• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

R Programming in Your Work

hollowmuzic

I just started learning R programming, and I was wondering if anyone here uses R programming (for statistical computing and graphics creation) as an urban planner. If so, what kind of work do you with R?

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I wasn't familiar with R programming until now as result of your inquiry. I can't speak about it specifically, but I do know VBA, python, and fortran. I think any programming language helps you with problem solving and can make you more effective and efficient. Also, they look good on a resume.

hollowmuzic

I wasn't familiar with R programming until now as result of your inquiry. I can't speak about it specifically, but I do know VBA, python, and fortran. I think any programming language helps you with problem solving and can make you more effective and efficient. Also, they look good on a resume.
Thanks for your response! I think I stumbled upon R when I was looking for technical skills I might need to acquire if I wanted to do urban planning research. Python in combination with GIS was also recommended by a few planners on the web. Do you use VBA, python, and/or fortran in your work?

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Thanks for your response! I think I stumbled upon R when I was looking for technical skills I might need to acquire if I wanted to do urban planning research. Python in combination with GIS was also recommended by a few planners on the web. Do you use VBA, python, and/or fortran in your work?
I've never used fortran outside of classroom but it taught me the basic principles of programming. I use vba and python occasionally to automate redundant task so that I can be more efficient with my time.