• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 13 (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele Zone

BANNED
THIS is a normal conversation with her. Mrs. P understands why I tend to get annoyed.
I did similar things when I was deathly ill and high fever was causing short-term memory problems.

So I sit here reading your anecdote and I find myself wondering if her memory is starting to go.

Planit

Cyburbian
I did similar things when I was deathly ill and high fever was causing short-term memory problems.

So I sit here reading your anecdote and I find myself wondering if her memory is starting to go.
She 85 and my brothers and I have seen some minor instances. She still works (accounts payable for a company) 3 days a week & drives.
However, this line of questioning/conversation has been normal for most of my life.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
She 85 and my brothers and I have seen some minor instances. She still works (accounts payable for a company) 3 days a week & drives.
However, this line of questioning/conversation has been normal for most of my life.
My wife is many years younger than your mother and that conversation sounds like many I've had with her in the 13 years I've known her.

I dropped a roughly 10 pound handle on my foot at the gym this morning. It fell off a cable pulley from about 7' up in the air and landed pointing down at the top of my foot so all of that force and weight was concentrated on the part of my foot with the least padding. It was totally my fault - I just wasn't paying attention when I was trying to swap out the handles and let it slip right through my hands. Nothing appears to be broken and it thankfully didn't even break the skin but it was the most painful thing I have felt in a very very long time. The pain was so intense and sudden that I thought I was about to vomit. I went and sat down and rested for 15 minutes or so and was able to continue my workout, but damn it still hurts a bit!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
My mom was in town this weekend and I took her shopping to her favorite store here. She bought a couple things and looked at a few more.

Later in the day, she and Mrs. P were going to the grocery store and mom asked if I would go back to the other store to pick up one thing that she'd thought about but didn't buy earlier. I went while they were gone & gave it to her when they got back. Here's the conversation:

Planit: Here you go mom and I picked up the card that goes with it.
Mom: This looks like what I wanted. Thank you.
P: No problem, glad I could do it.
M: Is this what we looked at earlier?
P: Yes it is.
M: Did you ask the clerk if this is what we talked about?
P: Yes I did.
M: Did you tell her what I wanted it for to make sure?
P: Yes I did mom.
M: Did she seem to think it was a good choice?
P: Well its in her store, so...
M: You know its for a gift.
P: Yes mom.
M: And you know what it's used to help?
P: Yes mom and the card gives the different uses and directions.
M: Well I just want to make sure because of who it's for.
P: Yes mom I know.
M: I guess it's the right thing then.
P: I'm sure she'll like it.
M: Okay then.

THIS is a normal conversation with her. Mrs. P understands why I tend to get annoyed.
Insecurity about decisions seems to be a thing affecting a certain personality type more significantly than others. But every personality type has its own crosses to bear.

DVD

Cyburbian
Everything is ready for me to go here at work so I'll just be bored playing around on the internet all day.

I've got everything in the house packed except TVs and the computer and a couple little things. I told the wife I want to pack it all tonight so we just pack the car tomorrow and go.

What! How will I watch NCIS tonight and how will the kids go with no internet. Really? My family can't last one night without TV and internet? I guess the TV and little things get packed first thing Wednesday morning. :r:

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Everything is ready for me to go here at work so I'll just be bored playing around on the internet all day.

I've got everything in the house packed except TVs and the computer and a couple little things. I told the wife I want to pack it all tonight so we just pack the car tomorrow and go.

What! How will I watch NCIS tonight and how will the kids go with no internet. Really? My family can't last one night without TV and internet? I guess the TV and little things get packed first thing Wednesday morning. :r:

I hope that your drive is uneventul and that the cable/internet company gets you hooked up right away!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Being unplugged for a night & next couple of days (travel) won't kill you. Read a book.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Random Thought Progress Report

