• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Radio Sucks [formerly part of "Confession Time']

The Irish One

Everyday I'm finding more country music I like. NOT THE RADIO STUFF!!!!

My new country/bluegrass love! Allison Krauss

The Irish one said:

Me too! I've got two Krauss CD's in heavy rotation at work, as well as the Oh Sister, Where Art Thou CD. :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:

I'm with ya. Something about a musically talented woman that is sooo... sexy. Plus, she's kinda hot.

As far as country music is concerned, I have really gotten into blugrass and alt country over the past 5-7 years and realized why I never liked country music before. Country music radio SUX...Banal, recycled crap. I swear that it's even worse than Top 40.

What artist are you finding these days?

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Country, rock, or whatever: The radio just plain sucks. PERIOD!

Even worse are the stations managed by Clear Channel Communications. Want banal, meaningless, repetitive crap? Find a Clear Channel station and sit back. Ho hum.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Anyone have a satellite radio? I was thinking of getting one since the radio does suck so bad.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mike D. said:
Anyone have a satellite radio? I was thinking of getting one since the radio does suck so bad.
Yes. It rocks. I have an after market receiver in my car that connects to my factory stereo. Now I want a portable one for home too.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Beaner said:
Country, rock, or whatever: The radio just plain sucks. PERIOD!

Even worse are the stations managed by Clear Channel Communications. Want banal, meaningless, repetitive crap? Find a Clear Channel station and sit back. Ho hum.
Amen.

[Radio Sucks Rant]
We have Brown U's station which used to be somewhat different but now plays the same crap over and over just like clear channel - and this is from one of the country's most distinguished universities. I can't imagine that any Brown students actually listen to it. For such a politically correct institution they sure have no problem playing angry-white-boy music 6 days a week and designating Sunday as Black music day. Any little college radio station is more diverse.

We also have the FNX radio network across 3 new england locations. The irony here is that the station is owned by the Alternative Weekly Boston Phoenix. The same company that in print thinks they are premier taste makers plays the same Godsmack songs over and over on their own channel.

While I'm at it - why are rock radio DJ's so into pot jokes? Pot's not that funny is it? Our local clear channel has dj's reporting from Amsterdam for pot related reasons.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
No ones' radio sucks as much as mine, trust me. We have a local FM Country channel and an AM channel. That's about all we pick up down here.

Beaner - I actually look forward being home to be able to listen to the radio up there.

It's probably time to split this into a new thread. Regardless of how many stations you may have, radio stations suck in general. It seems like they're all owned by Clear Channel who's dead set on playing the same songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.................................

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Planderella said:
It's probably time to split this into a new thread.
So be it said the moderator. ;)

BKM

Cyburbian
Commercial radio is dominated by Clear Channel in the Bay Area, and you all know what that means :( There used to be a good FM station, but its reduced to the "All Korn, all the time" kinda programming :)

Luckily, I live near enough to decent college stations. I'm sure Nerudite remembers KDVS-it has some great programs (including a death metal program run by the manager of Armadillo Music! )

Still, I maybe listen to the radio 5% of the time. Thank God for CDs.

There are actually a couple of talk show hosts I like (on KGO-Gene Burns is a good, thoughtful "libertarian-liberal" guy who is actually interesting to listen to, but some of his callers, and those incessant AM Radio advertisements-ugh)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Are there commercials on satellite radio? I really think I'm going to get one, at least for work. Then one in the next vehicle purchase.

SO is Sirrus Satellite Radio a decent pick to buy into their stock? I've been up in the air on them for a while now....

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I've given up on radio for music entirely. I listen to Stern in the morning drive, and sports radio from Boston other than that (if my radio is even on).

The Irish One

What artist are you finding these days?
The other band I've been listening to is Nickel Creek. They're local to San Diego (where I live). They're very young and have got some serious creativity.

Jeff

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
I've given up on radio for music entirely. I listen to Stern in the morning drive, and sports radio from Boston other than that (if my radio is even on).
Dude...for a major metropolitan area...we have country (which I listen to the most if listening to the radio) or the all AC/DC all the time station...and of course hip hop/R&B but what fun is that on the radio?

biscuit

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
The other band I've been listening to is Nickel Creek. They're local to San Diego (where I live). They're very young and have got some serious creativity.
There's a great station here in da 'Burgh that plays Nickle Creek, Their cover of Pavement's "Spit on a Stranger" gets spun a lot. Anyway this station is a listner supported non-profit that plays all kinds of good (mostly) non-commercial alternative rock, (No Angry white suburban rap-metal) country (No Shania Twain) and hip-hop (No crappy Ja Rule/J-Lo). It's really about the only radio station I listen to on a regular basis.

nerudite

Cyburbian
BKM said:
There used to be a good FM station, but its reduced to the "All Korn, all the time" kinda programming :)

I'm sure Nerudite remembers KDVS-it has some great programs (including a death metal program run by the manager of Armadillo Music! )
KDVS was awesome... I loved that station! I used to work next door at the Aggie. I used to snake all kinds of free albums and promo stuff from KDVS... and they had the coolest tshirts. I think the one of the burning flag/burning cash in the late 80s was the best one.

