• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 13 (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Originally posted by Bear Up North
My fellow Cyburbians:

As we welcome in a new year, we sadly say "goodbye" to an old friend and with the grin that made slackers famous, we welcome a new friend.

The RANDOM THOUGHTS THREAD has been part of our lives for many a post. The thread has given us reason to laugh, made us cry, once in a while encouraged a wink or two. Even though tagged with a RANDOM line, the thread was often not so "random". Cyburbians used it to test the waters on a thought and would, once in a while, create a thread with a central theme first posted on the Random Thread.

The original Random Thread will be quietly laid to rest. The ideas, thoughts, observations, complaints, shouts of joy, exclamations of disgust.....they will still be in the archived files. But we all know that time makes us forget, and there are many things that were shared in the original thread that time will HELP us forget.

As we begin to fill this new (and exciting! ) thread with our "randoms", let's take a moment to thank all of those who contributed to the original thread. But more importantly.....let's roll out the red Cyburbian carpet for "newbies" and others to join us. We look forward to a better world.....jump-started on this 3rd day of January, 2007.....go forth and gather thy randoms.

Oh yeah.....

Road trip.

Bear

Random Thought Progress Report

__________ 1000, _2000, 3000, _4000,_5000, _6000,_7000,_8000, _9,000,_10K,_11K, _12K, Closing #
#13 - 2018 -
#12 - 2017 - 02-28, 05-23, 08-24, 11-28, 12-29, 5096
#11 - 2016 - 02-09, 03-23, 05-12, 07-01, 08-18, 10-12, 12-07, 12-31, 8,072
#10 - 2015 - 02-06, 04-06, 06-15, 08-14, 10-01, 11-29, 12-30, 12-31, 12-31,9,570
# 9 -- 2014 - 01-31, 03-12, 05-21, 08-09, 10-21, 12-11, 12-30, 12-31, 12-31, 9,291
# 8 -- 2013 - 01-18, 02-12, 03-22, 04-22, 05-17, 06-20, 07-30, 09-16, 11-13, 12-19, 12-31, 12-31, 12,050
# 7 -- 2012 - 02-23, 05-12, 07-10, 09-12, 11-06, 12-06, 12-28, 12-31, 12-31, 9,327
# 6 -- 2011 - 02-25, 04-12, 05-26, 06-30, 08-10, 10-05, 12-05, 12-31, 8,041
# 5 -- 2010 - 03-04, 05-09, 07-26, 09-22, 11-24, 5,563
# 4 -- 2009 - 02-19, 04-24, 07-13, 10-07, 12-31, 5,004
# 3 -- 2008 - 04-04, 07-07, 09-23, 12-22, 4,085
# 2 -- 2007 - 03-10, 05-19, 07-24, 10-11, 4,862
adjusted by the 50 posts that were listed in #1 and posted on & after 01/01

Let's Go >

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The Tournament of Roses Parade. Another reason to fall asleep in front of the TV watching dead flowers.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Beginning 2018 with a cold is an auspicious start to the New Year.:not:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Posting Achievements

last year we averaged 14 posts per day (rounding up)

on average we achieve 1K in posting on/or about Feburary 21

kms

Cyburbian
I’ve watched so many episodes of The Andy Griffith show the past week that I’m ready to move to Mt. Airy. So far, no jobs and no bike trail system that equals the one here.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Beginning 2018 with a cold is an auspicious start to the New Year.:not:
It appears to have been a 24-hour bug, so hopefully that's out of the way for the next, oh say, decade or so.;)

Bubba

Cyburbian
Between the New Years Eve festivities and UGA's triumph last night, it's a minor miracle that I'm functional this morning...

kms

Cyburbian
The temp outside the office is 9-F. The office temp was 55 at 6:30.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Happy 2018, everyone.

To infinity and beyond!

AG74683

Cyburbian
I realized I'd never fully watched the three Lord of the Rings movies, so I did that yesterday. Great movies, but they are incredibly freaking long. I finished the final one at around 1:30 this morning. I am tired.

