• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Quiz on Atlanta's Intown Neighborhoods and Second Ring Suburbs

This little quiz is based on my contention that not many people really know much about Atlanta, even folks who live here or have lived here in the past. I'm not really gathering results, although it would be interesting to see attempts, even incomplete ones, posted. Using web resources or written materials is fine, even encouraged, as it might serve a good educational purpose.

You are standing at Five Points in Atlanta. The objective is to state how you would get to each of these locations. It is assumed you have some sort of personal transportion (car or bicycle) but if you can also tell how to get there via public transportation you get an extra point for each destination. Efficiency is not an object. If you know a circuitous route you still get the point. The locations for the main part of the test are:

Buckhead
Dunwoody
Doraville
Tucker
Midtown
Decatur
Little Five Points
College Park
East Atlanta

To exhibit more than journeyman knowledge of the city add points for the neighborhoods I listed in the previous post:

Inman Park
Grant Park
Cabbagetown
Virginia Highland
Adair Park
Capitol View
Ardmore Park
Home Park
Ormewood Park
Ansley Park
Kirkwood
Sylvan Hills
the Old Fourth Ward
Candler Park
Oakhurst
West End
East Lake

To show an even higher degree of expertise add the following:

Vine City
English Avenue
Garden Hills
McDonough-Guice
Edgewood
Lake Claire
Oakland City
Mechanicsville
Peachtree Hills
Pittsburgh
Lakewood Heights
Summerhill
Brookwood Hills
Lenox Park
Cascade Heights
Gresham Park
Toney Valley
Grove Park
Bolton
Peachtree Hills
Boulevard Heights
Polar Rock
Peoplestown
Benteen
Fairlie-Poplar
Reynoldstown

H

Cyburbian
I could get to all in the first group.

I could NOT get to the following in the second group:

Adair Park
Capitol View
Ardmore Park
Home Park
Kirkwood
Sylvan Hills
the Old Fourth Ward
Oakhurst

I could NOT get to the following in the third group:

Vine City
English Avenue
Garden Hills
McDonough-Guice
Edgewood
Lake Claire
Oakland City
Mechanicsville
Peachtree Hills
Pittsburgh
Lakewood Heights
Summerhill
Brookwood Hills
Cascade Heights
Gresham Park
Toney Valley
Grove Park
Bolton
Peachtree Hills
Boulevard Heights
Polar Rock
Peoplestown
Benteen
Fairlie-Poplar
Reynoldstown

I have heard of most of these areas, but never have been there and would have to look at a map to see where they are located. They mostly sound like southside areas and I am a northside boy. I have never had a reason to go south of Ponce except to go to the airport or a Braves games.

But I could get to almost every town between ATL and Tennessee. :)

H said:
I have heard of most of these areas, but never have been there and would have to look at a map to see where they are located. They mostly sound like southside areas and I am a northside boy. I have never had a reason to go south of Ponce except to go to the airport or a Braves games.

But I could get to almost every town between ATL and Tennessee. :)

Of the ones you listed you are correct that most of them were southside. Eight of them were northside neighborhoods. I plan on posting answers after the thread has run its course. (I'm on leave from work and locked into one location a lot, so I have the dubious luxury of getting to think about stuff like this) :-D

Larry

teshadoh

Cyburbian
All were easy except for these - though I'm familiar with the names:
Sylvan Hills
Ardmore Park
Adair Park
McDonough-Guice
Pittsburgh
Lakewood Heights
Cascade Heights
Gresham Park
Toney Valley
Grove Park
Polar Rock
Peoplestown
Benteen

As for getting to these places by MARTA (* denotes it's walking distance to a station):
Vine City *
Peachtree Hills
Fairlie-Poplar *
Reynoldstown *
Buckhead *
Dunwoody *
Doraville *
Midtown *
Decatur *
Little Five Points *
College Park *
East Atlanta
Inman Park *
Grant Park
Cabbagetown * - but a long walk around the cemetary
Virginia Highland
Home Park
Ormewood Park
Ansley Park *
Kirkwood *
the Old Fourth Ward
Candler Park *
Oakhurst *
West End *
East Lake
Garden Hills
Edgewood *
Lake Claire *
Oakland City *

Nice list - but you forgot to include my neighborhood - Tacotown!

teshadoh said:
Nice list - but you forgot to include my neighborhood - Tacotown!

Believe it or not I was just thinking about the neighborhood near me which is called Tacotown this morning. The "Tacotown" I'm familiar with has been alternately described as the south part of Cabbagetown or the Northeast part of Grant Park. It's bordered by Memorial Drive, Bryan Street, Boulevard, and the industrial stuff near Parmalat. Is that your Tacotown, or is there another one?

Larry

teshadoh

Cyburbian
Larry Felton Johnson said:
Believe it or not I was just thinking about the neighborhood near me which is called Tacotown this morning. The "Tacotown" I'm familiar with has been alternately described as the south part of Cabbagetown or the Northeast part of Grant Park. It's bordered by Memorial Drive, Bryan Street, Boulevard, and the industrial stuff near Parmalat. Is that your Tacotown, or is there another one?

Larry

It's my very own. We're the bastard child of Grant Park & Cabbagetown's red headed cousin.

teshadoh said:
It's my very own. We're the bastard child of Grant Park & Cabbagetown's red headed cousin.

Until recently my cousin Joyce Brookshire lived on McDonald Street over there (she grew up on Berean in Cabbagetown, moved into an apartment over Leon Little's grocery on Carroll Street after her mother died, then finally to McDonald. She moved to Brannan Towers about two blocks from my house recently).

In the seventies I played pool some at the Crazy Horse there (probably about three sets of owners ago).

Larry