• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

R.I.P. Keiko

nerudite

Cyburbian
Looks like poor Kieko died of pneumonia in Norway only 15 months after being released back into the ocean. I was dubious about the release and whether after so many years a social creature such as a whale could just acclimate itself to another life with other creatures besides humans.

Do you think it was worth all the media and hoopla (not to mention expenses) to give the whale its freedom? Considering that even in the wild it still sought humans for interaction, I think it was just too late in its life.

el Guapo

Capitalist
ludes98 said:
In captivity for 20+ years....definitely too late for freedom.
[ot]
Unless you are a Level-3 Sex Offender (TM). In America we will let you out. Hey, we might even warn the nextdoor neighbors if we have the funds.
[/ot]

ludes98 said:
What an open-ended statement. I could really take this off-topic but I'll be good. ;)

It was probably best to keep Keiko right where she was, although she would have eventually died anyway.

otterpop

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
I was thinking the same thing when my brother announced he was divorcing his wife after 20+ years.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I am very much against keeping wild animals (non-domesticated species) caged. I get sad watching the bears the the zoo. Still, I can recognize that an animal that has not had the opportunity to learn to live a "wild" life is at a disadvantage in the fight to survive in the wild. This is especially true in a species such as whales, where social interaction is such a integral part of their lives. Poor Kieko should have been free to live a life at sea. Denied that most of its life, this poor fish could not be expected to make the transition to a life on its own.

SGB

Cyburbian
Proving yet again that humans are hazardous to the health of wildlife.

RIP, big fella. Go the the light; you'll find your family pod there waiting for ya.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
How did they expect that it would live? after being years locked in a tank, with out of the normal human contact and with little normal contact with others of it's species... It was bound to die.

BKM

Cyburbian
. Denied that most of its life, this poor fish could not be expected to make the transition to a life on its own.
Pedantic nerd hat on:

A whale is a mammal, not a fish.

Pedantic nerd hat off.

In all seriousness, it was atragedy. Sometimes when we try to do good, we mess thngs up even more

plankton

Cyburbian
gtc keiko style

The jetty that Keiko jumps over at the end of "Free Willy" is in the city that I plan for. Anyone know which city that is?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Considering Keiko spent most of his/her life in a too-warm Mexican tank with the resulting skin problems, I think it is reassuring to know that he/she at least had the chance to live in open waters for awhile, get somewhat healthy, and seek what seemed best (human companionship, but not caged in). People were Keiko's pod, I guess.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Pedantic nerd hat on:

A whale is a mammal, not a fish.

Pedantic nerd hat off.
Sorry, but I don't live by The Man's rules. I have developed my own taxonomic structure. If it swims its a fish, if it flies its a bird, if it walks its a mammal.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I saw that about Keiko....how sad. Wonder if he'd lived longer if he got the flu shot?

BKM

Cyburbian
YOU ARE TEH REBEL, KARDINUL! MYSELF, I REBEL BIE DENYING THE OPPORESSIF HEGEMONY UV SPELLING AND GRAMUR :)