DVD

Cyburbian
The New Year started out with a flat tire in the cold, at least it was in my driveway. The spare of course had no air in it since it wasn't used for like 5 years. The air compressor died in the middle of filling the spare. I took the wife's car to get a cheap pancake compressor from Harbor Freight. To keep it all happy, I've decided to call it an early birthday present and not spending money that I didn't want to spend.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
The New Year started out with a flat tire in the cold, at least it was in my driveway. The spare of course had no air in it since it wasn't used for like 5 years. The air compressor died in the middle of filling the spare. I took the wife's car to get a cheap pancake compressor from Harbor Freight. To keep it all happy, I've decided to call it an early birthday present and not spending money that I didn't want to spend.
The flat spare happened to me a year ago. I now make it habit to check them when I check the oil and other fluids.

I have small pancake compressor that works well for putting air in the tires; however, I would like to have a new/bigger one so that I can make snow in the back yard for [STRIKEOUT]the kids[/STRIKEOUT]me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I realized I'd never fully watched the three Lord of the Rings movies, so I did that yesterday. Great movies, but they are incredibly freaking long. I finished the final one at around 1:30 this morning. I am tired.
Back when they first came out I got the collector's edition DVD sets. We did a marathon binge where we not only watched all three movies but watched all the making of episodes as well. It took three full days with timeouts basically to eat and get a bit of sleep.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Back when they first came out I got the collector's edition DVD sets. We did a marathon binge where we not only watched all three movies but watched all the making of episodes as well. It took three full days with timeouts basically to eat and get a bit of sleep.
That's what I have, but didn't watch the making of part. I'm planning to upgrade to the Blu Ray collection soon. Somehow my Fellowship of the Ring disc is scratched a little and I ended up having to skip 3 or 4 chapters. Good reason to upgrade. I also need to get The Hobbit trilogy and threw the Harry Potter anthology in the cart too. Why not. I've never seen all 8 of those movies start to finish either.

The heat in the office is stuck on weekday/night heat mode because it believes it is 7:10 PM on Thursday. It's like 67 degrees in here.

Planit

Cyburbian
The TPMS (tire pressure monitoring sensors) are all barking at me in the car. Whenever we get a cold snap, they start going off randomly.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
That's what I have, but didn't watch the making of part.
IMHO the making of segments are as good, and in some cases even better than the movie itself. One can learn a ton about filmmaking by watching those things. I learned what 'bigatures' are gained new appreciation for the sheer immensity of the scale of production those films involved. I mean just the administrative aspects were mind boggling. Lots of great anecdotes too. You learn where Viggo Mortenson (Aragorn) broke his foot while filming (the scene made the final edit) and how some editor at a publishing house back in the day had the audacity to attempt to EDIT Professor Tolkien. Loads of great info on stagecraft too.

Planit

Cyburbian
It was a down year at my friends New Years gathering. The cold kept several people away, but the fire pit was very warm as long as the wind didn't blow. He only cooked 16 racks of ribs, 8 hens and 4 briskets.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm downloading Gimp for my computer. It just sounds wrong, but it's great.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
That's what I have, but didn't watch the making of part. I'm planning to upgrade to the Blu Ray collection soon. Somehow my Fellowship of the Ring disc is scratched a little and I ended up having to skip 3 or 4 chapters. Good reason to upgrade. I also need to get The Hobbit trilogy and threw the Harry Potter anthology in the cart too. Why not. I've never seen all 8 of those movies start to finish either.
My daughter has listened to all the Harry Potter audiobooks and then read all the actual books (she's started reading them when she was still only 6 years old so I think listening to them first helped her get through a lot of the names and made-up words and helped her keep focused) . After reading each book, we'd watch the corresponding movie. I had seen the first five or six of them and liked the first three and still enjoyed them on the second time through. I thought the movies really went downhill after after the third one. The books were just sooo dense and had sooo much detail and description packed into them that was cut out for the movies that there were large swaths of them that made no sense if you hadn't read the books or listened to the audiobooks, which I hadn't when I watched them the first time. They were still only slight better the second time around. But my daughter enjoyed them and I enjoyed sitting down with her to watch them.

The TPMS (tire pressure monitoring sensors) are all barking at me in the car. Whenever we get a cold snap, they start going off randomly.
I get that problem on my Jeep too. Chrysler swears that the cold has no effect on the TPMS but I think that's a bunch of bull. I mentioned it to my dealer when I was in for an oil change some time ago and he agreed with me.

