• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 10 (2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Local business owner who has a tendency to flip out on City Staff, took it upon himself to install a "Electric Car Charging Station" sign next to a power outlet in a City owned parking lot. We won't grant him an exclusive space, so he made one himself to charge his electric car as close to his business as he can get.

Wait until he sees the parking lot reconfiguration that will happen this year. Hope he has a long extension cord.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local business owner who has a tendency to flip out on City Staff, took it upon himself to install a "Electric Car Charging Station" sign next to a power outlet in a City owned parking lot. We won't grant him an exclusive space, so he made one himself to charge his electric car as close to his business as he can get.

Wait until he sees the parking lot reconfiguration that will happen this year. Hope he has a long extension cord.
Raf - we need a meme on this, stat...

AG74683

Cyburbian
At current scrap steel prices of $0.055 per lb. I doubt you could justify removing a water tank for scrap value with the liability of working on something 100' feet in the air; not to mention potential for lead paint, osha regulations, equipment cost, and permitting. A 100,000 pound tank would only net $5,500 at today prices. A crane rental would set you back $150 - $200 per hour not counting setup and mobilization charges would take over half that.
This was a few years ago. From what I remember, most contracts just gave them the scrap so they wouldn't have to arrange getting rid of it themselves. The guy said the scrap prices pay their hotel room, a lot of their gas and any sort of rental they need. Not sure what the town actually paid for the removal though.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member

Raf's busy burnin' that mutha' down, so let me give it a try.

Last edited:

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Anyone know what's the expected service life of a water tower? Gotta believe it's maybe 50-60 years?
At least. We've got one that is around 85 years old and is still in good condition. It depends on how well it has been maintained, had the liner redone, etc. It also varies by geography--I imagine a water tower in the rust belt doesn't last as long as one in the south due to rainfall pH, weather conditions, use of salt & deicing agents, etc.

AG74683

Cyburbian
How difficult is it to put the right statements on your plat? I swear, that's the last one I'll put my statement sticker on. If they aren't right after today, they can come back when they have it done correctly. :-@

If you don't know the statements, call or freakin email, seriously.

DVD

Cyburbian
How difficult is it to put the right statements on your plat? I swear, that's the last one I'll put my statement sticker on. If they aren't right after today, they can come back when they have it done correctly. :-@

If you don't know the statements, call or freakin email, seriously.
I hand them a sheet and tell them these statements need to be on your plat. Give it to your surveyor/engineer. No troubles yet.

So I just got two new employees! They move from the Health Dept. over to mine, but they don't physically move. I'm now in charge of all septic systems in the county. So I guess that means I get to handle all the shi!t.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I just got two new employees! They move from the Health Dept. over to mine, but they don't physically move. I'm now in charge of all septic systems in the county. So I guess that means I get to handle all the shi!t.
the best part of this is there will be no end to the shit jokes for you - it's a win win, really :h:

you even have your own emoji :toilet:

AG74683

Cyburbian
I hand them a sheet and tell them these statements need to be on your plat. Give it to your surveyor/engineer. No troubles yet.

Hm, I should do that. I WILL do that. Great idea, thanks!

I really want to look into being REHS certified. Here, doing the septic stuff takes a while and is pretty in-depth. I've learned how to read their permits though so I have a general idea of what they do.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"

DVD

Cyburbian
Hm, I should do that. I WILL do that. Great idea, thanks!

I really want to look into being REHS certified. Here, doing the septic stuff takes a while and is pretty in-depth. I've learned how to read their permits though so I have a general idea of what they do.
My argument was basically to increase customer service. Since you need a septic permit or inspection before any building permit and the two things are tied together, customers should only come to one location to handle all their business. One point of contact. Also, our sanitarians were under the Health Dept. division of child care inspections (WTF) and there was some bad blood between them and the child care manager. The concerns raised were physically moving the guys - we opted not to, and making sure all those other disease and health emergency things get done. So basically I have to write something that says they answer to the Health Official in times of emergency. Which we all answer to the Health Official in an emergency because there will be no other problems to deal with until it's over. Does no one understand crisis management around here.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Thursday is bring your child to work day. I'm planning on bringing my daughter (she's 4 and a half) for the first time. She will only be here for an hour or two but besides touring her around to meet people, I am at a loss of what to do with her. It never occurred to me how boring my office building is. I'll have to ask around to see if anybody I work with knows anybody at the Road Commission that could get us into their building across the street to see the traffic monitoring system since that's sort of cool.

