• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Ralph Nader - Courageous 3rd Party Reformer, or Egomaniacal Buffoon?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
No effect on Democratic candidate

He's not a Green this time, so I don't think he will get the same number and level of supporters. Also, everyone that voted for him last time will think twice, because they probably want to get rid of Bush more than they want to vote for their ideal candidate.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Mendelman hit it right on the head. I am a two time Nader voter, but there is no way I am voting for him this time around. I would assume his support is going to be minimal because people want Bush out of there so bad.

He will have a hard time getting on the ballot in all 50 states since he is not running as a Green. I predict he drops out of the race in Sept/Oct and says "I have met with Kerry (or hopefully Edwards) and I feel that he is a strong candidate and voting Bush out of office is more important than our differences..."

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
My fear is that the ABB group Anyone But Bush will vote for whoever, including Nader thus spoiling the very thing they want-to be rid of Bush.

I may not be thrilled with the Dem field but you can bet I will for once tow the party line becouse only united will we get rid of Bush et al.

So yes I think Nader is a problem.

Budgie

Cyburbian
I tend to vote green, because I want the party formally recognized in my state and get a cut of the Federal election funding. Local green party candidates are viable, but state and federal candidates are not viable at this time. The problem with the Green Party at this point is that the most vocal activists are way out on the fringe of the party. It's like Fred Phelps being the only voice for the Republican Party. There are lots of rational Green Party members, who should be embraced by anyone concerned with urban sprawl, which is ultimately a local issue.

BKM

Cyburbian
Buffoon.

I'm not sure I, at heart, could support the Green Party. There is tinge of well-meaning authoritarianism in their platform (from what I can remember). Culturally, I find their ideals pretty appealing, but as a governing party?

The only thing worse than a government or society run by businessmen is a government or society run by self-righteous ivory tower intellectuals. I see too much of that in the Green Party. (Matt Gonzales and his crowd, anyone?)