My wife's Traverse does not have that problem.

DVD

Cyburbian
Let's see. Cold air contracts, which means less tire pressure. So your TPMS will go off. You just have to fill up the tires in the winter to get the right PSI

TOFB

Cyburbian
Watching Dumb and Dumber again may have been the highlight of my 10 day vacation.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Let's see. Cold air contracts, which means less tire pressure. So your TPMS will go off. You just have to fill up the tires in the winter to get the right PSI
I've read that nitrogen is the way to go in winter just for this reason. I think the jury is still out as to whether it's better than standard air though for all around use.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yes, but FCA engineers don't seem to believe that. Maybe that's why they've had financial troubles for years and the only profitable things in their line are a few of their Jeeps and the Ram...

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Rediscovered September by Earth, Wind and Fire. Needless to say, I added it to my workout music. Nice upbeat, happy song that puts you in a good mood.

DVD

Cyburbian
I've read that nitrogen is the way to go in winter just for this reason. I think the jury is still out as to whether it's better than standard air though for all around use.
The dealerships in Phoenix were always pushing nitrogen. They said it helps when you leave town because the temps drop a few degrees outside of the valley.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I just wanted to post to let you know that today is still a work holiday for us. I’m as surprised as you are, but I am still in my pajamas and not at work, so I’m clearly taking advantage of it!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
September by Earth Wind and Fire fans positively must read this NPR piece about the song. Warning: earworms present.

DVD

Cyburbian
I think AGs annoying solar farm people are calling me now. Yes, you actually need to be near some kind of electrical transmission line to make it work. No, you shouldn't be near the airport or the bombing range.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think AGs annoying solar farm people are calling me now. Yes, you actually need to be near some kind of electrical transmission line to make it work. No, you shouldn't be near the airport or the bombing range.
Personally, I'd encourage them to locate ON the bombing range, and do work only when the range is being actively used.

We are actually starting to get ones in the middle of nowhere that are actually building their own entire substation because large plots of land aren't available anywhere else. It's crazy.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I like GIMP. I use it often.

Happy New Year everyone!
I used to gimp when i first started as working in public sector. I hated every second of it. I was so happy when my previous employer purchased the Adobe Creative Suite for me. Since i started our bucket accounts at my previous employer, I am technically still using it here, until they wise up and change the password.

When I was 11, I broke my arm. Being 11, this was like a big adventure. I was so excited when I called my sister who was off at college and told her about it that she sent me a Congrats card instead of condolences.

Can't say I am equally jazzed about falling on my keister December 23 and spending the past 10 days or so largely confined to bed.

Hi, Cyburbia. I couldn't log in on Chrome on my phone, but Microsoft is bribing me to use their browser and, hey, I can log in.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Our reelected and new elected City officials will be sworn in this evening.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
There used to be a local chain of gas stations here in my part of the Hoosier state that would pump your gas for a few cents extra. Being a New Jersey native, of course I paid up and stayed in my car on those miserable days I didn't want to get out and do it myself.:p

+++
I recently acquired an ice scraper with a brass blade. Best. Scraper. EVAR.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Is it still required to have an attendant pump your gas in NJ?

Wow, there are actually gas station attendants in the world that still pump gas? Who knew! Are these gas stations located next to the Western Union office?
The two gas stations in our neighborhood still have "full-service" pumps where somebody will come out and pump your gas for you. They'll also wheel out an air compressor and check your tires, wash your windows, etc. It's the same price as the other pumps but the gas at both these stations is usually about 20¢ more than it is outside of our immediate area (I think there are still a couple other similar full-service stations in town as well). The two stations by our house also still have old-timey service stations inside them and they always seem to be pretty busy. I've never used the full service pumps but my wife has a few times when she had a very new baby in the car. When we first moved to the area I mistakenly pulled up to the full-service pumps a few times before I realized what they were and started to get out to do it myself and then saw the attendant coming out toward me. When I did it at the first station I quickly jumped back in and moved the car, when I did it a second time at the other station I just waived him off and did it myself. I'm sure I wasn't the first to make that mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.