Planit

Cyburbian
Thursday is bring your child to work day. I'm planning on bringing my daughter (she's 4 and a half) for the first time. She will only be here for an hour or two but besides touring her around to meet people, I am at a loss of what to do with her. It never occurred to me how boring my office building is. I'll have to ask around to see if anybody I work with knows anybody at the Road Commission that could get us into their building across the street to see the traffic monitoring system since that's sort of cool.
Easy - give her a blank zoning map and let her color it - lots of fun (plus you might find some very interesting new ideas for land use). You can also do this with a site plan or building elevations. It beats the heck out of giving her the zoning code and letting her read it, which results in her going to sleep or throwing the ordinance across the room (like we all would like to do sometimes).

The One

Cyburbian
Sweet!

In another life I did soil and percolation testing for a dirt scientist:trollface:....he he he....geotechnical engineer:r:

Snicker.......I'm trying to visualize (my image of you) out there checking holes in the mud for the right amount of pea gravel and depth.....:lmao:

vqb2Q5e.jpg

arcplans

I wish I could periscope my face during a planning commission meeting... Especially when I am at the meeting for just "institutional knowledge"

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Uncle Sam needs to put my federal income tax refund check in my mailbox stat! I need some vacation desperately! The state could also do the same in the event I need to buy a six pack or a couple boxes of frozen waffles.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I find ignorance to be annoying, not blissful. Generally speaking of course.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
exciting to go out and see my mom but wish i could "I dream of Jeannie" myself out there as an 8 hour drive is not what I had in mind as I feel like I have worked a full week these last 3 days here :p

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
exciting to go out and see my mom but wish i could "I dream of Jeannie" myself out there as an 8 hour drive is not what I had in mind as I feel like I have worked a full week these last 3 days here :p
Okay, maybe you can't do the head bob thing and instantly appear elsewhere in a puff of smoke like Jeannie did, but take some solace that there are other, um, things you've got that Barbara Eden had.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Okay, maybe you can't do the head bob thing and instantly appear elsewhere in a puff of smoke like Jeannie did, but take some solace that there are other, um, things you've got that Barbara Eden had.
What about a Star Trek Transporter ?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I so needed to hear that today - :h:

and yeah, beaming me there works too ;)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Nothing says good morning like having to issue a stop work order for lack of permit on the building next to City Hall. This contractor has pulled this once before and he is doing it again.

arcplans

I just want to buy the shirt and wear it around on casual fridays just for the sheer humor

[youtube]Ze4JhsDiSWI[/youtube]

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Haircuts and dental visits used to be so traumatic. Now I just want to find time to get them done.

The One

Cyburbian
Oh....Oh......OHHHHHHHH!!!

I just had the equivalent to a GIS orgasm after reading this:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2015/03/19/making-landsat-on-aws-accessible/

"Amazon has announced the availability of Landsat on Amazon Web Services. Esri is actively participating in this initiative. Under this program, Amazon will host 1 petabyte of Landsat imagery from USGS on the Amazon Web Services Cloud.

Esri has created a set of publicly accessible Web Services based that is updated on a daily basis. Each day the latest Landsat 8 scenes are added and made directly accessible along, with the previous scenes."

AG74683

Cyburbian
So my landlords told me last month that they had bought a dishwasher and the installation people would call me for a setup time.

I never heard from anyone. That was on 3/29....

terraplnr

Cyburbian
There was some talk a little while back about those of us in between Gen X and Y (born in late 70's - early 80's) and I wanted to share this article I read yesterday:

"THE OREGON TRAIL GENERATION: LIFE BEFORE AND AFTER MAINSTREAM TECH"

http://socialmediaweek.org/blog/2015/04/oregon-trail-generation/

"If you can distinctly recall the excitement of walking into your weekly computer lab session and seeing a room full of Apple 2Es displaying the start screen of Oregon Trail, you’re a member of this nameless generation, my friend." Yes, yes. :)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
There was some talk a little while back about those of us in between Gen X and Y (born in late 70's - early 80's) and I wanted to share this article I read yesterday:

