• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 13 (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, to be fair, my income is decent (comparatively) given my 15+ years experience and my leadership position.

But we're not extravagant spenders. Our newer minivan is 2 yrs old and we have a payment, but our other minivan is 10 yrs old and paid off. We plan to run the old one for as long as possible.
Or........you could sell both and get Volvo's!!!!!

Some of the news reports regarding the shooter in FL said that there were warning signs.

PLEASE PEOPLE. If there are warning signs, PLEASE notify the authorities! Even if it is just someone going to check on them.

Man props to you, I have no idea how anyone makes a one income household work with kids. I'm a one income household since it's just me, and I've been looking at replacing my Jeep for the past few days. I have NO idea how people can afford new cars. I was looking at trucks earlier, and I can either buy a tiny truck that doesn't fit my needs, or something with 250k in the odometer. I just don't get it.
Prices on new trucks, especially full size trucks, are insane. They've become the profit centers for the automakers and they load them up with just about every option possible since sales of luxury cars have sort of plateaued over the past decade or so. Basically, a new F150 or GMC Sierra is today's Lincoln or Cadillac since tastes and buying preferences have changed. And I would wager that >90% of the buyers will never tow anything or put anything in the bed that they couldn't put in the trunk of a large car or the back of a mid-size SUV. Maybe they'll use the truck to bring home a mattress one time or move their sister's couch for them.

Some of the news reports regarding the shooter in FL said that there were warning signs.

PLEASE PEOPLE. If there are warning signs, PLEASE notify the authorities! Even if it is just someone going to check on them.
It was reported that a person that posted a Youtube video said that some months ago, the shooter commented he would be a Professional School Shooter and the person who posted the video reported the comment to the FBI. Not sure what, if any, action was taken by the FBI.

AG74683

Cyburbian
It was reported that a person that posted a Youtube video said that some months ago, the shooter commented he would be a Professional School Shooter and the person who posted the video reported the comment to the FBI. Not sure what, if any, action was taken by the FBI.
I don't really understand what action was expected. A random YouTube video with a comment from a random dude. The FBI said they couldn't tie the user to anyone, and there was little to no other information to go on. They investigated as far as they could go. Yeah, the user name was the dudes name, but that doesn't mean it was actually him posting at all. There's probably 700 comments on various videos saying the same thing.

I mean it's definitely regrettable that nothing more could be done, but this isn't Minority Report.

I don't really understand what action was expected. A random YouTube video with a comment from a random dude. The FBI said they couldn't tie the user to anyone, and there was little to no other information to go on. They investigated as far as they could go. Yeah, the user name was the dudes name, but that doesn't mean it was actually him posting at all. There's probably 700 comments on various videos saying the same thing.

I mean it's definitely regrettable that nothing more could be done, but this isn't Minority Report.
Totally agree with you. WTF was the FBI supposed to do? People say all sorts of stupid shit and record themselves doing it. But unless the guy committed a crime, what is to be done? I mean, Congress has pretty much flat our refused to get involved in stopping crazy people from getting guns so I sure hope none of them say anything about it.

The bigger question to me is WHY are we so angry/sad whatever that we want to kill people all the time? I mean I get pissed off frequently (an easy 85% of people are complete assholes) but I have no plans to kill anybody.

Gedunker

Mod
<:snip:>
The bigger question to me is WHY are we so angry/sad whatever that we want to kill people all the time? I mean I get pissed off frequently (an easy 85% of people are complete assholes) but I have no plans to kill anybody.
I have noticed that there is a much greater likelihood of the school shootings to happen in suburban or rural locations. I wonder what might be behind that?

AG74683

Cyburbian
I don't think enough people are asking this question. I think everyone is really quick to blame gun control, but most statistics show that gun ownership in the US has actually dropped from the 1970's and 80's. It was definitely easier to buy a gun in the pre-Brady Bill era too. Hell, I'm pretty sure you could mail order guns through Sears catalogs direct to your house, and they were super cheap, even in 1960's- 70's money.

I think the general consensus is "violence on TV" or "violence in video games". Was violence on TV not a serious issue in the 50's - 70's, even with the Vietnam War raging? I certainly don't think that we have less mental health treatment now than we did decades ago either. People weren't so apt to air their personal issues on social media or to a therapist in 1972, so what's the deal?

Over to the home front....

We put an offer on another house tonight. It just hit multiple listings today. As our realtor was pulling up, someone else was showing the house to a client. We got home and offered a little over the ask.

It's a 1956 traditional home, on its first owner. She just went into assisted living and is selling the home. Her family did a great job getting it ready for sale- fresh paint, beautifully refinished hardwood floors throughout. The house had a two car attached garage that's been converted to a family room; they built a detached garage to replace it. The detached garage has a loft for storage. Incredible.

The downside is it's one block from a freeway, and you can hear the road noise inside, but just barely- the kind of thing that your brain will learn to ignore after a couple weeks.

We're not assured the offer will be accepted; our realtor said there could be a potential bidding war. So we'll see.

Hardwood floors.... EVERYWHERE!