__________ 1000, _2000, 3000, _4000,_5000, _6000,_7000,_8000, _9,000,_10K,_11K, _12K, Closing #
#13 - 2018 - 03-16, 05-31, 08-10
#12 - 2017 - 02-28, 05-23, 08-24, 11-28, 12-29, 5096
#11 - 2016 - 02-09, 03-23, 05-12, 07-01, 08-18, 10-12, 12-07, 12-31, 8,072
#10 - 2015 - 02-06, 04-06, 06-15, 08-14, 10-01, 11-29, 12-30, 12-31, 12-31,9,570
# 9 -- 2014 - 01-31, 03-12, 05-21, 08-09, 10-21, 12-11, 12-30, 12-31, 12-31, 9,291
# 8 -- 2013 - 01-18, 02-12, 03-22, 04-22, 05-17, 06-20, 07-30, 09-16, ,11-13, 12-19, 12-31, 12-31, 12,050
# 7 -- 2012 - 02-23, 05-12, 07-10, 09-12, 11-06, 12-06, 12-28, 12-31, 12-31, 9,327
# 6 -- 2011 - 02-25, 04-12, 05-26, 06-30, 08-10, 10-05, 12-05, 12-31, 8,041
# 5 -- 2010 - 03-04, 05-09, 07-26, 09-22, 11-24, 5,563
# 4 -- 2009 - 02-19, 04-24, 07-13, 10-07, 12-31, 5,004
# 3 -- 2008 - 04-04, 07-07, 09-23, 12-22, 4,085
# 2 -- 2007 - 03-10, 05-19, 07-24, 10-11, 4,862
adjusted by the 50 posts that were listed in #1 and posted on & after 01/01

Red highlight shows that we are not random enough in our thoughts.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I've been using the same brown paper bag for my lunch since November 7, 2010 and today it a hole finally tore in it. Tomorrow I'll treat myself to a new brown paper bag from the pantry.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Okay this is weird and I've never heard of this in my life. Someone I work with was telling me that typically women drop their middle names and the middle name becomes their maiden name and the last name becomes the married name. I've never heard of this in my life and it sounds super weird.

Last edited:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Okay this is weird and I've never heard of this in my life. Someone I work with was telling me that typically women drop their middle names and the middle name becomes their maiden name and the last name becomes the married name. I've never heard of this in my life and it sounds super weird.
My mom did this. She hated her middle name and it started with the same letter as her maiden name so there you go. I've seen it before with other women but I think it was a "thing" in earlier times.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Um, what? How have you never heard of this?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I have a few friends who did this and I wish I had - it's a way to keep your family name without hyphening it

gtpeach

Cyburbian
My mom did this. She hated her middle name and it started with the same letter as her maiden name so there you go. I've seen it before with other women but I think it was a "thing" in earlier times.
I'm planning on doing this. I don't have any real connection to my middle name. I have a HUGE connection to my last name, though - I've had it for 38 years! I was considering hyphenating, but I have an 11-letter, 3-syllable last name already. We also (briefly) discussed combining our last names. That was actually his idea, which I thought was awesome. I got a really conservative church, where we met. So it's nice to know he's not overly traditional about these things. But in this case, I'll probably follow convention.

Gedunker

Moderating
My ex transited her maiden name to her middle name while we were married. There were some things however, that used her given middle name and my last name (before she re-took her maiden name post divorce {{Thank God for small favors!!}}). She said it created some nasty issues for her when she tried to get a secure ID drivers license. She apparently can't get a passport until she gets it worked out.:D

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife did this when we got married but I had never heard of such a thing before. I had seen people just add the new last name to their old one (hyphenated or not) but never knew of somebody who moved their maiden name to their middle name. Of course, I have no idea what the middle name is of most of the women I interact with on a daily basis. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is more common than I realized.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I dunno. My mom didn't do it, and my experience with marriage is a big fat 0. Apparently this is common according to the one other woman who is currently speaking to me. Is it a southern thing, or all over? My parents are from Wisconsin so I was thinking maybe this is just regional.

