• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 13 (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Always fun to start out the morning getting berated by a Board member...
And that just reinforces why we are in public service.

Obviously, not for the money, but the irrationality.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Paid off my credit card this week. I had a balance on it when I moved out of the house during the divorce (I had stupidly put the kids X-mas gifts on my card right before she served me papers and teenagers have expensive tastes), then I needed stuff like beds and pillows and blankets and sheets and a table and chairs at my new place. Next thing I know I had $4500 on my card! I swallowed hard and wrote a large check every month to clear that card. It feels damn good, too.:D

I recently learned that the ex had been furiously paying down the card in her name for a little over a year before she served me, while only making the minimum payment on my card. That's what I get for trusting her.

(I hope none of y'all ever find yourself in that situation, but if you do, my advice is to separate your finances from your spouse immediately, if not sooner. Don't be a trusting sap like me.)

kms

Cyburbian
Paid off my credit card this week. I had a balance on it when I moved out of the house during the divorce (I had stupidly put the kids X-mas gifts on my card right before she served me papers and teenagers have expensive tastes), then I needed stuff like beds and pillows and blankets and sheets and a table and chairs at my new place. Next thing I know I had $4500 on my card! I swallowed hard and wrote a large check every month to clear that card. It feels damn good, too.:D

I recently learned that the ex had been furiously paying down the card in her name for a little over a year before she served me, while only making the minimum payment on my card. That's what I get for trusting her.

(I hope none of y'all ever find yourself in that situation, but if you do, my advice is to separate your finances from your spouse immediately, if not sooner. Don't be a trusting sap like me.)
I'm looking forward to paying off one of the college loans I took for my daughter, thanks to the interim bonuses I'm earning. That's going to be a good feeling. I haven't spent a cent of that money on fun things.

I got the short end of the financial stick in my divorce, too. I was the spouse who saved money, but not the one who secretly closed out accounts and took the money.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

The wife and I have no credit cards and all our bank accounts are joint accounts. So we both know what the other is spending. It also helps that we spend mostly cash and we have all of our bills automated to deduct from an account that we auto-deposit the needed amount in just to be sure that they all get paid.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Now that the weather is pretty nice, the thing I look forward to most on Fridays is getting home from work and pushing the stroller to the playground with my youngest daughter while the oldest is at piano lessons.

I love her reaction when we turn onto the block with the playground and she starts pointing and smiling and screaming with joy at the swings and the slides.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I have one credit card simply because there are things that need credit cards. However, I always pay it off when I get the bill.

Planit

Cyburbian
Mrs. P & I have separate accounts since the beginning. We split the bills and expenses with no issue.

Her ex made sure of future separate accounts by some of the same shenanigans you've mentioned. I realized my ex was getting ready to do something when she started her own bank account (which I found out by accident). I checked our other accounts and saw some withdrawals. I was able to switch the savings account into my name. She was upset when she found out and I put everything on the table. She didn't know I knew what she had been doing. I also handed her a hand-written note that basically said you'll get half of what's in the savings account that day when you leave like you've been setting up to do behind my back. I paid off the 2 credit cards we had with savings and closed the accounts. I opened another card up for me and told her she could do the same for her. She was pissed but didn't have a comeback. She also threatened to take half my retirement, to which I reminded her I was entitled to half of hers (they were about equal value) and that ended that argument.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I sent 3 emails over the course of a week with no response. I included the threat of a NOV in the forth and I get a response in 3 minutes. It was a near Jerry Maquire moment... "you had me at NOV".

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Joking aside, does anyone else feel Kanye West could benefit considerably from some well-administered psychological treatment?

Planit

Cyburbian
Joking aside, does anyone else feel Kanye West could benefit considerably from some well-administered psychological treatment?
It maybe too late for such. He married a Kardashian. Just look what happened to Bruce and Lamar Odom!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Most of my work is done over email or face-to-face and I get only a few phone calls a week in a typical week. I picked up my phone to call somebody at the Water Commissioner's Office this morning and there was no dial tone but I just started dialing the number anyway. Mid-dialing I heard a woman saying, "Hello? Hello?"

With so few phone calls coming in to my desk each day, what are the odds that when I pick up to call somebody, I actually picked it up as somebody was calling me and before it even rang on my end.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The smoker purchase was not a bad choice, it potentially was the best choice (other than conning my wife to marry me) I have ever made.