Last edited:
I have noticed that there is a much greater likelihood of the school shootings to happen in suburban or rural locations. I wonder what might be behind that?
Access to guns and gun culture and more popular isolation. Kids in urban areas have more opportunities for developing friendships and extracurricular activities and have less access to guns and gun worship.

Doohickie - that is a good looking house and property

I really like that house Doohickie. Our neighborhood was built out in the late 1950s and early 1960s and that house looks like a lot of the homes in our neighborhood.

As for being nearby to a freeway - you really do get used to that fast. Our property abutted an interstate when I was growing up. It was out on a farm and our house sat a few acres from the interstate so it wasn't quite as loud as being in a busier setting but it never bothered me. Now that I don't live there, when I am just there for a visit I can notice it (but it's not bothersome at all).

FWIW, if I am in a typical suburban area, I'd rather be a block or two from a freeway than a busy highway/main road. On the freeway or interstate the traffic is usually continually going so you don't get the noise of the cars stopping, idling at traffic lights, or taking back off. All of that seems infinitely louder.

When I picked my daughter up from her after school program yesterday, it was about 52º so I agreed to take her to the ice cream stand a couple blocks from her school that had just opened for the season (this stand always opens nice and early in the year and stays open into November which I appreciate). When we were walking back to the school parking lot with our ice cream I noticed there were 4 houses for sale on the same block with the ice cream stand and my daughter commented that she knows it's always been my dream to live right next to the Dairy Deluxe so we should move there! I appreciated that she cares about my sincere dreams but I thought about it and the houses are all just a short distance <.2 miles from what is the default main street through Detroit and the northern suburbs and there are plenty of stoplights so the traffic is always stop-and-go. I cannot imagine how loud it would be to live right there.

Doohickie, regarding the proximity to the highway thing. All I can say is you should watch the Blues Brothers again this weekend.

http://www.tzr.io/yarn-clip/a8aaf87f-fe8a-4e58-9697-bc09b49b5d87

Having lived close to a highway I can tell you Elwood is right.
That's the way we're looking at it. We saw the house at the end of rush hour. If we were quiet and didn't move, yeah, we could make out some highway noise, but other than that, not really. Outside in the yard is a little more noticeable, but I think we'll get used to it.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
Went to the capital yesterday. Lots of people talking and not saying anything. Our transportation secretary reminds me of grandpa munster.

FWIW, if I am in a typical suburban area, I'd rather be a block or two from a freeway than a busy highway/main road. On the freeway or interstate the traffic is usually continually going so you don't get the noise of the cars stopping, idling at traffic lights, or taking back off. All of that seems infinitely louder.
There *is* an on-ramp nearby so I expect that we'll hear the accelerating engines. It will probably be pretty bad in the morning, as there is both a state highway and city transportation facility near that entrance and the heavy trucks will be using that onramp.

I should be excited about this, but I have a certain amount of trepidation. I fear that either we won't get this house and have to settle for something inferior, or the buyer on my house (a real estate investor) will back out or lower his offer after inspection, or... who knows what. Having so many moving pieces and not being able control them is frustrating.

After the fiasco of the first house, I don't trust the realtor who was representing the seller. That same realtor is representing the buyer of my house. So I'm just waiting for something to go wrong. If it all goes through as currently bid/offered, I'll be a very happy guy.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I know. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into a bidding war. We should know in a day or so.
I like it! It needs some minor interior updating I think, but not much, mostly in the light fixture department. I'm surprised at how the kitchen looks. I found that it was impossible to find a house in that era with one owner who actually updated the kitchen. Gas fire place upgrade would be nice too.

I like it! It needs some minor interior updating I think, but not much, mostly in the light fixture department. I'm surprised at how the kitchen looks. I found that it was impossible to find a house in that era with one owner who actually updated the kitchen. Gas fire place upgrade would be nice too.
My wife's not a big fan of the living room/dining room curtains. I suggested taking down the sheers and replacing the gold drapes with a deeper tone like a bold green or scarlet. We probably won't do much with those until we've settled in.

It looks like the kitchen was added on with the attached garage (now a family room). I'm not sure how it was originally built, but it's pretty apparent that the original kitchen was very, very small, and may have spilled into what is now the formal dining room. But the kitchen/garage is clearly an addition. Based on the age of the house, I think the owners are about my mom's age, 80s (I grew up in a house built the same year), so they might have done some updates just before retirement about 20 years ago.

We met one of the neighbors who knew the owners well (grew up in the neighborhood as friends with their kids). She was excited that we might be her new neighbors. That's *exactly* why we're interested in this particular neighborhood- the sense of community we feel there. Much of Fort Worth is comprised of attractive but bland and boring neighborhoods with stockade fences around the yards and the only time you see the neighbors is when their garage door opens and they pull out or in. South Hills is a neighborhood where you see a lot of people out on the streets going for walks, walking their dogs, etc.

I also realized that some people we used to go to church with and we were always friendly with live two short blocks away from this house. (And the last time I spoke with them, they were inquiring about the church we moved to.) So maybe we can renew that friendship.

Status
Not open for further replies.