• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Statements Heard Around the Planning Office

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Messages
1,625
Points
22
I have an office mate for the first time in a while and she's inspired me to start this thread. What weird/ random/ ridiculous statements have you heard around the office/ water cooler? No context needed.

I'll start:

"Golf is an elitist sport."

"I don't know why we need all this greenspace."
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
27,752
Points
68
"We wasted how many months on windmill regulations back in 2000 and HOW MANY applications have we got in the last 20 years? None, did you say?"
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dan

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Messages
2,294
Points
32
As an aside, I'm not sure complete streets really have the effect complete streets designers intend. I like the idea but I'm not sure it works.
 

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Messages
10,947
Points
35
...but I got a good deal on the property.



(Citizen who had just bought a parcel completely inundated by floodplain)
One the sayings we have in the office is that if an otherwise desirable lot has not been built on, there is a reason.
 

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
25,093
Points
54
Who's turn is it to clean out the refrigerator ?

Who didn't turn off the coffee ?

Who didn't reload paper into the copier/printer ?

Do you have X file, it isn't where it should be ?
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
27,752
Points
68
"That will never fly."
"Of course not. Our job is to put the most ambitious stuff out there we can knowing in advance that 95% of it will be rejected by the Powers That Be. What we're actually doing here, practically speaking, has everything to do with that remaining 5%. That is our function."
 

DVD

Cyburbian
Messages
14,093
Points
45
You know what would make that busy road a pedestrian street? Temporary parallel parking!

Coming from a developer that would like to waste less of his space on parking. We're also talking the biggest arterial road in town.
 

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Messages
2,294
Points
32
"That will never fly."
"Of course not. Our job is to put the most ambitious stuff out there we can knowing in advance that 95% of it will be rejected by the Powers That Be. What we're actually doing here, practically speaking, has everything to do with that remaining 5%. That is our function."
This is called "shaping the conversation."
 

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Messages
2,079
Points
29
I am not a morning person but I've worked really hard to make an effort to be cordial in the morning and say hello. I think it matters and sets a tone with your staff.
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
27,752
Points
68
"Get. The. Eff. Out. Is that a covered porch on the lake side?"
 
Top