I am a happy chappy.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I just had to tell an applicant for a special use permit that we were going to be holding off on hearing his request until next month due to a lot of really long, complicated issues. He didn't take it well. He's now threatening to park pigs and junk cars on the property to piss off the neighbors. That's not going to help his case at all.

Also, it makes me feel very sad for the pigs. They don't deserve to be treated like that.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
stop the math myth!!!

Another day has gone by and I haven't used algebra.
Ahhhh, don't say that!

Did you read a statistic, consider a probability, calculate an interest, split a restaurant check with multiple people...every time you need to problem solve a situation that involves money, time, distance, the perimeter of a fence, volume of something, cost versus time, you are using algebra!

I love you anyway :a:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We did not receive an invitation to the Royal Wedding.
Neither did we. We didn't last time either. I'm beginning to suspect it was not simply a matter of being overlooked, but that the affront was intentional. Indeed.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I could have happily lived the rest of my life without seeing that 102MPH tipped ball strike Yadier Molina in his Man-Place.:-x:-o:-c:-$8-!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I could have happily lived the rest of my life without seeing that 102MPH tipped ball strike Yadier Molina in his Man-Place.:-x:-o:-c:-$8-!
I do hope for his sake he was wearing a cup. Even so......102 mph?:-c

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I do hope for his sake he was wearing a cup. Even so......102 mph?:-c
Yes indeed - 102MPH pitched baseball.

He had emergency surgery that night for a "traumatic hematoma".8-!
A cup is only provides minor protection. He had to have surgery on his .... "stuff"
Typically, at this point you'd see a thread split - to encourage additional discussion. I'm not feeling very inclined to do so in this particular instance.:s:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Last week Leonys Martín of the Tigers hit an absolutely massive HR after fouling one off his sack
. Now that's what I call testicular fortitude!

Now that the weather is pretty nice, the thing I look forward to most on Fridays is getting home from work and pushing the stroller to the playground with my youngest daughter while the oldest is at piano lessons.

I love her reaction when we turn onto the block with the playground and she starts pointing and smiling and screaming with joy at the swings and the slides.
We went to the playground after work as we do most Fridays but a wind storm earlier in the day had sent a large tree crashing down on the baby swings and destroyed them. :( My daughter didn't even notice though since somebody had left one of those plastic Little Tykes cars there. She played in it for nearly 40 minutes straight and cried when I had to pry her out of it to head back home.

A few minutes before we left the playground though I heard the telltale sound of an ice cream truck coming up one of the side streets. The playground was pretty busy and all of the parents immediately stopped and turned to find the source of the music and sure enough an ice cream truck turned slowly onto the street and proceeded to go past very slowly and turn down the next block. After 9 years in the neighborhood, this is only the second time I saw an ice cream truck come through and the other time was shortly after we moved in. Of course I had no wallet with me so I couldn't partake. :( Hopefully this will become a more frequent sighting in the area.

S'Mores made from marshmallow Peeps instead of regular marshmallows. Yay or nay?
Yay. Very much yay
Yay indeed. They were delicious. The sugar on the Peeps quickly caramelized into a crispy glaze similar to the top of a crème brûlée. The first couple I made, I just ate the toasted Peep but then my daughter tried one in a s'more and it was fantastic.

:)

(ten characters)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I made a presentation at the Citizens Academy today. We have a population of over 170,000. Five citizens are enrolled. :r:

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Lesson learned this weekend.. don't take selfies with real bears.. Seriously... don't

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Neither did we. We didn't last time either. I'm beginning to suspect it was not simply a matter of being overlooked, but that the affront was intentional. Indeed.
I got invited, but I am not going due to the Trump snub. I mean how could I go if you didn't invite the President.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Lesson learned this weekend.. don't take selfies with real bears.. Seriously... don't
If that's not an posthumous Darwin Award winner I don't know what is. A little reminder that our position on the food chain can slip.

A cup is only provides minor protection. He had to have surgery on his .... "stuff"
I hope he's fathered all the children he wants to. I also hope they gave him plenty of pain killers. I can't even begin to imagine.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Primary Election Day here in Indiana -

Thanks to The Man, Unions, and anybody else - it's a scheduled holiday - day off.

DVD

Cyburbian
I could have told you that. They hate the flash. Learned that in Bulgaria back in '95.

