• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 14 (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Not being able to sleep is not an enjoyable thing. I wish it was just insomnia, but I have a sleep study, blood work, and a few other tests being done between now and the end of the year.
Well, scratch part of that... insurance does not want to cover the sleep study.

I guess the idea of "Affordable Health Care" is just some crap that politicians forced to screw over America.

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
I stayed home sick yesterday. We had to fly someone out around 5 pm yesterday evening. I guess he had been missing since Sunday, and was discovered trapped in his truck off the side of a road down a steep embankment. I guess he had most likely been stuck there since Sunday evening. Wasn't banged up too bad, but he is like 79 so that's not gonna be good. I helped load him in the helicopter.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
All my hard work towards cultivating a positive relationship with my HUD rep is starting to pay off. She approved not one, but two NEPA reviews in record time for me this past week and sent me a sweet email saying that our projects are really promising.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
First meeting with our new mayor was last night and it was tragic.
In my 36 years of doing this, I've never seen anything like that.
meme_collar tug.jpg

Edit: Is this a strong Mayor or a Council/City Manager setup? That's important to know for your 'well-being'.

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Tragedy is such sweet sorrow... err something like that.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Are they a NIMBY Karen? If so, I want video!

Wife is looking to get a new ride and the sales people keep pushing a used 2019... according to KBB, the value of the 2019 is between $23,517 and $26,252 and they are asking closer to the upper end of that range. He does not understand why we would want a 2018 ($21,053 - $23,580) or a 2017 ($17,216 - $19,491)...

Planit

Cyburbian
No NIMBY Karen
Not televised but someone has posted facebook video of portions
Council/Manager

2 examples:
Called for a vote on the same issue three times (it had already been voted & approved)
Couldn't follow the script the CM put together for him

AG74683

Cyburbian
No NIMBY Karen
Council/Manager

2 examples:
Called for a vote on the same issue three times (it had already been voted & approved)
Oh that's not so bad. Our new mayor here tried to film the town police as they brought in some young kid who was shot in the back 15 times because she wanted to have some way of getting them fired because of racism, or something like that. Her husband knocked something over at a gas station on the county line and he harassed the clerk about it by saying "DO YOU KNOW WHO MY WIFE IS?!".

The town board will literally not interact with her at all because she has managed to piss them all off. Any initiative she wants to pursue, they vote against. Anything she's against, they vote for.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Once again a subdivision is proposed and the outcry is that "the schools will be overwhelmed."

But they won't. We have an aging population and are shoveling against the demographic tide at this point. New development today means the schools we built 20 years ago that we are still paying for will remain fuller and more relevant... ...for a little while longer.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
I'm trying to be nice here. There was a totally lack of even minimal understanding of what was going on.
All evening I switched from cringing to laughing, to crying, to facepalm, to gasping, etc.
One person noted that these meetings are going to be better comedy than community theater.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We haven't been random since 2:10 EST yesterday. That is WAY too long.

I have a sharpie on my desk.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I've been developing a habit of getting a medium soda and a sausage mcmuffin with egg from McD's in the morning on my way from home to the office.

It's yummy, so...

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been developing a habit of getting a medium soda and a sausage mcmuffin with egg from McD's in the morning on my way from home to the office.

It's yummy, so...
Tim Horton's breakfast sandwich and an orange juice here

hubby has our checking account live online so usually around 10 AM, I get a "Tim Horton's again?" email

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
No NIMBY Karen
Council/Manager

2 examples:
New Guy nerves? (he said hopefully)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Where did you say you were from, again? Say it right. Say it loud. Say it proud.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Where did you say you were from, again? Say it right. Say it loud. Say it proud.
Michigan.

But I have lived outside of MI for almost an equal time than I lived in state. Spending many years in Chicagoland and now OH, soda it is.

The great variability of a language's dialects is what makes our part of humanity so great.

Tim Horton's breakfast sandwich and an orange juice here

hubby has our checking account live online so usually around 10 AM, I get a "Tim Horton's again?" email
That shows you're too close to Canada. Aren't you essentially in Canada, just with 'ayups' instead of 'ayes'? :)

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Babysitting.

That's what my job feels like this week. Babysitting developers who won't keep development sites clean. Babysitting employees who aren't following time-off request procedures. I'm becoming the lynch pin between angry neighbors and sloppy developers, municipal managers and employees who won't just, y'know show up on time and/or get time off scheduled ahead so I don't look clueless when my boss comes over wondering where XXX is???

Seriously sometimes this job feels like it's about 5% actual planning.

Matt

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Michigan.
But I have lived outside of MI for almost an equal time than I lived in state. Spending many years in Chicagoland and now OH, soda it is.
In that case....

You are hereby awarded an honorary doctorate from THE Ohio State University. Congratulations. You earned it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Man, when you don't come to the office for a week there's a lot of work that piles up! I managed to triage and get most of it done yesterday but I'm out of here after noon today until next Wednesday so it's going to pile up again. Maybe next December I'll cut my 5-day-weekends down to 4 day weekends? :cool:

(FWIW, the amount of time off we can take in December is one of the biggest perks of working here)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
In that case....

You are hereby awarded an honorary doctorate from THE Ohio State University. Congratulations. You earned it.
Man, I only have a Master's from Ohio State.... soda, soda, soda.... ;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Man, I only have a Master's from Ohio State.... soda, soda, soda.... ;)
It's honorary. Don't get too excited.

Wait a minute...did you just say Ohio State, as opposed to THE Ohio State University? I guess it's only fitting we should award you with an honorary doctorate from the University of Michigan. Spare us your excuses about how that's 'just shorthand' and that 'everyone says it that way'

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
It's honorary. Don't get too excited.

Wait a minute...did you just say Ohio State, as opposed to THE Ohio State University? I guess it's only fitting we should award you with an honorary doctorate from the University of Michigan. Spare us your excuses about how that's 'just shorthand' and that 'everyone says it that way'
Contrary to popular belief, I like the University of Michigan. I dislike their football team one week or so out of the year, but generally enjoy Ann Arbor and the University. :shrug:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Actually I am still 2 hours from the Canadian border - Maine is a very big state
In that case, I'm only technically ~50 miles (as the canada goose flies) from the US/CAD border in the middle of Lake Erie.

But, alas, no Tim Hortons in my immediate area, though there are some in the greater Metro.

Contrary to popular belief, I like the University of Michigan. I dislike their football team one week or so out of the year, but generally enjoy Ann Arbor and the University. :shrug:
Dittos for me. I like OSU and Columbus alot.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
omg I hate pajama day at my kids' schools

I can barely do dress down Friday at work!
I'd kill to have 'bathrobe, slippers, and unshaved stubble day' at work. I'd settle for 'sweats and black concert tee shirt day, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.