"THE OREGON TRAIL GENERATION: LIFE BEFORE AND AFTER MAINSTREAM TECH"

http://socialmediaweek.org/blog/2015/04/oregon-trail-generation/

"If you can distinctly recall the excitement of walking into your weekly computer lab session and seeing a room full of Apple 2Es displaying the start screen of Oregon Trail, you’re a member of this nameless generation, my friend." Yes, yes. :)
That's me!!!!!!!!!!! :D

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I am sitting in Volkswagon dealership getting the front headlight replaced - the light went out on my way to Syracuse last night and I got stopped not once but three times from Albany to Syracuse for it - each time they ran the plate and confirmed the ticket I got - I get out of the ticket by replacing the bulb and sending it in from the dealer that I did it -

:not::-c:-@:':)wall::facepalm::loser::toilet:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
And we'll be back right after these messages...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=182oUgBfoLE

Well, I am sitting in Volkswagon dealership getting the front headlight replaced - the light went out on my way to Syracuse last night and I got stopped not once but three times from Albany to Syracuse for it - each time they ran the plate and confirmed the ticket I got - I get out of the ticket by replacing the bulb and sending it in from the dealer that I did it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPhPbTbjYM0

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member

I had this happen once in my hometown. City police stop me, gives me a simple warning...than ~1 mile (and about 5 minutes) later in the township, a state patrolman stops me regarding my light.

Then curiously asks if I was the just stopped. :r:

Ryoohki1779

This fits me to a tee...glad someone is writing about this generation. I do identify with the Generation X-ers but the millennials they stump me most of the time. I have one who I supervise and wow is all I can say. However I have warmed up to alternate modes of transportation(walking, taking the bus/train or biking) and living a more urban lifestyle both of which are sometimes associated with millennials. But that is really because I am single and I like to met new people and urban places tend to have a more diverse population which is what attracts me to city life. I find in denser places you actually can get to places faster without a car. I like that.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I finally figured out why I can no longer see like half the images posted here....tinypic.com is blocked by our IT Department now :not:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today I had a PC meeting to present a plan that I wrote for the City I live in, I am about to go into a City Council workshop where most of the stuff is mine, and I have a historic district commission meeting tonight.

Yea, busy day.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I finally figured out why I can no longer see like half the images posted here....tinypic.com is blocked by our IT Department now :not:
I've started using my facebook account as my photo host. It works here and on many "current" format interwebs forums.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I just had the equivalent to a GIS orgasm after reading this:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2015/03/19/making-landsat-on-aws-accessible/

"Amazon has announced the availability of Landsat on Amazon Web Services. Esri is actively participating in this initiative. Under this program, Amazon will host 1 petabyte of Landsat imagery from USGS on the Amazon Web Services Cloud.

Esri has created a set of publicly accessible Web Services based that is updated on a daily basis. Each day the latest Landsat 8 scenes are added and made directly accessible along, with the previous scenes."
Nerd alert. :lmao:

I've started using my facebook account as my photo host. It works here and on many "current" format interwebs forums.
You're going to have to explain to me how that works as I may want to post some new images in a week or so.

kms

Cyburbian
Word is out that our mayor died. He was in his early '90's and a WWll POW. Sad news.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
“All we know is that it was a documentary about coconuts that rather lost its way.”

That’s Michael Palin, one of the members of the British comedy troupe Monty Python, riffing on the origins of their cult classic “Monty Python and the Holy Grail.”

The spoof of the King Arthur legend, alternately hilarious and ridiculous, is frequently on top-10 lists of the greatest comedies.

Mr. Palin and the four other surviving members of Monty Python regroup at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York today for a 40th anniversary screening of “Holy Grail.”

Another member, Terry Gilliam, said a “lack of money” saved the film from mediocrity: “We couldn’t afford real horses.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/nytnow/latest-news-armenian-genocide-drone-reprisals-monty-python.html

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Utter some dirty words on a dirty wall
Eating takeout by myself
I played the shows
Got back in the van and put the Walkman on
And you were playing

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
You're going to have to explain to me how that works as I may want to post some new images in a week or so.
  1. Upload the image to you account's photo section
  2. Left click it to view it in the image viewer page
  3. Right click on the image and "Copy Image Location" (that copies the web address for the image
  4. Post it in cyburbia using the same method as otherwise
I haven't had any issues so far. Give it a shot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.