My buddy said his wife did this, and she's from Maryland.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I've been using the same brown paper bag for my lunch since November 7, 2010 and today it a hole finally tore in it. Tomorrow I'll treat myself to a new brown paper bag from the pantry.
After a mere 2,886 days and you're just gonna heedlessly throw that paper bag away!!? What, you don't think the world's landfills have enough garbage to fill them? For shame! You are morally obligated to maximize this planet's resources and must therefore FIX the bag. They say duct tape can do wonders.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I haven't heard about either.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I hadn't heard of this either but it's probably more common than I realize. My mom didn't do it and I didn't (first time around). I have been thinking about doing it this time because I switched back to my maiden name after I got divorced, and I like my unique last name (similar to your plan Peach), but I also like my fiance's last name. But I just switched my name back 3 years ago and am concerned that so many name changes will create lots of confusion and paperwork drama. So I dunno.

Michele Zone

BANNED
You a Southerner, clearly.

I was born and raised in the South, but mom is a German immigrant and dad was a Hoosier originally who was career military. I didn't know about this until my sister did it. Both her husbands were died in the wool Southerners, basically.

Visiting my sister and working at Aflac is also where I got exposed to the Southern practice of showing respect by calling someone Mr. or Ms. Firstname.
This seems to mostly be confined to upper class and very religious social circles, from what I gather.

I grew up in Georgia, but not rich and not attending church. I was an adult before I really ran into that.

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian

I was born and raised in the South, but mom is a German immigrant and dad was a Hoosier originally who was career military. I didn't know about this until my sister did it. Both her husbands were died in the wool Southerners, basically.
AH, so it IS a southern thing?! That explains it, since my parents are not from here, and I've largely been immune to southern things.

I need to come up with two questions for an interview we have Friday. It's for a weird floating position shared by Planning/Zoning, Env. Health, and Inspections. I have nothing for this person to do really, so I want to put exactly zero effort into the questions. Any suggestions?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

Visiting my sister and working at Aflac is also where I got exposed to the Southern practice of showing respect by calling someone Mr. or Ms. First-time.
This seems to mostly be confined to upper class and very religious social circles, from what I gather.

I grew up in Georgia, but not rich and not attending church. I was an adult before I really ran into that.
You bring a couple of good points. We didn't do it in the Midwest. Good thing too, one of my grandmothers would have had a tongue twister of a name, combining Swedish and German names.

I had to learn the Miss Anne, Mr. Joe, etc and it took me a while with some very patient people. I've also noticed the rules kinda change depending on where you are in the South.

Michele Zone

BANNED
AH, so it IS a southern thing?! That explains it, since my parents are not from here, and I've largely been immune to southern things.
That's my understanding, yeah. It's a detail of Southern culture you don't necessarily hear about living there if you aren't intimately included in certain circles.

I don't think there is intent to exclude anyone. It's just somewhat personal and just doesn't really come up casually.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I hadn't heard of this either but it's probably more common than I realize. My mom didn't do it and I didn't (first time around). I have been thinking about doing it this time because I switched back to my maiden name after I got divorced, and I like my unique last name (similar to your plan Peach), but I also like my fiance's last name. But I just switched my name back 3 years ago and am concerned that so many name changes will create lots of confusion and paperwork drama. So I dunno.
One of my friends told me if you hyphenate your name in her state (MN) you can legally go by either. I don't know if that's state specific or not, but it's an option to consider. I don't actually love CGG's last name that much, but I like him enough to change my name for him. Since so much of what we're doing is not traditional, I think I feel better incorporating some of the more traditional aspects to make it feel real.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Miniskis loves the game of baseball and this season his team has done really well and all the games were evenly matched. However last night for some reason they had to play against a team that was so far out of their talent level that parents where getting angry. By the time the game ended, the score was 17-0 and my son's team was barely able to have each person up to bat once. In the 3rd inning (final), the coach rotated out the pitcher 4 times in an attempt to stop the carnage. One of the other dads said that the team was actually a neighboring community's All-Star travel-team that plays 2 games a week and has multiple days of practice throughout the entire season. However, some reason got put into our rotation, were our league rules have all the practices before the season starts and then just games after that. It is not just my kid's team. The team before them lost 20-0 to this all-star team.

