• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

R.I.P. Mr. Transportation

R.i.p.

As far as I know, this may be the first Cyburbian to pass away. Charles Kirkland, aka Mr. Transportation, was a former coworker of Big Easy King and myself. He was the sole transportation planner at the New Orleans CPC. He passed away last week after a 7+ month battle with cancer.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It sad when we lose one of our own.

Mod note: Thread was moved and edited.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The transportation planning community is a fairly tight-knit bunch, and I'm saddened to hear that one of us has passed.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
As far as I know, this may be the first Cyburbian to pass away. Charles Kirkland, aka Mr. Transportation, was a former coworker of Big Easy King and myself. He was the sole transportation planner at the New Orleans CPC. He passed away last week after a 7+ month battle with cancer.

Charlie, as he was affectionately known, was incredibly knowledgeable about transportation infrastructure, land use issues, and GIS mapping. He loved the City of New Orleans and traveling abroad. Planderella, myself, and many others enjoyed seeing the abundance of photos and hearing the wonderful stories from a different adventure that he and his lovely wife experienced each summer. It was nice of them to share with us.

I knew Charlie for nearly 10 years and in each of those years my respect for and friendship with him has grown. My respect for him will never wane. He was a credit to our field and his influence will continue. I salute him first as a friend and secondly as a planner.

R.I.P. my friend

michaelskis

Cyburbian
May his memory and all that he contributed to the City of New Orleans and to this web site forever live on. God has intentions for everyone, and from what you said, it sounds like he lived his life far beyond many other people.

My thoughts and prayers are with him, and all those that he has known or influenced.