• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 12 (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gedunker

Mod
Realtor: You mean my client is going to have to wait until November to get zoning approval for her home?
Me: Yes, that's the earliest we can get her on the agenda.
Realtor: She'll have a nervous breakdown if she has to wait that long.
Me: She wouldn't have to wait that long if she wasn't trying to put a 2500 square foot home on a lot for a 2000 square foot home.
Realtor: But then she'd have to go and get the plans revised. These plans are expensive, you know. It takes time to revise these plans. And, she'd have to give up something in that 500 square feet. Then the rooms don't fit together the way she wants.
Me: ...mm hmmm...

Planit

Cyburbian
Some people just want to talk to someone. I received a call this morning about this ladies concerns that her neighbor's horse might eat tulip power trees that might grow on her property within proximity of the fence at some point in the future. I suggested that she talk to her neighbor. She said she did and the neighbor would do what she could to ensure that the horse's wouldn't eat her poplar trees that are currently non-existent now but they might grow their in the future.

So she called me about a potential problem that wasn't within my scope of enforcement and one she already fixed. I am counting it as a win.:h:
You do such good work

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My Fair Lady said:
PROFESSOR HIGGINS:
Why can't a woman be more like a man?
Men are so honest, so thoroughly square;
Eternally noble, historically fair.
Who, when you win, will always give your back a pat.
Why can't a woman be like that?
Why does every one do what the others do?
Can't a woman learn to use her head?
Why do they do everything their mothers do?
Why don't they grow up, well, like their father instead?

Why can't a woman take after a man?
Men are so pleasant, so easy to please.
Whenever you're with them, you're always at ease.

Would you be slighted if I didn't speak for hours?

COLONEL PICKERING:
Of course not.

PROFESSOR HIGGINS:
Would you be livid if I had a drink or two?

COLONEL PICKERING:
Nonsense.

PROFESSOR HIGGINS:
Would you be wounded if I never sent you flowers?

COLONEL PICKERING:
Never.

PROFESSOR HIGGINS:
Well, why can't a woman be like you?

One man in a million may shout a bit.
Now and then, there's one with slight defects.
One perhaps whose truthfulness you doubt a bit,
But by and large we are a marvelous sex!

Why can't a woman take after a man?
'Cause men are so friendly, good-natured and kind.
A better companion you never will find.

If I were hours late for dinner would you bellow?

COLONEL PICKERING:
Of course not.

PROFESSOR HIGGINS:
If I forgot your silly birthday, would you fuss?

COLONEL PICKERING:
Nonsense.

PROFESSOR HIGGINS:
Would you complain if I took out another fellow?

Pickering
Never.

PROFESSOR HIGGINS:
Why can't a woman be like us?

PROFESSOR HIGGINS:
Why can't a woman be more like a man?
Men are so decent, such regular chaps;
Ready to help you through any mishaps;
Ready to buck you up whenever you're glum.
Why can't a woman be a chum?

Why is thinking something women never do?
And why is logic never even tried?
Straightening up their hair is all they ever do.
Why don't they straighten up the mess that's inside?

Why can't a woman behave like a man?
If I was a woman who'd been to a ball,
Been hailed as a princess by one and by all;
Would I start weeping like a bathtub overflowing,
Or carry on as if my home were in a tree?
Would I run off and never tell me where I'm going?
Why can't a woman be like me?
I'm posting this for no particular reason.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
By some miracle, SU is not part of that investigation - go Orange lol

head spinning from admin training with the state today - ugh - why is this hard for me? I'll blame my ADD of course

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
My fair city's fall food festival is next week and in our newspaper is this list of oddities

Here is my humorous sampling -

Flaming Squealer
- Spicy sausage burger with pepper jack cheese, jalapenos and Sriracha sauce.

Pigeon Poo
- Mixture of cereals and broken pretzels, mixed with melted white chocolate and marshmallows.

Pork Grenade
- Specially made by Marx BBQ. Pulled pork and pork sausage made into a meatball, wrapped in bacon, cooked and coated in barbeque sauce.

Smokin' Butt Cake
- A pancake meant to be folded like a taco, filled with smoked Boston butt, cheese, onion and a maple-infused BBQ sauce.

Tiger Pie
- Beef sundae with a layer of seasoned shredded beef, homemade mashed potatoes, beef gravy, topped with shredded cheddar cheese.

Zombie King, Zombie Slider
- Brain sandwich with mozzarella cheese, homemade onion straws and secret-recipe Sriracha mayo

We bought tickets to see Ron "tater salad" White on January 5, 2018. :D

I learned late this afternoon that when our FY18 budget becomes effective October 1st, I'm receiving a 2% raise. :) :) :)

I learned late this afternoon that when our FY18 budget becomes effective October 1st, I'm receiving a 2% raise. :) :) :)
We're getting a 3% raise with the new budget on the 1st. That's the biggest raise we've gotten in the decade that I've been here. IIRC, the previous biggest in that decade was 1.5%, but we also had a couple years of 0.0% and a few reductions in pay of around 2.0%.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Anyone else following the FBI investigations of the NCAA?
It's be fascinating to watch unfold. Mark Fox, the head coach at UGA, has been criticized for years by parts of the fan base for refusing to deal with the AAU system during recruiting (thus diluting the talent pool he is able to pull from) - he's suddenly looking like a genius now.

AG74683

Cyburbian
By some miracle, SU is not part of that investigation - go Orange lol

head spinning from admin training with the state today - ugh - why is this hard for me? I'll blame my ADD of course
That's just because SU already got hit by the NCAA for violations in 2015. If they also had recruiting violations, the NCAA would look pretty worthless if they hit them again this time around because their initial investigation should have uncovered it. The fact that they aren't in this one doesn't mean they don't have violations.

That said, any investigation into literally any school with a top tier sports team would result in some form of violation from NCAA policy. I know for a fact that the App. State basketball team regularly drug tested specific players because they knew those players didn't partake. The ones that clearly did never got tested. This came directly from one of the players. I also know a particular football player who was a pretty big deal during the App football championship runs was a pretty heavy drug user, and also sold some (this came from a room mate I had who had previously been arrested on drug charges, so he's definitely not making it up). My school was small peanuts to the NCAA, and I can't even begin to imagine what the larger schools are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.