• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 10 (2015)

Annual Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own threads
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Busy morning here, first in like a month. Around the holidays everything shuts down here. I have to go back home Tuesday night, not looking forward to the drive, but the reason for driving back could be life changing (in a good way 8-!).

I like the foreshadowing....

Good or bad? Job or life event?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I like the idea of self-improvement but don't think making New Year's resolutions are a particularly effective means to an end for most folks.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I like the idea of self-improvement but don't think making New Year's resolutions are a particularly effective means to an end for most folks.

Yeah, I desperately want to tell you I have a success story for your other thread. Can't really think of one. :-$:-c:)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It's my first day back since 12/22 and it's not too bad.

It's my first day back since 10/21 (that's not a typo) and it absolutely sucks. (The fact that it feels like about 62F in my office is NOT helping.) I'm gonna be one tired puppy when I get home this evening.

DVD

Cyburbian
All these commercials for colleges are making me think I should go to one and learn a valuable skill like HVAC repair or nursing or something.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
All these commercials for colleges are making me think I should go to one and learn a valuable skill like HVAC repair or nursing or something.

Those jobs have security. When did you see a plumber let go? PA school would be a good option if you are into medicine ;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yeah, I desperately want to tell you I have a success story for your other thread. Can't really think of one. :-$:-c:)

Maybe you're trying too hard to come up with a BIG change. Think of a time you perhaps succeeded in meeting a smaller goal.

ursus

I think I may have just presided over the most boring staff meeting in the history of the world. This is not like me. January is really weighing heavy on me. I think I might be kind of a depressing person for the next 45 days or so.....

otterpop

Cyburbian

Maybe that is why people fail so miserably at New Year Resolutions. We are always resolving to improve, to do better.

How about we resolve to do things we really want to do. Like, drink more beer? Or eat more junk food? Resolve to buy a treadmill so we will have a place to hang clothes. Resolve to read less and watch more of the Kardashian trainwreck weekly.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Apple strudel in the kitchen... should have eaten breakfast before I got to work... oh well, I have all day to burn off the calories, right?

otterpop

Cyburbian
Don't'cha hate it when you get to the bottom of the glass of what you are drinking and notice that there is something encrusted on the bottom inside of the glass from the previous time the glass was used. +o(

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Don't'cha hate it when you get to the bottom of the glass of what you are drinking and notice that there is something encrusted on the bottom inside of the glass from the previous time the glass was used. +o(

I'm going to fight the impulse to tell a true story involving a tobacco chewer and how someone accidently discovered that it pays to keep track of where you set down your own drink......

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Man's cousin was selected to be MA's new Secretary of Veteran's Affairs today. Super proud of him.

Planit

Cyburbian
Busy morning here, first in like a month. Around the holidays everything shuts down here. I have to go back home Tuesday night, not looking forward to the drive, but the reason for driving back could be life changing (in a good way 8-!).

I know what you're doing there ;)

Not too busy here today, but the remainder of the week is loaded. Might be able to catch my breath come Friday afternoon.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I'm going to fight the impulse to tell a true story involving a tobacco chewer and how someone accidently discovered that it pays to keep track of where you set down your own drink......

I had some roommates in college that chewed tobacco. After watching someone mistakenly drink someones spit which was in the same type of beer bottle he was drinking, I starting drinking miller's high life because it came in clear bottles.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Only 84 emails yay! With that said, emailed to the CM to see if she had time to chat this week or next. I want to discuss what the hell my role is from here on out. Seriously, this department cannot run as a one man gang nor am I paid enough to run it in the interim.

Last edited:

DVD

Cyburbian
Those jobs have security. When did you see a plumber let go? PA school would be a good option if you are into medicine ;)
After the latest round of commercials, I realize I just need some Frank's Re Hot hot sauce, apparently that S3$ts good on anything. I love day time commercials.
Only 84 emails yay! With that said, emailed to the CM to see if she had time to chat this week or next. I want to discuss what the hell my role is from here on out. Seriously, this department cannot run as a one man gang nor am I paid enough to run it in the interim.
You could come to my world, I hear the planner doesn't do or know anything anyway.Back to eating my popcorn after having some killer homemade chicken tacos with homemade tortillas. It's nice to have a couple days off. Would be better if I were getting paid again.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
After the latest round of commercials, I realize I just need some Frank's Re Hot hot sauce, apparently that S3$ts good on anything. I love day time commercials.You could come to my world, I hear the planner doesn't do or know anything anyway.Back to eating my popcorn after having some killer homemade chicken tacos with homemade tortillas. It's nice to have a couple days off. Would be better if I were getting paid again.

I'm seeing some potential for a thread split here but it's gonna need some dressing up first. Maybe a title like "How would your life be different if daytime tv was your guide".

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm seeing some potential for a thread split here but it's gonna need some dressing up first. Maybe a title like "How would your life be different if daytime tv was your guide".

Is there a prize for being Maister's first thread split of the year or seeing how long we can go without one?

Besides, courtesy of daytime TV I now know the best attorneys, where to get health insurance, car insurance, etc., all about my credit score, and some potential job leads that require just a little bit of affordable education.

As far as the actual programming, there's a reason most of us work in the daytime.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'd like to offer my official apology for abandoning the RTDNTOTO 2014 thread with about two weeks to go and not contributing further towards the push for 10,000.

I've let down all of Cyburbia.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I'd like to offer my official apology for abandoning the RTDNTOTO 2014 thread with about two weeks to go and not contributing further towards the push for 10,000.

I've let down all of Cyburbia.

