• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 14 (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVD

Cyburbian
You ever notice women's shoes seem to fall off. Walk buy a ladies cube and notice the shoes just fell off her feet.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have this annoying RV park that wants to nitpick our codes. They keep trying to get us to prevent some sort of knee walls, but I've told them repeatedly we aren't going to do it because it just doesn't matter. The ordinance can be read any number of ways, and I'm reading it in the way that benefits the property owner (which is how it SHOULD be read). But they think otherwise.

Okay, if you want to nitpick, I'll go down that road. We allow a litany of items the ordinance really doesn't specify, guess I'll be ending that process now. I plan on letting people who get affected by the change know that the Park Manager forced us to do it....

Last edited:

Big Owl

Cyburbian
My lord, people - THROW YOUR JUNK AWAY! Or sell it, or gift it, or SOMETHING. Donate it to Flea MArket Flip, for crying out loud! Make these damn self-storage places stop coming to my office!!!! They are the death of lively cities I tell you. MAKE IT STOP!

We have one under construction, one in the pre-permitting process, and 5 operational. It's crazy.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We have one under construction, one in the pre-permitting process, and 5 operational. It's crazy.
We're contemplating prohbiting the land use as a principal use in the coming year as we're looking to reevaluate the community 'benefit' of some industrial land uses due to recent cases that resulted in nothing but excessive procedural cost (in dollars and public goodwill) with no revenue benefit to the community.

aka: they take up lots of land and generate very little tax revenue per acre.

AG74683

Cyburbian
We're contemplating prohbiting the land use as a principal use in the coming year as we're looking to reevaluate the community 'benefit' of some industrial land uses due to recent cases that resulted in nothing but excessive procedural cost (in dollars and public goodwill) with no revenue benefit to the community.

aka: they take up lots of land and generate very little tax revenue per acre.

The only benefit I've seen from these things is that they have a knack for re-using dead space that would otherwise be left as derelict junk. We had an old Lowes Foods grocery store down the road from my parents house that had been vacant for at least 10 years. The building was starting to show significant wear, the parking lot was overgrown and filled with junk, lot lights were failing, and it was basically just being used for shady drug deals or other nefarious crap.

A storage company has bought the property and has completely fixed it up. Building has fresh paint and has received significant repairs. Parking lot is now outdoor mini units with a fence to prevent trash (both figurative and literal) from clogging things up, the lights have been fixed. Yeah, it might not be the best use in the world, but it's a hell of a lot better than the eyesore it used to be.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Back in the office after 5 days off...

My daughter's 4th grade class and a class of 5th graders walked to the local old folks home yesterday afternoon to put on a holiday concert. They picked 19 songs :oops: to sing with about a good mix of Chanukah and Christmas songs and of course some generic wintery songs like Let It Snow and Frosty the Snowman. Luckily they only sang the first verse or two from most songs or else we'd probably still be sitting there.

I did have to question the order they decided to put the songs in when they sang Silent Night then some very somber and solemn Chanukah song followed immediately by Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer complete with comic interjections.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The only benefit I've seen from these things is that they have a knack for re-using dead space that would otherwise be left as derelict junk. We had an old Lowes Foods grocery store down the road from my parents house that had been vacant for at least 10 years. The building was starting to show significant wear, the parking lot was overgrown and filled with junk, lot lights were failing, and it was basically just being used for shady drug deals or other nefarious crap.

A storage company has bought the property and has completely fixed it up. Building has fresh paint and has received significant repairs. Parking lot is now outdoor mini units with a fence to prevent trash (both figurative and literal) from clogging things up, the lights have been fixed. Yeah, it might not be the best use in the world, but it's a hell of a lot better than the eyesore it used to be.
I hear you, but we're not in such a position. We have the potential for self-storage uses occupying 'good' land that could be better used for manufacturing jobs (aka local income tax here in OH).

The other uses we're concerned about are large outdoor bulk material handling uses that just create alot of actual and perceived external impacts and have, like, 10 employees for 100 acres of land. And these types of land uses don't need to be in our City as they can easily go on much larger parcels...outside the City.

We have a defunct Super Kmart in our City that is a real perceived drag, but we would never contemplate permitting the property (around 11.5 acres) be redeveloped for storage units.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I miss my kids' grammer school winter concert as the jazz band director guy was crazy but cool and we always said: it's not Christmas until you hear "Low Rider" - it's pretty awesome that they do that song (they also play "On Broadway" as their march in, which is also awesome.)

AG74683

Cyburbian
I hear you, but we're not in such a position. We have the potential for self-storage uses occupying 'good' land that could be better used for manufacturing jobs (aka local income tax here in OH).

Oh yeah, definitely. Every place is different. It'd be nice if there was a way to force them towards those underutilized buildings.