As for the Bay Area... what happened to Live 105? It used to be a good station.

It seems like alternative radio isn't all that alternative anymore. I was really disappointed the last time I listened to the End in Seattle, 91x in San Diego and KROQ in L.A. The only station worth listening to in Edmonton is The Bear... but it has a little too much classic rock for my taste. Overall, it's okay... the new music (like the White Stripes) is good, but I can really do without Rush and Kim Mitchell songs. If I hear that stupid "might as well go for a soda" song one more time, I swear I'll rip that radio right out of the dash.

Tom R

Cyburbian
radio

One of the best FM stations in the Akron area is WAPS which is run by the Akron PUBLIC SCHOOLS. They do a lot of on the fringe or progressive rock.

As far as country goes, I like John Prine (trailer park chic), Tom Russell (no relation), Jimmy Dale Gilmore and Iris DeMent.

biscuit

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
The only station worth listening to in Edmonton is The Bear... but it has a little too much classic rock for my taste. Overall, it's okay... the new music (like the White Stripes) is good, but I can really do without Rush and Kim Mitchell songs. If I hear that stupid "might as well go for a soda" song one more time, I swear I'll rip that radio right out of the dash.
Speaking of crap from Canada that's somewhat on topic: I used to love watching MuchMusic on the satellite because they would play a lot of Canadian and European music that MTV or commercial radio would never broadcast (Matthew Good Band, Esthero, Morcheeba, Gomez, etc) But alas, they have morphed into MM-USA and now suck worse than MTV ever did.

On the country front, I also like John Prine, old Sun Volt and Uncle Tupalo, Steve Earle, and the Old '97's back when they were doing punk/thrash country.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
:-/

I think that this might be a good time to mention that my Dad is part owner, the program director, and a DJ for a radio net work (5 stations) in Upper Michigan.

Oh his country station, he does play Allison Kraus all the time... He removed the Dixie Chicks from the system, and his Top 40 station, well, it will rival anything that I have heard out here on the east cost.

Clear Channel Blows. I grew up with a good radio station...

If you do not like your Radio stations, call the station up, let them know what you would like to hear. Many of the Program Directors would be willing to modify the format to please the public.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I rarley listen to music on the radio. Probably because music I like (indie, punk, britpop, and decent hip hop) is not on the radio. We have a local college station, WMSE which plays some good stuff, but not all the time.

When I am at work, I listen to a lof of talk radio (especially Tony Kornheiser and Dan Patrick). Also Microsoft has some great internet radio stataions, as well as Launch.com (you can even skip songs you don't like and inform them to never play that song or artist again.

nerudite

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Speaking of crap from Canada that's somewhat on topic: I used to love watching MuchMusic they would play a lot of Canadian and European music that MTV or commercial radio would never broadcast (Matthew Good Band, Esthero, Gomez, etc) But alas, they have morphed into MM-USA and now suck worse than MTV ever did.
Yeah... I think they did that about two years ago, a little before I moved up here to Canada. In Canada we have MuchMusic, MuchMoreMusic, and MuchLoud (all hard rock). I usually end up watching MMM, which isn't too bad. They have a good 80s show call "reloaded" on a few times a day. MMUSA was pretty bad... with hardly any of the good Canadian content. You are so right that MM in the USA sucks. I'm not so keen on MTV Canada either... just doesn't feel the same. I don't have MMLoud, but I'm a little intrigued. I mostly listen to the radio stations on the digital cable these days.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: :-/

michaelskis said:
If you do not like your Radio stations, call the station up, let them know what you would like to hear. Many of the Program Directors would be willing to modify the format to please the public.
One of our radio stations just changed its name/format to 96X "the new rock alternative". You would *think* it would an alternative station... nope! It's kind of like adult-oriented soft alternative: Creed, lighter Chili Peppers, etc. I wrote them an e-mail saying WTF basically and giving them some format suggestions based upon other alternative radio stations in Canada. Nope... nothing new. I think they are programmed by the networks these days and there isn't much flexibility... at least it seems that way.

SGB

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
I still have a gift card to an electronics big box retailer from Xmas that I haven't spent yet. I've been considering satelite radio, but really don't want to deal with maintaining yet another subscription/bill right now.

