• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Radio Sucks [formerly part of "Confession Time']

Runner

Cyburbian
bet on me said:
If you have a computer and an internet connection at home, why would you consider satellite radio for your home? Internet radio is just as good.

Well, because I'm a little behind the times with the computer (Pentium II, NT 4.0, 56k modem, 2 little speakers). However the stereo receiver is hooked up to the DishNetwork receiver.

I'm trying to hold off updating the computer for as long as possible.

The Irish One

more thoughts on AKUS

Two Highways by Alison Krauss and Union Station is a great album. Bluegrass takes dedication. Hard working music, some say manic. I'm obsessed with the mandolin, beautiful sound.

No shock that Alison produced some of Nickel creek.

green lizard

Re: more thoughts on AKUS

The Irish one said:
I'm obsessed with the mandolin, beautiful sound.

No shock that Alison produced some of Nickel creek.

There was a bluegrass show on public TV recently.
They produced a CD which is really good.
It has Jerry (something) the great mandolin player,
Alison with Union, Travis Trit with Earl Scruggs and many
others. Good Stuff. I personally like a bluegrass
slide guitar and the guy who plays with AK and Union is the
best.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
...and now radio will suck even more.

Indeed. :(

I have not heard or read one positive comment about further deregulation of media ownership in this country. Even people such as Ted Turner were speaking out against this move by Michael Powell and the Republicans on the FCC. The fact that so many Americans were against this and raised a public uproar over it, only to have the FCC ignore public comment and go ahead shows just how embedded big-business is with this administration.

donk

Cyburbian
Will you have an option to send letters and appear before the FCC when the license's come up for renewal?

If so, look at the original mandate of the station's license and provide comment on how renewing a license for "clear channel" or one of the other oligopoly providers does not meet the intent of the oruiginal license. I'd also send a pretty nasty letter to my elected official and ask how this helps with democracy, access to the media and freedom of speech.

At least that is what I would do here, if I had that concern.

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
...but to some one like me, this change doesn't mean a thing. I already distrust the media. Television sucks. Radio bites. And newspapers aren't that much better off either. I have a number of alternative news sources that I like to read, but it still isn't all that good. Perhaps we will see the emergence of more alternative and controversial media once Clear Channel merges with Viacom and AmericaOnlineTimeWarner in 2005.

Wulf9

The FCC ruling (and similar pro monopoly/oligopoly actions) are the reason we can have an expanding economy and the worst job loss since the great depression.

With the increased concentration of news media and the trend toward creating "local" programming in studios a half a continent away, the media can broadcast "local" programs without many local employees.

So the media giants make increased profits (their definition of economic success) and the aggregate economy has less jobs and less money (every one else's measure of economic success).

On the bright side, there is opportunity for small innovative media to overtake the increasingly ossifying media giants. Listen, watch, support them whenever you can.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
One radio program that does not suck is "This American Life" on NPR. It is an awesome show and it can be downloaded off of NPR's website. An episode that I listened to last night had several planning related stories. This show gives us few skeptics an opportunity to listen to good radio programming.

SGB

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
One radio program that does not suck is "This American Life" on NPR. It is an awesome show and it can be downloaded off of NPR's website. An episode that I listened to last night had several planning related stories. This show gives us few skeptics an opportunity to listen to good radio programming.

This American Life (TAL) is a great show!

Actually, TAL is distributed by Public Radio International. You can listen to the show here.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
SGB said:
This American Life (TAL) is a great show!

Actually, TAL is distributed by Public Radio International. You can listen to the show here.

Oops, sorry about mixing up the distribution. The one great thing about living in NoVa is that Ira Glass and some of the other personalities from This American Life are often invited for presentations, particularly in Reston. Haven't gotten to go to their shows since I am pretty far along in my pregnancy and it is difficult for me to sit still for any length of time.

martini

Cyburbian
Like someone else said...

I feel as if I'm amongst kindered spirits here. Minneapolis used to have a pretty active radio market with Rev 105 being the gate keeper of worthy music. Unfortunately, they were bought out(who ISN'T these days!). On thier last day, in predictable fashion, they played REM's end of the world for 24 hrs. Classic!

Radio K 770 am is our last hope here. It's run out fo the U of M and is only on air sun up to sun down, but can be accessed on line all the time. They play a very healthy mix that rties to reach as many folks as possible.

I also happen to agree on the country thing. The last 4 years for me has been an utter revelation. Steve Earl, Old 97's, Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt (and of course the various incarnations of the soloists, of which, you MUST check out Loose Fur-an amazing album) The Pine Valley Cosmonauts, Hank III, Hank the original, Bob Wills, the Hillbilly Boogie sampler is awesome. Also check out Bloodshot Records. This list is short, and I'm not even touching on BlueGrass which is just as fun. I'm glad taste has found me!