Of course I took another picture with a bear at the circus last month, but I was standing a few feet away and left the flash off.

I just got the okay for the lawyer to file against a trash complaint. The village idiot wants to know if we're breaking any laws by cleaning up his junk. The same idiot is the one that was on me non stop about the trash on his neighbor's property.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
That means if they tell you they will have it finished by the end of the week, they probably won't.
Pretty much just like every contractor I've used since we bought our house. (My tile guy was supposed to be at the house by 9 am, now it's around lunchtime. He was supposed to be done last Friday.)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The village idiot wants to know if we're breaking any laws by cleaning up his junk.
That question needs to be on the next essay portion of the AICP test.

Those are the types of questions I love to give to newly minted planners...just to watch them completely miss the actual answer.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Pretty much just like every contractor I've used since we bought our house. (My tile guy was supposed to be at the house by 9 am, now it's around lunchtime. He was supposed to be done last Friday.)
It always amazes how bad most of the contractors I've dealt with for home-related type stuff are at keeping and making appointments and then following up with some communication when they are behind schedule. It seems that the smaller the contractor is (i.e. is it just one guy working out of a van?) the worse they are at showing up. First it takes forever to even get folks to even come out and take a look and write up an estimate and good luck getting them to show up on time for the estimate or for the actual scheduled work. I like supporting small businesses as much as possible but these days, if it's something small that can be completed in just a few hours but is still beyond my capabilities we almost always call one a chain handyman service. They always show up when they say they will.

For larger jobs, like the patio we re-did a few years or the soffits/fascia we replaced last year, we went with the companies that gave the highest of the quotes that we got for the jobs because they both were the best at showing up on time and actually communicating with us.

We're starting to plan out our kitchen remodel and I am not looking forward to that process.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yeah, that's part of it.

He rebuilt the pan and the walls, but was having trouble finding tile to match the 1950s vintage stuff. He actually went AWOL for a couple weeks. I finally told him to just fill in the new areas with modern tile that complements the old stuff color-wise and he re-engaged. He's been pretty good about communicating since then.

Not really fair to say he should have been done Friday. Yes, that was the plan, but there was a weather delay since he cuts the tile outside (so as to not get tile dust and slurry all over my house or garage) and it rained most of the day. He showed up at 3:00 and got quite a bit done. He didn't come Monday on my preference; my son is done with school for the year as of today so he's home and can let Hector in (and watch the dogs).

If we only had a single bathroom, this would be unacceptable but the house has another one. Since we moved in we've been using the hall bath for showers. Once the tile job is done we'll be able to use the master bath as well.

But still... I think with contractors, the smaller the company, the more resource-constained they are and so it's a lot harder to juggle competing priorities from multiple customers. The alternative is that you end up with empty days when you don't bring in any money. I can't really complain about the tile thing because he charged me only a nominal fee for the whole job that might, if he's lucky, cover his assistant's pay for this job.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I took Friday and Monday off. I get my dad tickets to the Wells Fargo Championship in Charlotte for his birthday every year. We saw Tiger, but he was so far away. The crowds following him were massive compared to everyone else. It was kinda crazy. I got within 5' of Paul Casey and Bryson DeChambeau. Both seem like fantastic people.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
T: kjel can you approve these invoices?
Me: No. They are from before my start date.
T: Ok I will go ask R.
R: Did you see these? Are you ok with these?
Me: No. They are from before my start date.
R: Ok I will look at them.

10 minutes later....
R: These aren't ok.
Me: Where's the contract with the line item cost breakdown?
R: Here's the resolution.
Me: That's not the contract.
R: I don't know.
Me: Find out.

5 minutes later...
R: We bid this out under engineering's contract.
Me: Why?
R: I was told to do that.
Me: So what exactly did you agree too? Hourly rates, reimbursable expenses, etc?
R: I don't know. They filled out something.
Me: So don't approve it til you find the contract and compare the charges against it.
R: I'm sorry.
Me: I know.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Last week I got an email from some solar group installing a farm here regarding fence height, and whether the barbed wire was included. I said no, the ordinance doesn't require barbed wire, but it allows it, plus their approved site plan showed an 8' tall fence. They had no issues and moved on.

Turns out they had already installed the 6' high fence with barbed wire around the ENTIRE compound and were in the middle of tearing it all down today :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:. Oh well. It was probably a mile of fencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.