• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 13 (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
My trainer's been away for the last two and a half weeks. He's going to be so excited that I actually did the workouts he left for me!

On another note, he said that he sent 80% of his clients workouts to do while he was gone, and only two of us thanked him for it - me and the cute guy that I need to invite hiking.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
That's interesting because I mostly think of homeless people as not having a culture per se. For most homeless people, homelessness is a huge barrier to making the kinds of social connections and forming the kind of group identity necessary to create any sense of shared culture. So, homelessness tends to be socially isolating.

This does not stop homeless people from weirdly acting like being equally destitute is a basis for bonding, which I avoided because my view is that bonding over your problems when you have nothing else at all in common tends to go bad places. Over the years, I have seen far too many online support groups for various problems where bonding over their tale of woe overshadowed any attempts to share useful information.

This inevitably becomes a situation where you can't really talk about what is helpful lest you inadvertently imply that people who have the worst problems in the group are the cause of their own problems. So, for example, you can't say "It's best to quit smoking if you have respiratory problems or a child with respiratory problems" because that turns into a shit show with smokers defending their right to smoke and swearing that there is no real proof that it worsens their child's condition -- besides, they only smoke on the back porch, not in the house.

The relatively brief time that I spent going to homeless services did not result in any kind of meaningful, long term social connections. I did sometimes get useful information from other homeless people, but people who are homeless are incredibly vulnerable and most of them have overwhelming problems. This is generally not conducive to trying to ask questions or strike up anything resembling what I consider meaningful conversation.

Edit: I'm wondering if there is a Thursday Themed Thread, like Five Things Friday. I am not seeing one.
Regarding the bolded: OMG YES. An extreme example that's in the news: Have you seen any articles about the guy who ran over people with a van in Toronto this week, killing 10? Apparently he identified with a group called "incels" (short for involuntary celibates). Apparently these are men who are two trollish to have meaningful relationships with women, and instead of looking at themselves, they blame the "normies" for their problems. They consider sex with women to be among the most basic of men's rights (i.e., women don't have a right to refuse). From what I read, there are online communities where these guys get together and they've invented a whole subculture around the common characteristic that they're two jerk-ish to get laid.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I saw it as well. Over the years our family has bought more Fords than anything else and for the most part we've been satisfied with them. My wife recently gave up her 2003 Taurus and replaced it with an Escape. My son drives a Fiesta and quite likes it. My two sons and I (all over 6 feet tall) drove that little thing on a 3000 road trip and it was fine on the trip and got great mileage (about 40 mpg).

I wonder if they will continue to sell some of those cars in the US but build them outside of North America, or if they're just giving up that market segment and won't bother to qualify their cars to US safety standards going forward.
My parents were a ford family for a long time until my father purchased his first Honda in 2003. He never looked back, and I too am sold with the quality of a Honda. It's not like they will being the Ford Figo / KA or the Galaxy anytime soon to the US.

Good to hear that Raf.
Yea. Home inspection this weekend, packing, cleaning, I have a busy travel month going up and down the golden state in the month of may and june. To top it off, at the beginning of June I will go to drop her off in central america, spend a week there, come back, and turn right around and go to disneyland with my gf, her son, and my son while my daughter is away at her school trip to Boston. Not how I envisioned almost two weeks off of work.

DVD

Cyburbian
So I have this lot that has no frontage where it should have 200', but the county approved the plat east of it knowing that the bad lot would be created. The bad lot was part of the parcel platted back in 1980, but for whatever reason they just didn't include it in the plat, but they did stub a private easement out to the lot. Of course no I have to figure out if I should let someone build on the lot. I'm going with we (the county) created the problem when we approved the plat and I have to assume the stub out easement was to provide access.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I am irritating my director with all my questions. She's upset with my predecessor for the 99th time.

Party A partners with Party B to build a project. Party A & Party B created Corporation C to be the project's legal entity. Party A deeded property to Corporation C. We executed agreements for funding with Party B. When the project is finished Party A will be managing it.

Problems:
There's no documentation regarding the roles and shares of each party in Corporation C.
Corporation C should be the one signing the agreements, not Party B.

The auditors will have fun with this one.

Regarding the bolded: OMG YES. An extreme example that's in the news: Have you seen any articles about the guy who ran over people with a van in Toronto this week, killing 10? Apparently he identified with a group called "incels" (short for involuntary celibates). Apparently these are men who are two trollish to have meaningful relationships with women, and instead of looking at themselves, they blame the "normies" for their problems. They consider sex with women to be among the most basic of men's rights (i.e., women don't have a right to refuse). From what I read, there are online communities where these guys get together and they've invented a whole subculture around the common characteristic that they're two jerk-ish to get laid.
Yikes! That probably explains a tweet I saw recently. I wasn't aware of that element.

I was aware that r/incels was banned on Reddit... So someone created r/braincels as a replacement sub.:r:

I have been celibate a long time, but I couldn't relate to the stuff I read there when I tripped across it one day. However, I was unaware of this backstory that it is some kind of bizarre men's rights thing. That makes so much sense.