However, if one of the satelite radio providers adds Radioio Eclectic I would definately reconsider.

nerudite

Cyburbian
For Internet Radio...

For anyone that loves dance music (Timo Maas, Dirty Vegas, Paul Oakenfield, Paul Van Dyk, etc), www.grooveradio.com has been an awesome source of good music and great djs. It also has a great online community (especially for users in SoCal) with lots of party connections. Fun place all around...

The "station" is founded by Swedish Egil of 80s KROQ fame. An all around great guy and excellent dj. Check it out!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Groove radio is good... ministryofsound.com is better.

...and for the DnB heads ... djmixed.com

BKM

Cyburbian
Live 105 is now Dead

As for the Bay Area... what happened to Live 105? It used to be a good station.
Live 105 is the All-Korn, All The TIme. Station. Very little local content, no DJ control over playlists, universally pretty lame.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
satellite radio

I have XM radio in my car, it's the best thing in the world!!! The only reason I don't have it in my home is because internet radio is just as good. www.shoutcast.com provide a really great variety of streamed radio. www.radioparadise.com is also a favorite.

The comedy stations on XM are great if you like stand-up comedy- uncensored even! Perfect for road trips.

it's only 10 bucks a month...and I don't have to listen to non-stop annoying commercials- wooo hooo!!!!!!!!

BKM

Cyburbian
I have to admit, though, that given my extremely strange tastes in music, I can't expect too much from radio. Not too many stations playing symphonic death metal :(

I want to check out satellite radio. My sister is really sold on it, and it sounds like there are stations playing interesting stuff.

I actually like bluegrass and would agree with most of the comments about mainstream country. Yuck. No better than JLo.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Live 105 is now Dead

BKM said:
Live 105 is the All-Korn, All The TIme. Station. Very little local content, no DJ control over playlists, universally pretty lame.
I still have my plaid live105 bumper sticker in the back window of my truck... one of those little tiny ones. It's been there for about 9 years now. If it sucks now, maybe I should remove it. ;)

kms

Cyburbian
Biscuit, have you listened to the Roots and Rhythm mix on Sundays? It's my favorite, followed by Bluegrass on Sunday nights.

I like to listen to a local station's music. They don't seem to be affiliated with any broadcast syndicate. It's just regular music from 70's - 90's, but has a hometown feel to it. I listen to CD's a lot through the day - Alison Krauss, Bruce Hornsby, and I recently bought one called Ricky Skaggs and Friends Sing Bill Monroe.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Live 105

BKM said:
Yep:

BURN THAT STICKER, NOW! :)
Sorry to disappoint... I tried to peel the sticker off, but it cracked on both sides. So now it reads "ive 10"... at least they won't associated it with the radio station anymore. ;)

biscuit

Cyburbian
kms said:
Biscuit, have you listened to the Roots and Rhythm mix on Sundays? It's my favorite, followed by Bluegrass on Sunday nights.

I like to listen to a local station's music. They don't seem to be affiliated with any broadcast syndicate. It's just regular music from 70's - 90's, but has a hometown feel to it. I listen to CD's a lot through the day - Alison Krauss, Bruce Hornsby, and I recently bought one called Ricky Skaggs and Friends Sing Bill Monroe.
If I've gone out of town for the weekend, I'll often listen to the blugrass show on Sunday nights as I'm driving home. (Weekends away are about the only time I'm in my car anymore) I'll also listen to Edge of the X, a show on one of the local rock station that sometimes plays indy music. What is the dial number of the local station you mentioned in your post?

I also play a lot of CD's during the day at work. When I first started here I would play some rock or punk CD's, but I think that kind of annoyed some of the older co-workers in nearby offices. I then switched to bluegrass but, this being a city and me being from the south, that only caused some good natured ribing from co-workers. If they'd only soundproof these walls...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: satellite radio

bet on me said:
I have XM radio in my car, it's the best thing in the world!!! !
I'm considering XM, although I'm told the sound quality with Sirius is much better.

When I drive to and from work, it's NPR. Still, I'd like to have something for weekends and long-distance trips. Driving through rural Kansas, radio is limited to farm reports, bad high school stations, and Juh-EEE-uhh-suh-hus. Radio in Kansas City isn't that bad (public radio here is outstanding; I get six stations, all good), but it's still lacking compared to what the FM band sounded like when I was a teenager.

Radio in Orlando was AWFUL. There's a good FM talk station, but otherwise it's Southern rock, lots of Korn, hardcore gangster rap, pirate stations with bad local Kill Whitey rap, and Juh-EEE-uhh-suh-hus. The local NPR station sucked, if you could believe it. I could get radio from Tampa and Jacksonville, and it was more of the same. An entire FM band, stations every 200 KHz, filled with audio dreck.