At what point is this cruel to kids, some of whom are just starting to learn the game of baseball? Do you put a class D community college basketball team against Duke or Kentucky for a regular season game?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I need to come up with two questions for an interview we have Friday. It's for a weird floating position shared by Planning/Zoning, Env. Health, and Inspections. I have nothing for this person to do really, so I want to put exactly zero effort into the questions. Any suggestions?
My suggestion would be to not fill the position if you have nothing for them to do. And if some part of the job is necessary have it transferred completely to where it is needed. That doesn't seem like a good use of resources to me.

AG74683

Cyburbian
My suggestion would be to not fill the position if you have nothing for them to do. And if some part of the job is necessary have it transferred completely to where it is needed. That doesn't seem like a good use of resources to me.
Well it's a floating thing, so they'll be reporting to three departments. I guess the other two have justification, but I don't see it.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Well it's a floating thing, so they'll be reporting to three departments. I guess the other two have justification, but I don't see it.
How will you manage reporting to three different departments in the situation that they may all have different priorities?

Otis

Cyburbian
Ms. Otis did this. It was 30 years ago and at that time I think it was more or less the norm.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Miniskis loves the game of baseball and this season his team has done really well and all the games were evenly matched...

At what point is this cruel to kids, some of whom are just starting to learn the game of baseball?
That's a hard question because I can see it from both teams sides. The team that is getting whallopped still gets the game experience plus they are getting the experience of playing against much better players which I think helps their skills in the long run. The all star caliber team gets the opportunity to make sure everybody on their team plays since they can make sure all the bench warmers get in there when the score is so lopsided (unless the coach is a d!ck). If that team keeps beating everybody like that all season long though, the league needs to consider moving them up a level or spreading that talent around.

My daughter has done baseball a couple of times now and she enjoys it. It's basically one step up from tee-ball (the coaches pitch) and the kids are mostly randomly assigned to teams so the "talent" is pretty well spread around so there weren't too many lopsided scores but the games were limited to 5 or 6 innings (I cannot recall which) and they had a few rules in place to make sure there were no run away games like the teams couldn't go through the entire batting order more than once in an inning and if a team got up by X number of runs, their inning was over and the other team would get a couple extra at-bats the next inning. They also had a rule so that every kid on the team was guaranteed at least 3 at bats a game. Of course some of these rules only work at the lowest levels since they were mainly just trying to teach some fieldwork fundamentals and how to play as part of a team. There were no league champions or anything like that.

Last edited:

Otis

Cyburbian
I’m not usually this vulgar, but wtf? Really?
I had a burrito for lunch yesterday at one of the local Mexican restaurants, and it had peas and carrots in it. I guess to bulk it up. That is just so wrong.

But you still should apply for my job. There are other, better, Mexican restaurants in town.

Michele Zone

BANNED
How will you manage reporting to three different departments in the situation that they may all have different priorities?

So, I'm not actually 100% clear if this was intended as a "suggested question," but I think it works as one. In case it is and other people are also fuzzy about that, I thought I would point that out.

Maybe as a second one: What are your long term career goals and how does this hybrid position fit with them?

DISCLAIMER: I have had exactly one full-time paid job and have never hired anyone. So my suggested question might be incredibly stupid.

One police officer's unique approach to fighting deadly 'fake news' rumors spread on WhatsApp in India

kms

Cyburbian
I went from k.a.m. to k.m.s. to k.m.m. For the bargain price of $26, I could resume using my family surname but not my original middle name. Hence, my middle and last name are the same. My kids think it’s pretty funny and I’m ok with it.

I agree. It must be a southern thing. My mom did the same.

AG74683

Cyburbian
This is why it's stupid. It makes no sense. I think the intent is to have someone just standing by when one of the three department heads leave because all three of us are going to be difficult to replace.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
This is why it's stupid. It makes no sense. I think the intent is to have someone just standing by when one of the three department heads leave because all three of us are going to be difficult to replace.
I actually did intend for that to be an interview question you could ask. It may also have the effect of convincing them that the job is a bad idea...