Thank you for that.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Ten Things Thursday. Not as heavily posted on as other weekday themed threads as it requires twice the time/effort posting on than, say, Tuesday or Friday..
Ten is too much in this Twitter world of ours. Change it to Three Things Thursday and watch it take off.
OMG.

(Can we start a Three Things Thursday? It's alliterative and I struggle to come up with five. Ten.. Not Happening.)

Jinx/great minds think alike.
Okay MZ, post away: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55090&p=817305#post817305

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Now when I was just a little boy standin' to my Daddy's knee
My Poppa said son don't let the man get you do what he done to me
'Cause he'll get you 'cause he'll get you now now.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
Born on the bayou

June in Pensacola can't come too soon.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm so used to working in places that overbuild housing that this is bizarre to me. Part of why I'm not a housing planner.

Of course where I live now thinks $200k for a new house is a starter home. Not that the town has high housing costs. They just don't think on lower income levels. Our existing housing ranges from $30k-$500k.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I'm so used to working in places that overbuild housing that this is bizarre to me. Part of why I'm not a housing planner.

Of course where I live now thinks $200k for a new house is a starter home. Not that the town has high housing costs. They just don't think on lower income levels. Our existing housing ranges from $30k-$500k.
Fort Worth is an affordable city, but yeah, for new homes, why build something 1500 square feet that the prospective buyer could barely afford $100k for? Put on 3000 sq ft house on the same lot and ask $250k.

DVD

Cyburbian
I guess I'll be talking to a Colorado county about a gig. I hear they have a great stress relief program up there.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I like the Car Talk google juice potential on the thread split. :D

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Metro Detroit has a wide range of housing prices available from under $50k to multi million dollar homes yet even here there seems to be no desire among builders to build anything new under $200k. I often think that if you had the money to cheaply buy up a bunch of vacant or burned out property in some of the more urban-prairielike neighborhoods of Detroit, then the patience to clear titles and do some parcel assembly and then build a bunch of small homes under $100k or $150k you'd sell through them pretty quickly. Even way far out in the exurbs nobody seems to be building anything in that range.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
After another busy week, I've got a case of the Friday afternoons. I've got stuff to do yet, so this is not good.
My stuff ended about 10 minutes ago with a zoning violation notice to a cell provider store for an illegal air-flappy guy sign.

I'm just chilling for the next 10 minutes until I leave, then I get an extended family weekend for my youngest's first communion tomorrow.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Metro Detroit has a wide range of housing prices available from under $50k to multi million dollar homes yet even here there seems to be no desire among builders to build anything new under $200k. I often think that if you had the money to cheaply buy up a bunch of vacant or burned out property in some of the more urban-prairielike neighborhoods of Detroit, then the patience to clear titles and do some parcel assembly and then build a bunch of small homes under $100k or $150k you'd sell through them pretty quickly. Even way far out in the exurbs nobody seems to be building anything in that range.
Mostly because you can't develop new housing for under $200K so it's a disincentive to developers. Remember the construction cost is only one part of the total development cost and most developers won't sell at cost. That's where subsidy comes in which makes things a whole lot more complicated. Affordable housing isn't affordable to develop and that's lost on a lot of people. In my area, the two or three family house is the de facto housing stock because owners need the rental income to support the mortgage and property taxes.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Waffle House a great American institution

The great Southern tradition, Waffle House, has had its share of controversy lately. The well-run restaurants that are open 24/7/365 are a staple of college kids’ late night, post-party drunk dining.

In fact, in the South you are not officially considered grown up until you decide to eat at a Waffle House stone cold sober.

So when this nut job punk — from Illinois, of course — shot up a Waffle House near my hometown in Tennessee, I took it personally. (Tennessee is called The Volunteer State, because no one can make you live there.)
http://www.newsherald.com/opinion/20180427/hart-waffle-house-great-american-institution

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I guess I'll be talking to a Colorado county about a gig. I hear they have a great stress relief program up there.
Keep us updated. That would be a nice change of pace (and view!).

---

I planted our entire backyard with plants (per a hired LA plan). Then I mulched. Now I am broken. At least I can sit in my chair....

michaelskis

Cyburbian
---

I planted our entire backyard with plants (per a hired LA plan). Then I mulched. Now I am broken. At least I can sit in my chair....
That is something that I am looking to do this fall if I can come to terms with the HOA regarding the minimum plant size (ie, 24" bare-root stock vs 10 gallon/48 inch minimum).

That and build phase 1 of my deck.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Pork butt was 49¢ a pound at Kroger this weekend. The smallest one they had was about 10 pounds (with the bone in) so you better believe we'll be having pork for a bunch of meals this week!

I coated it in garlic, brown sugar, salt, and some cloves then roasted it in the oven overnight last night in some broth. I pulled it out this morning and was letting it cool on the counter while my daughter was eating breakfast but it smelled too good so she pushed aside her Rice Krispies and had a small plate of the pork instead. It was delicious.

Tonight we're having pulled pork sandwiches.
Tuesday will be pork tacos with some Cuban-style seasoning.
Depending on how much we have left, Wednesday will be some tortilla soup with pork or something a bit larger if there is more available.

