• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 12 (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I just got a text on my personal cell phone asking "who number is this". I am trying to decided how to respond. I am certain I won't respond with my name.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I just got a text on my personal cell phone asking "who number is this". I am trying to decided how to respond. I am certain I won't respond with my name.
In case it was somebody that mattered I went mild with "I'm Batman" and followed it with a picture I found of a guy dressed as Batman taking a selfie. I didn't get a response. That was a bit of a let down. I liked all of the suggestions. I was going to go with "For the 19th time, I am not the good time that the bathroom wall promised."

My sister is getting on my case because she hasn't received school pictures of the kids yet. I wonder of formal school pictures being mailed out to family will become a distant memory being that we have social media filled with pictures of kids. Also for guys, do you have the photo pages in your wallet to show coworkers and friends pictures of your family, or do you call them up on your phone?

My sister is getting on my case because she hasn't received school pictures of the kids yet. I wonder of formal school pictures being mailed out to family will become a distant memory being that we have social media filled with pictures of kids. Also for guys, do you have the photo pages in your wallet to show coworkers and friends pictures of your family, or do you call them up on your phone?
No photo pages for me, although I've always taken those out of my wallets and thrown them away. As for showing coworkers and friends pictures of my family on my phone - I cannot recall ever doing that.

AG74683

Cyburbian
My brother got my parents a Nixplay digital picture frame for Christmas. It's a cloud based frame, you make a Nixplay account and can upload any number of pictures to it. It also supports Facebook, Instagram, and Dropbox accounts. He has the login info for the Nixplay account and can upload pictures when he gets them, and they'll display on my parents frame. At some point I'm going to make a family Dropbox so anyone in our extended family can upload pictures at will. It seems like a good idea. I suppose you could scan in hard copies of photos. Most scanners are pretty solid now.

Hink

OH....IO
Today is cold. Toes and fingers recognized it as winter. What is winter?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I went out to my car, already running late and blowing my resolution to be on time and my car was encased in ice so I said friggit and walked to work, got halfway here and realized I forgot my laptop so turned around and went home and got it and then walked back here

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Looks like we'll be getting a state of the art shooting range in our fair county. And the newspaper misquoted me... but at least they spelled my name right!

dvdneal

Cyburbian
Guess I'll have an actual case coming up. My poor commission is bewildered by the in depth report I gave them about the project. They've never handled an actual zoning case so it's all new to them and they don't seem to get the idea that any extra traffic to a gravel road is a bad thing.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
My brother got my parents a Nixplay digital picture frame for Christmas. It's a cloud based frame, you make a Nixplay account and can upload any number of pictures to it. It also supports Facebook, Instagram, and Dropbox accounts. He has the login info for the Nixplay account and can upload pictures when he gets them, and they'll display on my parents frame. At some point I'm going to make a family Dropbox so anyone in our extended family can upload pictures at will. It seems like a good idea. I suppose you could scan in hard copies of photos. Most scanners are pretty solid now.
I got my parents an kodak frame a couple of years ago. They liked it. It had an email address attached to the account that you could send photos to. My mom enjoyed it and then it stopped connecting to the internet. I just update the SD card from time to time.

I discovered Google's Photoscan app. It's a easy way to use your phone to scan in pictures. It works pretty good. I use it to post old pictures on the book of faces from time to time. The quality is good enough for electronic sharing but I wouldn't expect to get high quality prints from it. It removes glare and auto crops the pictures.

Gedunker

Mod
Got up this morning to make sure my daughter gets out to school okay and felt a cool breeze in the hallway. It felt slightly cold in the new house, so I went to check the thermostat and it was blank except for super teeny tiny writing in the lower corner*. I tried to raise and lower the temp with no result. Turned it off and on to no avail. Pulled it from the wall and it appears the two AAA batteries were shot. Replaced them and delicately replaced the cover (there are a series a fragile looking tongs that need to align with equally fragile looking receptors). Sure enough, back in business.

That's the thing about new houses - you always get that, oh, crap!, sense when something unexpected (and possibly $$$) happens. Happy that wasn't the case here.

*Seems it read
lo
batt

Got up this morning to make sure my daughter gets out to school okay and felt a cool breeze in the hallway. It felt slightly cold in the new house, so I went to check the thermostat and it was blank except for super teeny tiny writing in the lower corner*. I tried to raise and lower the temp with no result. Turned it off and on to no avail. Pulled it from the wall and it appears the two AAA batteries were shot. Replaced them and delicately replaced the cover (there are a series a fragile looking tongs that need to align with equally fragile looking receptors). Sure enough, back in business.

That's the thing about new houses - you always get that, oh, crap!, sense when something unexpected (and possibly $$$) happens. Happy that wasn't the case here.

*Seems it read
lo
batt
That's a real pain isn't it? I always thought the thermostat should be hardwired with low voltage just like a doorbell. Would save you on those cold mornings. What if you'd been out of town and it got really cold? All of a sudden you've got busted pipes becasue of some AA batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.