I've officially decided to wage war against this stupid RV Park Manager. If this is the hill he chooses to die on, I will see to it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
There is a live interview with a reporter on TV happening mere feet in front of you (in Hi-DEF!) and you decide to make a WP hand gesture. And you leave that WP hand gesture visible to millions of eyeballs watching at home and in bars and on military bases across the country and around the world only until a gloved hand has the good sense to obscure your racist gesture? And you, smiling Army cadet, you think you are getting off Scot-free? Yes, son, we clearly saw you too.

No excuse for what those cadets did. Still, a big :finger:to the folks at 4chan who ruined the OK hand symbol, and started the mess that turned it into a hate symbol. How many numbers are now hate symbols today? 100% means "100% white", 12, 13, 14, and 18 all represent the Aryan Brotherhood in some way, 88 means "Heil Hitler" ... where will it end? My money is on the "OK" emoji disappearing from phone keyboards in 2021, and the "100%" emoji going away shortly after.

What's sad is that it's easier to turn a symbol into something that represents hatred, than the other way around. I don't think we'll see Valentine's Day cards with swastikas on them for a long, long time.

swastika_card.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I made dirty rice (really!) for dinner last night. Go ahead, ursus, and make that post that incorporates both the terms 'dirty rice' and 'philatelist'. We know you want to.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

Not to mention the wasted potential of public infrastructure by their sites.

There's one town in the county that has a reputation as a dumping ground for mini-storage facilities. They have a surplus of commercial zoning which allows the use. They also have no design regulations, so the resulting mini-storage facilities are often just compounds of basic metal structures surrounded by gravel or dirt drives, and maybe chain link fencing.

dryden_mini_storage.jpg

For what it's worth, the majority of commercial structures in that community are pre-engineered metal buildings.

dryden_metal_office_building.jpg

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
The Dirty, Dirty Rice....

In the gas light kitchen, midnight tryst,
with sticky-fingers, philatelists
windows covered in steam, covered in mist
and dirty, dirty rice.

In the library parking lot, under trees in the dark
hands under our shirts, over our hearts,
it's a black universe but it loves a spark
and dirty, dirty rice.

-ursus

I immediately thought of this scene when I saw your post

View attachment 47270

That's EXACTLY how it feels. :) I always spritz my big black coat with a little cologne just in case I have a seat partner. (thanks to KMS for making me care about how my coat smells, all those year ago. It's made me a better person!)

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I know it shouldn't matter, but when I'm on a crowded train in the morning and people have to choose to sit by somebody.....I'm always flattered when they choose me. I HAVE BEEN CHOSEN!!!!!

I can't help but think of this....

1576599402727.png

What other options did the person have? I personally have a difficult time picking which seat to choose if I don't have a empty row and I chose not to stand. My go to pick is an empty asile seat with an elderly lady that doesn't appear to speak English seating at the window because I'd rather not be bothered with a conversation. But if you get that wrong and they do speak english, it doesn't work out as well.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I know it shouldn't matter, but when I'm on a crowded train in the morning and people have to choose to sit by somebody.....I'm always flattered when they choose me. I HAVE BEEN CHOSEN!!!!!
awsome_squee_meme.jpg

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
God Bless You, Dawn Gutknecht....

So, thinking about acceptance and rejection today....because the bus.....and I remembered Dawn Gutknecht. There's nothing more terrifying than the 7th grade after-school dance you were not allowed to skip. The fear of rejection that I felt at that dance was almost seizure-inducing. I still can't believe that I walked across that floor and actually took the risk that somebody would say "no"....but you didn't Dawn. You said yes you would dance with me, and so life kept going, and I was even a little emboldened that it wouldn't suck. You also had that awesome heart sticker on your glasses, which was memorable.

It probably wasn't a big deal to you, but from the chubby, blonde, awkward kid who played the oboe in your band class, Thank You.

"Who's Gonna Drive You Home". Awwwww yeah. :)

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Dirty, Dirty Rice....

In the gas light kitchen, midnight tryst,
with sticky-fingers, philatelists
windows covered in steam, covered in mist
and dirty, dirty rice.

In the library parking lot, under trees in the dark
hands under our shirts, over our hearts,
it's a black universe but it loves a spark
and dirty, dirty rice.

-ursus

did anyone hear this song in their head when they read this poem?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Quiet is the office during lunchtime on the 17th of December.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
[soothing robot voice]I will determine the correct temperature setting for weekday evenings. Thank you.....arcplans.[/soothing robot voice]
It actually said will start to warm up the house at 3:30. It's about the time my daughter gets home. WTF?

kms

Cyburbian
That's EXACTLY how it feels. :) I always spritz my big black coat with a little cologne just in case I have a seat partner. (thanks to KMS for making me care about how my coat smells, all those year ago. It's made me a better person!)
Thanks for the reminder. The holiday break is the best time to launder your coats. You can start 2020 with a fresh smelling coat. Do your family, friends and coworkers a favor.

I have this annoying RV park that wants to nitpick our codes. They keep trying to get us to prevent some sort of knee walls, but I've told them repeatedly we aren't going to do it because it just doesn't matter. The ordinance can be read any number of ways, and I'm reading it in the way that benefits the property owner (which is how it SHOULD be read). But they think otherwise.