DVD

Cyburbian
When people move out to the county why do they insist on moving right next to each other and then complaining about the neighbors. :-@

Bubba

Cyburbian
Ah, Atlanta city politics - we'll never be as corrupt as Chicago :)-p), but we're trying...
...and the hits just keep on coming.

Tina Arnold is quitting after more than a decade as a volunteer leader fighting blight in her Atlanta neighborhood. She said she’s burned out and has received no help from the city despite her pleas.

So imagine how she felt when she heard the latest funny business involving former Mayor Kasim Reed and associates.

Particularly this one: a nonprofit created by the city’s business recruitment arm to help distressed and blighted communities made its first investment — $40,000 cost of business-class airfare upgrades so Reed and his entourage could be comfy on what was pitched as an economic development trip to South Africa last year.

What audacious irony. Partners for Prosperity apparently found roomy airline seats to be the only investment worthy in three years.

What a gut punch for people already facing tough odds to make Atlanta’s most struggling neighborhoods more economically viable.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
...and the hits just keep on coming.
What audacious irony. Partners for Prosperity apparently found roomy airline seats to be the only investment worthy in three years.
It's a name game. The acronym for "partners for prosperity" is PFP as opposed to the more appropriate "Partners of our Properity", which would have the acronym "POOP".

DVD

Cyburbian
I swear I just met Elmer Fudd. Bald, speech impediment, just missing the shotgun and asking about rabbit season.

Elmer was upset that I wouldn't hold his cell phone while he was up in court. I guess the lockers in the breakroom aren't good enough for him.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I swear I just met Elmer Fudd. Bald, speech impediment, just missing the shotgun and asking about rabbit season.

Elmer was upset that I wouldn't hold his cell phone while he was up in court. I guess the lockers in the breakroom aren't good enough for him.
omg best image

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Stink bugs are an invasive species that have definitely invaded my home. Over the winter and early spring I probably killed a dozen or so a week in our house (all of them in one general area). I'll be glad when the weather warms up enough so that they move back outside instead of hidden somewhere in our living room where they wake up and forget how to fly and bumble all over the place.

$40,000 cost of business-class airfare upgrades so Reed and his entourage could be comfy on what was pitched as an economic development trip to South Africa last year.
Because god knows it would be terrible to just invest in those neighborhoods without first learning the BEST way to spend money on such projects. In fact, we should fund a few more such missions so that in 20 or 30 years, they can do something really spectacular and award winning about those neighborhoods as a feather in their cap.

Like maybe bulldoze them with a gold plated dozer.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I was not ever intended to be a gardener and I apologize in advance to the plants that I am likely to traumatize. Mea culpa:-x

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
You know what's better than German chocolate cake?
Black Forest cake!

Mrs. Maister baked me one for my birthday several years ago. Mmm mmm!

DVD

Cyburbian
I love it when complaints turn up to just the neighbor being a whiner. A home business grinding tree stumps to mulch is normal in this area.

You know what's better than German chocolate cake?
Black Forest cake!

Mrs. Maister baked me one for my birthday several years ago. Mmm mmm!

Known in my childhood home as schwarzwälder kirschtorte aka Black Forest Cherry Tort. Made with real whipped cream for the filling and icing and a bit of alcohol in the cherry filling iirc.

Always served with coffee. My sister would make extra whipped cream to put in the coffee. I would have half a cup of coffee and fill the rest of the cup with whipped cream. (Then practically pass out from low blood sugar.)

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Pork butt was 49¢ a pound at Kroger this weekend. The smallest one they had was about 10 pounds (with the bone in) so you better believe we'll be having pork for a bunch of meals this week!

I coated it in garlic, brown sugar, salt, and some cloves then roasted it in the oven overnight last night in some broth. I pulled it out this morning and was letting it cool on the counter while my daughter was eating breakfast but it smelled too good so she pushed aside her Rice Krispies and had a small plate of the pork instead. It was delicious.

Tonight we're having pulled pork sandwiches.
Tuesday will be pork tacos with some Cuban-style seasoning.
Depending on how much we have left, Wednesday will be some tortilla soup with pork or something a bit larger if there is more available.
I like using leftover pulled pork in a tortilla soup type stew with tomatillos and hominy

Planit

Cyburbian
I love it when complaints turn up to just the neighbor being a whiner. A home business grinding tree stumps to mulch is normal in this area.
But there are no trees in Kansas...so why do you need a stump grinding businesses?

Maister - I disagree with you. German Chocolate Cake...yum!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I like using leftover pulled pork in a tortilla soup type stew with tomatillos and hominy
I wish the grocery stores near me sold fresh tomatillos. Maybe I'll have to grow some again this summer. That was one of the few vegetables (or is that technically a fruit?) that the deer didn't eat out of my garden.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I got a smoker. It took me 3 hours to put together even though the directions said it would only take 30 minutes. I also didn't want to follow the directions, which was a mistake. I then had to go back and follow the directions.

P.s. The thing weighs 400 lbs. I had to wait until I had help to move lift it from it's side. There were also snack breaks.

Ps.2 When I say snacks, I mean beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.