Oh good..

So it wasn't just me... I swear it's another Monday for me! Must drag myself to the coffee maker in a sec-

K- I'm trying to stay sane in a new place, I just haven't gotten into the groove of everything out here yet. The boy is trying to set up play dates for me as well, and it ends up that his guy friend is really cool, but their girlfriends don't want to do anything fun.. like tubing, hiking, kyacking, ANYTHING!! How are you supposed to play with that?!? I'm going to begin recruiting people to move to the Phoenix area for sure.

What was the name of the book that was about how Americans aren't participating in clubs like they used to 40 years ago - Rotary, Bowling Leagues, Bridge Tournaments, etc. I think I tend to be a pretty social person - my husband would argue that I am possibly too social - but it is really hard to meet other couples in the first place, let alone other couples that all four sides like the other three sides. My husband's best friend's wife is one of the most vapid and insipid girls, possibly ever. Fortunately, we're cultivating a relationship with another couple that lives in our neighborhood, and it is almost like dating - after every "date", we review and replay - maybe I shouldn't have told that priest joke, or worn those shoes. sigh.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
KMateja said:
it is almost like dating - after every "date", we review and replay - maybe I shouldn't have told that priest joke, or worn those shoes. sigh.
I hear you Kelly - we're going through the same thing right now. And in fact, I was looking at it from a similar point of view as your husband - I'd like my fiancee to have more friends around here. But I'm not trying to "set up" playdates as much as it sounds like your guy is.

dbarch

Cyburbian
Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community
by Robert D. Putnam

Haven't read it yet, but it's on my list.