Okay, if you want to nitpick, I'll go down that road. We allow a litany of items the ordinance really doesn't specify, guess I'll be ending that process now. I plan on letting people who get affected by the change know that the Park Manager forced us to do it....
Someone nit-picked my inspection reports during an enforcement conference and said what I wrote was too general. I smiled sweetly and offered to be more specific in the future. His attorney dove onto the table toward him and exclaimed to him “YOU DON’T WANT THAT!”

AG74683

Cyburbian
Someone nit-picked my inspection reports during an enforcement conference and said what I wrote was too general. I smiled sweetly and offered to be more specific in the future. His attorney dove onto the table toward him and exclaimed to him “YOU DON’T WANT THAT!”

There's a lot of things we allow them to do there that really shouldn't be allowed. It's minor, but if I were to simply stop allowing it and tell aggrieved property owners that the Park Manager forced our hand on it, he'd be toast. Instead I just sent him the most strongly worded email I possibly could. Basically I told him, through the use of exaggerated bold underlined print, how we are interpreting this. That was followed up by "this decision is final and binding, if you wish to appeal, blah blah blah". I think he quickly got the point.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Not to mention the wasted potential of public infrastructure by their sites.

There's one town in the county that has a reputation as a dumping ground for mini-storage facilities. They have a surplus of commercial zoning which allows the use. They also have no design regulations, so the resulting mini-storage facilities are often just compounds of basic metal structures surrounded by gravel or dirt drives, and maybe chain link fencing.

For what it's worth, the majority of commercial structures in that community are pre-engineered metal buildings.

Self-storage serves a real need for people though. Military families are a big user as they often need to store many of their belongings when sent elsewhere. Or when someone is building a new house and they have to live in an apartment and need to stash all their stuff somewhere. Yes, we all have too much crap but there are legitimate reasons for them. As with anything, design plays a huge part. And I agree that in certain areas you should prohibit them because you want something different, particularly when public infrastructure has been improved to encourage development.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
For the first time in many years, I didn't win at least a dollar on the scratch off lottery ticket my boss puts in the Christmas cards he hands out. :(

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Self-storage serves a real need for people though. Military families are a big user as they often need to store many of their belongings when sent elsewhere. Or when someone is building a new house and they have to live in an apartment and need to stash all their stuff somewhere. Yes, we all have too much crap but there are legitimate reasons for them. As with anything, design plays a huge part. And I agree that in certain areas you should prohibit them because you want something different, particularly when public infrastructure has been improved to encourage development.
I echo this. I finally have to get a mini storage to store my mom's stuff because I actually want to park my vehicles in the garage where they belong.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Granted for sure, but I have determined that 'we have enough' now in our City. And, really, someone could just build a facility in one of the adjacent unincorporated townships next to our City and still hit the same market.

My city is only ~27,000 pop and 12 sqmi in area.

Last edited:

DVD

Cyburbian
So we don't allow plats without a site plan and this particular site plan needs a traffic study. To make it worse they're proposing a landlocked parcel with an access easement so we definitely need a site plan to show the big picture. Naturally they ask if there is a way to skip the site plan requirement because all they're doing is splitting land so they can acquire it. :mad:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
SIt probably wasn't a big deal to you, but from the chubby, blonde, awkward kid who played the oboe in your band class, Thank You.

Slow clap.

I was a socially awkward kid. (That awkwardness lasted deep into adulthood.). It took me weeks to work up the courage to ask out a girl in a gate for the first time. Maria turned me down. She tried to be nice about it, but it still destroyed what little self-confidence I had.

I felt like every girl was out of my league. It took me two more years to get enough courage to ask out another girl. She said “yes”. We went to Darien Lake, a large amusement park in the area. She held my hand. I was floating on a cloud that entire summer. However, she wouldn’t let me kiss her, and she broke up with me with I pressed the issue. I found out a couple of years later that she became very casual about hooking up with other guys. Why did I get the “prude” Lynn, and the guys that came after me got the “sexually empowered” Lynn?

I was the master of bad timing with another budding relationship in college. She left after the spring semester as a strong potential girlfriend. She came back in the fall as ... uhh, really kind of butch, and liking women a lot more than men.

Anyhow, I’m now happily married to a smart, kind, attractive woman, and the love is mutual. I probably would have been too shy to approach if I knew her in high school. She's out of my league, but timing was right this time. :)

And now, here’s Ken.

I echo this. I finally have to get a mini storage to store my mom's stuff because I actually want to park my vehicles in the garage where they belong.

My wife rented a storage unit before we bought out house. We each got rid of a lot of stuff when we merged households. Our house doesn’t have a basement — unusual for upstate New York, but not that uncommon here — so space is at a bit of a premium. We can’t hold onto shit that we don’t use or need.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well since my war against the RV park ended before it really began, I think I'll start moving towards the solar farm companies. I swear, these people are absolutely incapable of putting together an application package themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.