• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Quote Contest: Guess the Professional Planner #1

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Perhaps this is still true today:

the Center for Urban Policy Research at Rutgers University said:
If planners are to have any significant impact on policy, they must seize upon important issues, formulate their own positions, and then forcefully bring their work to the attention of decisionmakers.

Simply stated, planners must become more innovative, more entrepreneurial and more aggressive than they have been in the past. They must become "activists."

Who said it?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I don't know who said it, but boy did he ever get it right. APA has been in existence for 25 years an missed this?

Wild guess: Ian McHarg

Wulf9

I think an activist planner is one who knows what is needed, has the knowledge to express it well, gives decisionmakers the opportunity to make good decisions, and reinforces the decisionmakers when they make a decision in that direction.

BF Skinner rides again.

But I don't know who was quoted.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Activist is the clue.

Think historically.

Ask youself, Which well-known planner has worked for a municipality and turned that planning department into one with an activist ethos?

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
NHPlanner said:
Norm Krumholtz

Yea! Winner! Your prize is a free trip on the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority: