• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 10 (2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
So has anybody ever had a case where you didn't say something right to your significant other, and then in trying to correct and make it right you only make it worse?

No trouble in paradise or anything, but my god it is like I can't stop digging the hole.
stop digging and apologize and take her out for a walk or dinner

Salmissra

Cyburbian
So has anybody ever had a case where you didn't say something right to your significant other, and then in trying to correct and make it right you only make it worse?

No trouble in paradise or anything, but my god it is like I can't stop digging the hole.
Been on both sides of this problem. If I'm the person digging the hole, I have to force myself to stop digging, analyze the problem, figure out where I went wrong, and then apologize. Promptly. And then throw away the shovel and step away from the hole. Otherwise I might get in deeper.

When he's the problem maker, I prefer when he just apologizes then leaves me alone for a while. I'd like to think he's brooding, figuring out where he went wrong so he won't do it again, but that's not really what's going on. Most likely he's forgotten about it already while I'm dealing with my emotional fallout.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
They are calling for a 'heat warning' today. I am lucky enough to be inside the AC all day. However, I did close off parts of our apartment and shut down the AC in those areas to channel it to the areas where the kids are in an effort to make it more comfortable for them. Our nanny is going to take them to the pool this morning and watch movies this afternoon during the hottest part of the day.

Watched an interesting documentary last night where they claim to prove that the Paleo diet is the perfect diet for humans. Not sure I agree 100% with that but it is interesting.

I was thinking about my financial emergency fund. Its in the bank. If there is a massive emergency, wouldn't the banks be closed and the power to the ATM's be out for a little bit? Maybe I should keep my emergency fund in my mattress.

DVD

Cyburbian
It's Tuesday! That means it's time for the weekly show around here. Electeds show up, seagulls show up, the collaborate on a little play and think we don't know they plan this crap ahead of time. I'm wondering what I'll get with today's circus. Maybe another resolution from 1953 that should be applied today?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I was thinking about my financial emergency fund. Its in the bank. If there is a massive emergency, wouldn't the banks be closed and the power to the ATM's be out for a little bit? Maybe I should keep my emergency fund in my mattress.
Every home should have a fire-proof safe to keep important papers and the emergency cash fund. Granted, you won't be collecting the massive 0.9% interest, but the point isn't to make money just to have access to $$ in case of an emergency.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
What is so important in...Iowa(?) that gets so many attacks?
That is just the center of the country. They note the exact location of where the attack is coming from, but generalize where it is going to...i.e. the U.S.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
They are calling for a 'heat warning' today. I am lucky enough to be inside the AC all day. However, I did close off parts of our apartment and shut down the AC in those areas to channel it to the areas where the kids are in an effort to make it more comfortable for them. Our nanny is going to take them to the pool this morning and watch movies this afternoon during the hottest part of the day.

Watched an interesting documentary last night where they claim to prove that the Paleo diet is the perfect diet for humans. Not sure I agree 100% with that but it is interesting.

We are under our second heat advisory in as many weeks. Saturday, the heat index was up to 124. The money thing brings up another issues. since you are in hurricane county now, do you have your supplies?

AG74683

Cyburbian
What is so important in...Iowa(?) that gets so many attacks?
http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/2nqwaq/norse_has_been_reporting_insane_amounts_of/. That may somewhat explain why St. Louis is such a major target. There is a post in there about it being the former home to Bell/AT&T and still has a fair amount of infrastructure there.

Scottrade, Edward Jones, and Monsanto are all based out of St. Louis as well. From what I understand, Monsanto is one of the highest attacked websites in the entire world. It also looks like what that site is actually showing are attacks against something called a "honeypot" which is basically a server set up specifically to be attacked and gather information from the attacker.

On another note, why would an employer not post a starting salary, or even a range?

DVD

Cyburbian
since you are in hurricane county now, do you have your supplies?
Yes, make sure you have that weather radio so you can be woken up at 2 am because there is a storm in the next county over. Damn weather never seems to happen at 5 am where I can skip work for the day.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I still do not understand why, in 2015, an office copier is still the size of a BMW Isetta. Haven't we reached a time where the copier can be made smaller? I think it's a conspiracy that the copy companies created.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Every home should have a fire-proof safe to keep important papers and the emergency cash fund. Granted, you won't be collecting the massive 0.9% interest, but the point isn't to make money just to have access to $$ in case of an emergency.
Where do banks pay that much?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Hottest day of the year to this point. We're under a Heat Advisory until 6 pm and have a current heat index of 105°F. And the air conditioner breaks down. The dude's been here for repairs but it's still 80°F in the house. :-@

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where do banks pay that much?
Some credit unions. I belong to Navy Fed and I have a couple of CDs earning 3% and 5% on a 12 month term.

Hottest day of the year to this point. We're under a Heat Advisory until 6 pm and have a current heat index of 105°F. And the air conditioner breaks down. The dude's been here for repairs but it's still 80°F in the house. :-@
80 is better than 100 and at least they were able to come out today. Have a glass of wine :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DVD

Cyburbian
I am so done working today. You can only read about the history of some sand pit for so long before you start going brain dead.

Otis

Cyburbian
80 is better than 100 and at least they were able to come out today. Have a glass of wine :D
Or just do the right thing and come back to Oregon. 68 and sunny right now, with a predicted high of 70. Full disclosure: we did get up to 81 on Saturday. The heat index was 81. So glad I left Virginia.

Richmond Jake

A run of bad luck...

First, the automatic garage door opener broke twice in two days. We had to buy a new blender (essential for margaritas). Had to buy a new lawn mower. A new vacuum cleaner. My car wreck last Friday. They rent the rental car I reserved during the car repairs and had to wait several hours for a replacement (that finally got corrected). And now the damn air conditioner.

I tell you, if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. s/Rodney Dangerfield.

Otis

Cyburbian
First, the automatic garage door opener broke twice in two days. We had to buy a new blender (essential for margaritas). Had to buy a new lawn mower. A new vacuum cleaner. My car wreck last Friday. They rent the rental car I reserved during the car repairs and had to wait several hours for a replacement (that finally got corrected). And now the damn air conditioner.

I tell you, if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. s/Rodney Dangerfield.
Are you flying anywhere soon? I have friends in :fl: and I want to warn them off in case they might be on the same flight.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
If you love somebody
Better tell them while they’re here ’cause
They just may run away from you
You’ll never know quite when, well
Then again it just depends on
How long of time is left for you
I’ve had the highest mountains
I’ve had the deepest rivers
You can have it all but life keeps moving
I take it in but don’t look down

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Or just do the right thing and come back to Oregon. 68 and sunny right now, with a predicted high of 70. Full disclosure: we did get up to 81 on Saturday. The heat index was 81. So glad I left Virginia.
Or come to NE OH. We're hitting 74F today with low humidity and sunny. Been a nice comfortable summer so far in the eastern Great Lakes region. :D

michaelskis

Cyburbian
WHAT? .9% that is massive compared to the savings account I have right now. I agree with you. My gun safe is fire rated. We have a small brief case sized fire safe inside of the gun safe for emergency (grab and run) type documents. After the great depression, it seems that a lot of people kept cash in jars, inside books, and other places in their house because the banks could not be trusted to stay open. Now we live in a technology based banking system where we can access our money from any ATM out there at any time of day. We have become so trusting, but one large black out or if the internet went down, we as a society would be screwed.

The keep cash at home concept seems like a safer bet to me. (Assuming you can keep it safe from break-ins at home.

We are under our second heat advisory in as many weeks. Saturday, the heat index was up to 124. The money thing brings up another issues. since you are in hurricane county now, do you have your supplies?
No... we have nothing in terms of hurricane supplies. It is something we have talked about, I downloaded the list from FEMA, but we haven't picked up some of the stuff. I do have an emergency bag in my truck that I had when I was in MI. I could live for 48-72 out of that bag. It would be just to get home if I had to walk. However, the walk from my office here is only 15 or so miles. Much better than the 48 miles I had in MI.

Yes, make sure you have that weather radio so you can be woken up at 2 am because there is a storm in the next county over. Damn weather never seems to happen at 5 am where I can skip work for the day.
We had a weather radio when we lived in MI. My youngest saw me packing up stuff and my wife was doing some cleaning, so he tossed it into a bucket of water thinking he was packing too. We need a new radio.

DVD

Cyburbian
We had a weather radio when we lived in MI. My youngest saw me packing up stuff and my wife was doing some cleaning, so he tossed it into a bucket of water thinking he was packing too. We need a new radio.
Can he come over and "pack" mine. The damn thing is annoying, but I guess living in tornado alley it's essential. Never had these problems in Arizona. Never worried about heat warnings. You mean, it's summer?

My junkyard guy is up in court for some misdemeanor crap he pulled. I keep getting little updates on the case. It sounds like it's been a funny one with him ranting about the evils of gubmint.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I need a break. Going to Bear Lake this weekend with the fam. JNA, otterpop? You want pics to make you lake-home-sick? I can do that......

My state is beautiful, and one of it's jewel cities is hiring: Park City, up in the mountains. Any of you ski-bums who don't mind putting up with minor celebrities and have good experience with resort towns should apply. I don't think Park City has EVER hired in-state planners, not for the better jobs anyway. Just saying, if you ever wanted to run the ski-town give it a look.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My state is beautiful, and one of it's jewel cities is hiring: Park City, up in the mountains. Any of you ski-bums who don't mind putting up with minor celebrities and have good experience with resort towns should apply. I don't think Park City has EVER hired in-state planners, not for the better jobs anyway. Just saying, if you ever wanted to run the ski-town give it a look.
But even with that salary you still have to live 30+ miles away. #wealthisrelative

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'm about to lose my mind. I had a folder on my desk with stuff for a text amendment in it. Went to print a sheet off for it, came back and the damn thing is gone. :-@:-@:-@:-@

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
But even with that salary you still have to live 30+ miles away. #wealthisrelative
True. You'd have to be my neighbor and drive 45 minutes to work. You could drop me off in the valley on the way. C'mon, be my neighbor!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
True. You'd have to be my neighbor and drive 45 minutes to work. You could drop me off in the valley on the way. C'mon, be my neighbor!
Sorry, but if I'm going for a planning job in an extremely expensive locale, I'd much rather go for the Senior Planner job with Key West, FL. :h:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last night I was grilling some skirt steak and RT and my friend were hanging out in the backyard with me. RT says, "Uh mom, look at the fence post." I look and the biggest raccoon I've seen in a long while was perched on it several feet away from her. I told her to slowly get up and move over to the deck. I thought it would go away but then it started creeping towards me along the top of the fence. Thank god the skirt steak was almost done because I snatched it and the tortillas off the grill and went up the deck stairs and into the house. My husband saw it this time and said, "Man that fucker is huge!" Thanks Captain Obvious.

The One

Cyburbian
Or Taos

Sorry, but if I'm going for a planning job in an extremely expensive locale, I'd much rather go for the Senior Planner job with Key West, FL. :h:
Taos New Mexico Senior Planner position.....pays $38k. What a bunch of bull$#it

The associate planner job in Farmington NM pays $6k more a year!! Idiots. This is this kind of crap APA should be making phone calls about.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
So recently met someone whom I have been flirting with. Turns out she lives in the town where I work and is currently working on obtaining a CUP for her property to expand her home business :-c to which she has asked me a ton of questions... looks like I will have to recuse myself on this one.:r:

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
And what's up with woman on tinder or POF showing pictures of them shooting guns, with guns, or pictures of their guns? Nothing against gun ownership, but like, that shit scares the jesus out of me. Ummm.. swipe left bro..

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
And what's up with woman on tinder or POF showing pictures of them shooting guns, with guns, or pictures of their guns? Nothing against gun ownership, but like, that shit scares the jesus out of me. Ummm.. swipe left bro..
I am guessing that "gun" isn't another name for a body part(s) right? Just checking.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Taos New Mexico Senior Planner position.....pays $38k. What a bunch of bull$#it

The associate planner job in Farmington NM pays $6k more a year!! Idiots. This is this kind of crap APA should be making phone calls about.
Yeah, the Key West job pays 45K! What the hell! That's stunning to me. I don't know how anyone would afford it.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grant reporting hell....

Received a list of items needed to close out the contract and disburse funds:

Final programmatic report-easy
Miscellaneous form that is a summary of the final disbursement request that needs to be signed and sent snail mail-stupid
3rd Party Confirmation of Completion-they sent an independent inspector to photograph completion last week, but they need a CO (didn't require permits), a letter from a councilperson (fat chance), or a contractor saying work was done (umm...the contracts, invoices, and photos aren't good enough?)-REDUNDANT

I might go home for a cocktail on lunch.

DVD

Cyburbian
I need a break. Going to Bear Lake this weekend with the fam. JNA, otterpop? You want pics to make you lake-home-sick? I can do that......

I looked at it, but there is no way my wife would move to Utah. To damn cold, plus that Ursus guy lives up there and we all know about him running around letting his daughters get married without extorting something to help pay for the wedding. :D

Just toured our Land Institute that does research on perennial crops. Pretty cool stuff, now if they could understand that if they want county land they should buy it. Our desire to get utilities isn't going to hurt anything but the price of the land. Sorry, it's not all about you. I'll still help them where I can just because it's cool research.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
No dude, I won't meet you at 5:00 tomorrow at some convenience store to meet about "future events".

In what world does anyone agree to something like this?
What kind of events are we talking about? Laser shows? Turtle wrestling championship? Funyon Bingo? I mean you just don't know. The suspense HAS to be KILLING you.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
skirt steak... I discovered skirt steak when I worked in a grocery store meat department while in college. We use to grind it for in-store hamburger. An elderly Hispanic lady asked if we had it and took all we had for the same price as hamburger. I asked what she did with it; she was surprised i didn't know and a couple hours later she brought me some wrapped in a homemade tortilla. It was awesome, I should have asked her to marry me.:p Now, I can only find it at Hispanic meat markets. I'd fight a racoon for it.
I buy it at Costco, cheaper than most of the Hispanic grocery stores. Generally there are 4 good size pieces in a package about 12"-16" long

I marinate it for about an hour in some lime juice, sliced onions, chopped garlic, cilantro, chili powder, oregano, salt and a couple tablespoons of oil. Grill 3-4 minutes on each side for medium rare and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice into strips at an angle AGAINST the grain, otherwise it's chewy.

AG74683

Cyburbian
What kind of events are we talking about? Laser shows? Turtle wrestling championship? Funyon Bingo? I mean you just don't know. The suspense HAS to be KILLING you.
Something strange if afoot at the Circle K.
post of the day :h:
you would be disappointed if it was Martin Seamus "Marty" McFly
Some sort of off road jamboree probably. Something insane and way outside the bounds of what he can do. He called me on Monday and the message hit the trash bin. I sent him an email and now he's called me again wanting to arrange a date that works at this store. It's not really a traditional convenience store, it's an "outpost". Basically a slightly larger store with more things for sale. I'm not meeting there. Come to my office if you want to meet, good lord.

I told him to talk to the Clerk to arrange a meeting with myself and the CM. There have been some serious legal issues in that area, I'm not going in alone.

Last edited:

DVD

Cyburbian
I buy it at Costco, cheaper than most of the Hispanic grocery stores. Generally there are 4 good size pieces in a package about 12"-16" long

I marinate it for about an hour in some lime juice, sliced onions, chopped garlic, cilantro, chili powder, oregano, salt and a couple tablespoons of oil. Grill 3-4 minutes on each side for medium rare and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice into strips at an angle AGAINST the grain, otherwise it's chewy.
Sounds like the same thing I do except I've never used oregano. The cutting against the grain is important. Otherwise you end up with a piece of meat that won't break apart when you bite into that tasty fajita. PS, I usually do my veggies in a cast iron pan. Throw the cut up steak into the pan when everything is done and serve it up.

My junkyard guy just got 33 days + fines, court costs, probation, and restitution. Sounds like most of the fines and court time is for contempt of court. I'm having a good day. :)

Richmond Jake

That reminds me... I think I might owe you guys some winery recommendations...

What types do you guys prefer again?
We'll be in the Ft. Worth/Arlington area. ZG prefers dry, white wines that are not oak aged. I prefer robust red wines. Thanks for any suggestions.

The One

Cyburbian
Hmmm

No dude, I won't meet you at 5:00 tomorrow at some convenience store to meet about "future events".

In what world does anyone agree to something like this?
Indeed, who would do that.....

Reminds me of the time I first met Brocktoon in that sleezy motel parking lot in Tempe AZ. For as smart as that guy is, I wonder about his judgement sometimes :D

Otis

Cyburbian
Today was one of those days. 9 AM senior staff meeting. Supposed to last for an hour. Ends at 10:15. I was planning on using 10-10:30 to prepare for a pre-app with one of the biggest developers in the state. OK, I can gather the info in 15 minutes. Nope. Two city council members want 10 minutes with me. Turns into 15. I beg off at 10:30, go to the pre-app with nothing. Wing it and all goes OK. Over at noon. But wait, I had two noon deadlines. Staff assistant drafts a short staff report for one, knowing of the deadline, and I OK it. I love this woman. Then get info for weekly report in half an hour late, OK. Wait, public records request from one person on behalf of another PITA. Pull that stuff together while eating lunch at my desk. Work on staff report for an appeal, then go to departmental staff meeting. Race through it so I can get back to city council members. Then CM's assistant come in and tells me the CM made a mistake and the 5:30 meeting next Wednesday in the south end of town actually is today, so we will squeeze it in before the 6:30 public meeting we have that will go til 8:00 at the north end of town. Leaving for the 5:30 and a visiting county board of supervisors wants just a few minutes of my time. Get to the 5:30 late and CM and two city council members are pissed.

Beer at home hit the spot.

Planit

Cyburbian
Indeed, who would do that.....

Reminds me of the time I first met Brocktoon in that sleezy motel parking lot in Tempe AZ. For as smart as that guy is, I wonder about his judgement sometimes :D
I don't want to know any details about this. What happened in Tempe, needs to stay in Tempe.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
My todo list includes todo lists from the last two weeks.... that isn't good.

Hink's ToDo List:
1. Finish todo list from last week.
2. Finish todo list from two weeks ago.
3. Lots more stuff....

Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.