I wonder if you'll find evangelical Jewish radio stations in the New York metro area ...

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
As far as the quality of XM compared to Sirius is concerned, I don't have alot of knowledge about Sirius. I can say that under some random bridges and overpasses, the satellite blips out for a moment with XM. And in parking garages, of course. Has anyone heard of/experienced this happening with Sirius?

Sometimes, when the car is parked in the garage overnight, it will reset itself (not erasing presets or anything). It just sets itself on the default "first time user" station.

Talk radio on XM can be pretty interesting when the subject matter is, but I do prefer NPR over any of the XM talk stations. Talk radio on XM is like talk radio to the extreme.

I really like XM because of the electronica stations and the comedy stations and the lack of commercials and dumb-a#% dj's.

There is a commercial-free radio station in St. Louis and it actually plays a decent selection of tunes, but the pledge drives might actually be worse than stinking commercials and dumb dj's.
Anyway, hope I don't sound like an advertisement, if I do, let me know so I can collect a check or something....

kms

Cyburbian
Bicuit - 103.9 FM is the local station. I like it because I recognize a lot of the songs from when I was younger.

The counties south of Allegheny - Greene, Washington, Fayette, and the southern part of Westmoreland - seem to be a little Southern in nature, almost West Virginia-like.

biscuit

Cyburbian
kms said:
Bicuit - 103.9 FM is the local station. I like it because I recognize a lot of the songs from when I was younger.

The counties south of Allegheny - Greene, Washington, Fayette, and the southern part of Westmoreland - seem to be a little Southern in nature, almost West Virginia-like.
My fiance actually lives in Greene County, which is southern compared to Pittsburgh, but not exactly as much as I'm used to and we may actually get married in Fayette County. We have a meeting down there tomorrow to finalize things.

BTW I have to go to some HUD environmental training in Greensburg in June. Any chance you're going?

green lizard

The Irish one said:
If you like Allison Krauss try Nickel Creek.

Also try this link for real bluegrass

http://www.wsmonline.com/#

Go there and go into LISTEN then ARCHIVES
then THE EARLY BIRD GETS THE BLUEGRASS

They post the last three shows every day.

good real bluegrass and bluegrass roots...

kms

Cyburbian
Biscuit, no I won't be at HUD training. I write env. ed. materials for a grassroots organization - solid waste, littering, etc. are the topics, and they are mostly for children.

If you are on your own for lunch during the training, try Cozumel for Mexican. Or you can try it Downtown or Shadyside. Good food.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
On The Radio....

In reading the posts, I feel as I'm in the company of a lot of kindred spirits; there's entirely too much homogenity on our radio waves which is a recurring theme in other elements of our society like retailing, architecture and other media outlets as well.

If jazz is your bag...that is, the real stuff and not that Kenny G. schlock soft/smooth genre, try hooking up to kuvo.org....

A 24-hr non-commercial outlet based in Denver @ 89.3 FM, KUVO has a great blues show on Sat. evenings and Sundays offers a great mix of Latin programming. They're a real asset to this community...if you're a jazz junkie, you know it's virtually impossible to find it on the airwaves...we're blessed.

donk

Cyburbian
Try living someplace where you only have 2 radio stations, and on a good day might get a third.
At least I can get CBC everywhere.

As for country music, I will continue to sing the praises and spread teh word about Hoyt Axton with John Prine being a close second.

New Country SUCKS, as does DJ/Scratch metal..

donk

Cyburbian
I was thinking more of Linkin Park, Limp Biskit and the crap that has been passing as metal for the last 4 years.

Bring back the good old days of Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Dio.

boiker

Cyburbian
worse than mtv?

biscuit said:
Speaking of crap from Canada that's somewhat on topic: I used to love watching MuchMusic on the satellite because they would play a lot of Canadian and European music that MTV or commercial radio would never broadcast (Matthew Good Band, Esthero, Morcheeba, Gomez, etc) But alas, they have morphed into MM-USA and now suck worse than MTV ever did.

On the country front, I also like John Prine, old Sun Volt and Uncle Tupalo, Steve Earle, and the Old '97's back when they were doing punk/thrash country.
Damn, that's very hard for me to say... at least MMUSA has URANIUM. That show is the closest thing i have to a metal radio station...unfortuantly. Chicago's market is pretty watered down.

Runner

Cyburbian
green lizard said:
Or Deep Purple?
Ahhh, now you’re talking! Deep Purple was one of my favorite bands.

As far as the satellite radio for the car, I don't know. I'm pretty satisfied with preset buttons. Once the ads or stupid talk starts I just jump to another station or if it gets really bad I just go for the CD.

Now an MP3 player might be handy...

The satellite radio might be handy at home but I would have to compare it to what DishNetwork offers.