I have a great New Year's Resolution for you. Join us this year. 2015 is a good year!! We look forward to your posts on Post Day next year.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I know what you're doing there ;)

Not too busy here today, but the remainder of the week is loaded. Might be able to catch my breath come Friday afternoon.

You know about my appointment with the optometrist?! ;)

But for real, I did get an appointment with the eye doctor. Two years here and I still haven't switched to any local doctors. I'm almost out of contacts so I really need to re-up that prescription. I was always confused as to why contacts require yearly prescriptions anyways, however after looking at the wikipedia article for them, I now understand.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Someone give me a band I haven't heard to listen to for 2015. I am bored with Mumford and Sons, Black Keys, and my Piano channel on iHeart.

Suggestions?

Planit

Cyburbian
You know about my appointment with the optometrist?! ;)

But for real, I did get an appointment with the eye doctor. Two years here and I still haven't switched to any local doctors. I'm almost out of contacts so I really need to re-up that prescription. I was always confused as to why contacts require yearly prescriptions anyways, however after looking at the wikipedia article for them, I now understand.

My bad. I thought it was the dentist. You know root canals are life changing.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Someone give me a band I haven't heard to listen to for 2015. I am bored with Mumford and Sons, Black Keys, and my Piano channel on iHeart.

Suggestions?

Based on those, I'd suggest Kurt Vile and the Violaters. Everything he has put out is pretty good but his 2013 album "Wakin on a Pretty Daze" was exceptional.

Some other garage-y, fuzzed out bands you might like might be The War on Drugs or Ty Segall. Parquet Courts is another band that had an awesome album last year.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I was going through an old filing cabinet in my office today trying to scrounge up some hanging folders and found a treasure trove of handwritten letters to the Planning Department circa 1998-2001 ish. Some of these are hilarious.

One is from a man wanting to open a "Bison Farm with pony rides, old machinery for children to look at, and a trout farm". Apparently nothing ever came of it, as he still owns the property and there isn't a bison farm there.

Two letters stamped "Sent from the Southern Correctional Institution - Minimum Security".

And this one, hand written on the back of the violation letter the property owner received. It includes such gems as "It would be nice if your office would ck. out complaints you receive to see if they are true", "But people with money just want us poor people to drop off the face of the earth", and the best for last " Have a nice life, maybe we'll just drop dead soon, then everybody will be happy".

One of the best finds I've ever made here. I'm going to keep digging!

ursus

Suggestions?

I'll give my never-ending plug for Del Amitri. If you've heard them, then I suggest little known local band from my neck of the woods, Fictionist.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Received 4 summonses for code enforcement violations today. Three of them had court dates in December :not:

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member

Suggestions?

Looks like you tend to favor rock with a slight flare toward indie rock with a decent blues/folk influence. I'm going to suggest the following Austin musicians for you:
  • Bob Schneider (rock, indie and one of my favorite people)
  • Gary Clark, Jr. (blues rock)
  • Sarah Jarosz (indie, folk, a very light dusting of Texas & Nashville roots country)
  • Wild Child (indie)
  • Quiet Company (rock, indie)
  • Wheeler Brothers (rock, indie, very similar to Mumford & Sons and The Avett Brothers)
  • Charlie Mars (rock, indie and one of my favorite people)
  • Max Frost (rock, indie)

They are all in heavy rotation in my music library and have seen each of them live in the last year. You'll thank me for the suggestions, or if I'm totally off I'll send you some primo local brew. :h::hm::bike::b:

kms

Cyburbian
It's my first day back since 10/21 (that's not a typo) and it absolutely sucks. (The fact that it feels like about 62F in my office is NOT helping.) I'm gonna be one tired puppy when I get home this evening.

Welcome back, and rest when you get home.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was going through an old filing cabinet in my office today trying to scrounge up some hanging folders and found a treasure trove of handwritten letters to the Planning Department circa 1998-2001 ish. Some of these are hilarious...

Two letters stamped "Sent from the Southern Correctional Institution - Minimum Security"...

I get a letter every couple months or so from inmates at random prisons, often at prisons nowhere near Metro Detroit. They are always asking for a list of businesses and contact information in whatever industry in our county.

The best was somebody who wrote asking for every single business here. That's about 45,000+ businesses. I ignored the request completely but really wanted to just send back a handwritten letter that simply said www.google.com

Planit

Cyburbian
Y'all missed a great NYE BBQ cookout.

Only one mishap when the fireworks tube fell over and a mortar shell took out a tail light of a car (not mine!).

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Went to a podiatrist - for callouses from pressure points but no diabetic issues.

Otis

Cyburbian
I just sent a notice of violation to the municipal court judge, threatening to haul him in front of the municipal court judge. The rule of law is a wondeful thing.

[OT]I think this deserves a merit badge.[/OT]

ursus

I just sent a notice of violation to the municipal court judge, threatening to haul him in front of the municipal court judge. The rule of law is a wondeful thing.

[OT]I think this deserves a merit badge.[/OT]

Imagining your face as you prepared this notice......is one of my new favorite memories. :) I want this merit badge. Have not achieved it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
During my dive into these old folders I found a letter about an issue that came up in two separate variance cases this past year. I could have really used that letter like 5 months ago. :r:

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
During my dive into these old folders I found a letter about an issue that came up in two separate variance cases this past year. I could have really used that letter like 5 months ago. :r:

Opening up old files is usually a stroll down "what the fuck lane" for me and my current employer :not:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
A command to the helmsman to observe the compass direction on the present heading, and maintain that course.

As well as a song lyric by the The Raconteurs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.