• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Planning: general Random Planning Thoughts (and Photos) Deserving No Thread Of Their Own

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
As inspired by Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own. Let's see if we can make this a thing. We'll split off series of posts with a common theme into their own threads, just like we sometimes do with RTDNTOTO.

First off, the view from our hotel room is full of old school mixed use. That's my high school on the far right, behind the apartment buildings. Bottom left is Cary Street, which is lined with single family "new old" houses built in the 1980s. The Peace Bridge connecting Buffalo, New York with Fort Erie, Ontario is in the distant background. To the right is the old Connecticut Street Armory.

buffalo_lower_west_side.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I think this will prove to be one of the Great Ideas of Cyburbia

1599155981092.png

Reason #15 why I'm not in a hurry to drive to Montreal any time soon.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
As inspired by Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own. Let's see if we can make this a thing. We'll split off series of posts with a common theme into their own threads, just like we sometimes do with RTDNTOTO.

First off, the view from our hotel room is full of old school mixed use. That's my high school on the far right, behind the apartment buildings. Bottom left is Cary Street, which is lined with single family "new old" houses built in the 1980s. The Peace Bridge connecting Buffalo, New York with Fort Erie, Ontario is in the distant background. To the right is the old Connecticut Street Armory.

View attachment 48987
Do my eyes deceive me or does that building in the right forefront have elements of ziggurat art deco detail near the top? (otherwise, what a drab five story brick building)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
My niece lives 7 blocks east of this location, in the Oak School Lofts (former Buffalo Alternative High School). They have walls that still have the old chalk boards intact. To keep it relevant.... it's a nice example of adaptive reuse.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
is that for real? wow
Yes, that was a real, genuine Onion article. Quite convincing how they captured the writing style of 250 years ago, what with the random Capitalizations, hyphen-ated wordes, and irregular spellinges. I seem to recall another similar satire article with an identical theme that described how residents of Manhattan could already see the smoke in the distance arising from their neighbors chimneys. Wish I could find it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I really think we need more of these live/work merchant house types built throughout the US in our small city downtowns. It was a norm for 10,000 years of human history prior to about 1940.

Live-work type.jpg
Live-work type2.jpg

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
My favorite zoning district in my fair town is the Neighborhood Service District, which is the zoning you'd assign to buildings like the ones above ^^^

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Here's the problem with the multi-family and mixed-use stuff that all planners talk about. Even if we don't live it by the way.

People are assholes. I have shared enough walls in my life. I will work my ass off to not have to ever do that again. I don't want to hear other people fighting, yelling at their kids, their dog, blasting music, cooking something nasty smelling etc. People are just inconsiderate on the whole and I have absolutely no problem paying a premium to have my little slice of (somewhat) solitude. And yes, humans did if for 1,000's of years. And then they didn't when they didn't have to.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I really think we need more of these live/work merchant house types built throughout the US in our small city downtowns. It was a norm for 10,000 years of human history prior to about 1940.

View attachment 49058
View attachment 49059
There little clusters of buildings like that tucked away in the older residential neighborhoods of our fair city, but not necessarily mixed use. A lot of times they were clearly built as commercial use, but plopped down in the midst of a residential development. Most are now converted to residences themselves although some still have commercial use. You can see how the city was laid out for walkability though. In the Near Southside/Fairmount area in particular, you're never more than a few blocks from one of these "neighborhood centers" that usually included a small grocery and often several other business back in the day.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Here's the problem with the multi-family and mixed-use stuff that all planners talk about. Even if we don't live it by the way.

People are assholes. I have shared enough walls in my life. I will work my ass off to not have to ever do that again. I don't want to hear other people fighting, yelling at their kids, their dog, blasting music, cooking something nasty smelling etc. People are just inconsiderate on the whole and I have absolutely no problem paying a premium to have my little slice of (somewhat) solitude. And yes, humans did if for 1,000's of years. And then they didn't when they didn't have to.
Granted, but that's no reason to specifically prohibit these building forms for those that do choose to occupy them. You may have specific negative examples, but I can likely show you an equal number of specific positive examples.

But you already know that. ;)

DVD

Cyburbian
My attitude is that as planners we should provide as many housing options as possible. Some people want to live downtown in apartments, let them. Some people hate other people, let them live in the 'burbs. If all you can afford is a studio somewhere we should make that available. Which is why I'm always happy to see those missing housing elements come in like duplexes and ADUs.

Doberman

Cyburbian
My attitude is that as planners we should provide as many housing options as possible. Some people want to live downtown in apartments, let them. Some people hate other people, let them live in the 'burbs. If all you can afford is a studio somewhere we should make that available. Which is why I'm always happy to see those missing housing elements come in like duplexes and ADUs.
I know you're using some hyperbole, but I don't think suburbanites; such as myself, necessarily hate other people. The reality for myself; speaking as a planner, is that better school systems, property value projections, and lower crime rates for my kids, are a healthy tradeoff to the diversity of people, land use.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm out in the 'burbs myself. Same reasons. Plus I like having a yard for the kids and a little room around me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I require a certain minimum amount of land upon which to grow veggies. It doesn't HAVE to be in the burbs but that's where we happen to live.

1599847684740.png

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Dear Mr. Shopping Center Owner,

No one cares about the name of our run of the mill property, so why use 'precious' sign area for non-tenant signage?

Sincerely,
Mr. City Planner

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Yes, that was a real, genuine Onion article. Quite convincing how they captured the writing style of 250 years ago, what with the random Capitalizations, hyphen-ated wordes, and irregular spellinges.
The Onion, January 1, 1900.

The Onion - 1999 - Our Dumb Century - 010.jpg

The real deal, from a newspaper in Buffalo around 1914. (Sans serif typeface, which was really uncommon around that time!) It gets good about halfway down. Again, this is REAL.

ben_bison.png

In that same January 1, 1900 Onion:

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 12.12.12 AM.png

The Onion, May 3, 1937. Parody.

The Onion - 1999 - Our Dumb Century - 060.jpg

Buffalo Courier, January 27, 1902. Real. "Two women were arrested at the corner of Main and Genesee streets for holding their skirts up too high."

Buffalo Courier 1901 - 5841 women arrested for holding skirts too high.jpg

Real. Buffalo Courier, July 3, 1907. Real. "That's a violation."

Buffalo Courier 1907 - 2945 billboard evils.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Caller: yeah, I got a question...let's say hypothetically a neighbor right now is putting up a fence that measure 84" inches high and backs up on the east side next to a building that's located 36 inches away. Isn't there some code that says suchandsuch....

Me: What is not really a hypothetical question? Alex, I'll take 'ways to pull the wool over bureaucrats eyes' for $400...