Planit

Cyburbian
Miniskis loves the game of baseball and this season his team has done really well and all the games were evenly matched. However last night for some reason they had to play against a team that was so far out of their talent level that parents where getting angry. By the time the game ended, the score was 17-0 and my son's team was barely able to have each person up to bat once. In the 3rd inning (final), the coach rotated out the pitcher 4 times in an attempt to stop the carnage. One of the other dads said that the team was actually a neighboring community's All-Star travel-team that plays 2 games a week and has multiple days of practice throughout the entire season. However, some reason got put into our rotation, were our league rules have all the practices before the season starts and then just games after that. It is not just my kid's team. The team before them lost 20-0 to this all-star team.

At what point is this cruel to kids, some of whom are just starting to learn the game of baseball? Do you put a class D community college basketball team against Duke or Kentucky for a regular season game?
There's a team in travel soccer league where The Girl plays. They routinely beat all other teams in the league 4-0 to 8-0 for the last 3 years. Each year, because of their record they are eligible to move up to the top league (we're in the 2nd division of 4) and each year they decline due to "travel difficulties" and NCYSA allows them to stay down. Additionally their coach is a d!ck and will not rotate players. I heard him tell his players that winning means everything. These are 15 yo girls!!!

Ms. Otis did this. It was 30 years ago and at that time I think it was more or less the norm.
It's very common in these parts. Mom did it in the 50's - both brothers wives did it in the 80's - Mrs. P 1 & 2 did it. Most all married women I know here have done it.

Bubba

Cyburbian
There's a team in travel soccer league where The Girl plays. They routinely beat all other teams in the league 4-0 to 8-0 for the last 3 years. Each year, because of their record they are eligible to move up to the top league (we're in the 2nd division of 4) and each year they decline due to "travel difficulties" and NCYSA allows them to stay down. Additionally their coach is a d!ck and will not rotate players. I heard him tell his players that winning means everything. These are 15 yo girls!!!
A buddy of mine used to coach HS soccer for a small high school in south Georgia (2A - the GHSA classifications go up to 7A). His teams were generally good enough to finish from fourth to second in their Region, which would put them on the road for the first round of the state playoffs against one of the private schools here in Atlanta, the result of which was always guaranteed to be a beat down. I appreciated the coaches that took their foot off the gas as soon as they built a comfortable lead in those games, because the couple of times that teams kept running the score up in the second half were just miserable experiences.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I actually did intend for that to be an interview question you could ask. It may also have the effect of convincing them that the job is a bad idea...
OH! That makes sense! I'd rather not ask any questions and just nod my head politely.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
A buddy of mine used to coach HS soccer for a small high school in south Georgia (2A - the GHSA classifications go up to 7A). His teams were generally good enough to finish from fourth to second in their Region, which would put them on the road for the first round of the state playoffs against one of the private schools here in Atlanta, the result of which was always guaranteed to be a beat down. I appreciated the coaches that took their foot off the gas as soon as they built a comfortable lead in those games, because the couple of times that teams kept running the score up in the second half were just miserable experiences.
When I was in high school in the '90s I was in a district that for some reason years and years ago used to be in the same high school sports conference as the northern suburbs major private schools. There were a couple of those private schools that didn't put much priority on sports but there were also a couple of the schools that were absolute powerhouses in just about every sport, male and female, and had nationally ranked athletes coming out of them every. single. year. No matter what the sport, if one of our teams made the playoffs we would end up getting smoked. A few years after I graduated the Metro Detroit area made up all new conferences and now the high school I went to plays against more similarly classed schools if we make the playoffs and we still consistently lose, just not by as wide of margins. Maybe we were better off losing to those awesome teams so we could say, "We lost to the best!"

AG74683

Cyburbian
At what point does it become pretentious to list all your certifications on an email? This dude has freaking 8 of them listed after his name. That seems like too much.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
At what point does it become pretentious to list all your certifications on an email? This dude has freaking 8 of them listed after his name. That seems like too much.
Are you talking about the guy that asked the question on the list-serve about compensation for certifications?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Just saw an old clip from the Flintstones. It occurs to me that Barney and Fred's full/formal names are in fact Bernard Rubble and Frederick Flintstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.