• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

AG74683

Cyburbian
Rush is one of my fondest concert memories. This is pretty sad news. Neil was easily one of the best drummers of all time.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I totally just picked up this bad boy on eBay.. now I am bidding for a reto lunchbox. I may have a problem.
View attachment 47767
That's gorgeous! It's weird how the price of retro audiophile equipment has plunged, but old ghetto blasters are getting pricey. Panasonic electronics from the 1980s are bulletproof.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Rush is one of my fondest concert memories. This is pretty sad news. Neil was easily one of the best drummers of all time.
I never saw them live (I don't go to many concerts). Rush is one of my favorite bands but I mostly listened to the music and knew very little about the band members. I watched RUSH: Beyond the Lighted Stage on Netflix last night.... recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the band.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My health insurance website leaves a great deal to be desired.

watching probably the greatest first half comeback in NFL playoff history as it happens. Still switching to This Old House Hour when it comes on in ~15 minutes

kms

Cyburbian
I’m having a Facebook debate with a Facebook stranger named Karen. She thinks it’s ok to litter if there are seeds impregnated in a paper coffee cup. I disagree. Oh, Karen.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I swear I go to Disney and you all put 5 pages on the RTDNTOTO. I have a lot to catch up on.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I never saw them live (I don't go to many concerts). Rush is one of my favorite bands but I mostly listened to the music and knew very little about the band members. I watched RUSH: Beyond the Lighted Stage on Netflix last night.... recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the band.
I saw them on their R30 Tour in Charlotte on May 28th, 2004. It was the 30th anniversary tour after the bands "definitive" formation after Neil Peart replaced the original drummer. It was also the tour based around the cover EP they came out with called Feedback. It was a fantastic concert. I was 16, and we were definitely some of the youngest people there.

I've seen some good ones in concert, including AC/DC, The Pixies, and Weezer. I'm not a big concert guy though.

I'm thinking about buying a turntable and starting to get back into vinyl. Any recommendations? I'm also toying with the idea of getting a motorcycle, but that idea might be bad.

Planit

Cyburbian
I smashed my finger in the door late yesterday, right on the top knuckle. It still freaking hurts.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Home Depot for the win!

Had to build some quick replacement steps for my deck and the pre-cut stair stringers and treads made it real easy.

I know I spent probably about 50% more than if I had bought bulk materials, but my time and extreme inexperience with real carpentry was worth the extra cost.

Last edited:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I’m having a Facebook debate with a Facebook stranger named Karen. She thinks it’s ok to litter if there are seeds impregnated in a paper coffee cup. I disagree. Oh, Karen.
I'd never heard of that. Pretty cool idea actually. But yeah, you can't just throw them anywhere. Some people . . . . . :r:

Reactions: kms

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'd never heard of that. Pretty cool idea actually. But yeah, you can't just throw them anywhere. Some people . . . . . :r:
In second grade we went on a field trip to the local nature center. The class took a short hike along a forest trail and stopped to eat a snack. I finished my apple and asked the teacher where I could dispose of it as there were no waste receptacles around. The teacher took the apple from me and tossed it into the woods. I remember being mortified by this flagrant act of littering! I don't believe we had covered the concepts of propagation or biodegradability yet.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
an abutter just came in to look at a plan and he asked me to email him the plan and his email address was aol - I almost started to laugh and say "gees, you don't look over 70 years old!"

I can't believe that's still a thing

estromberg

Cyburbian
I hate when the permit tech accepts incomplete applications. We just end up being a filing cabinet for peoples crap while they waste months getting the rest of the required information. So now I have a giant roll of house plans (which I also despise, it's 2020, if you cannot get us .pdf copies of plans, you need to rethink your career) without 99% of the other outstanding information. That will sit here for at least a month before they have everything in. Even worse, it'll take them another 3 months to come pick up the damn plans. I'll be throwing them away a week after the permit is issued from now on.
In my fair state's document retention requirements, building plans cannot be thrown away. Which makes for some challenging storage considerations. It is also one of the reasons that building plans are not required for residential construction.

Careful, she'll ask to speak to your manager if you don't watch yourself.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
an abutter just came in to look at a plan and he asked me to email him the plan and his email address was aol - I almost started to laugh and say "gees, you don't look over 70 years old!"

I still use a Prodigy email account. (insert embarrassed emoji)

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

My folks still use AOL, but they are pushing 80 too. I remember getting those stupid AOL disk in the mail. Personally, I use Yahoo.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
You are the 5th family I know that was at Disney last week
Well that means you know 5 happy families? We went without kids, so that was something I would strongly suggest to anyone.... ;)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Home depot for the win!

Had to build some quick replacement steps for my deck and the pre-cut stair stringers and treads made it real easy.

I know I probably spent probably about 50% more than if I had bought bulk materials, but my time and extreme inexperience with real carpentry was worth the extra cost.
Our back door steps are wood and they just weren't build right. Still serviceable but whoever put them together knew nothing about carpentry. For instance, instead of capping the riser with the tread, the riser goes all the way up to form part of the tread. I wince every time I notice it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Our back door steps are wood and they just weren't build right. Still serviceable but whoever put them together knew nothing about carpentry. For instance, instead of capping the riser with the tread, the riser goes all the way up to form part of the tread. I wince every time I notice it.
Why would outdoor steps need a riser? I didn't put any on mine.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Eh. In my opinion vinyl is overrated. I do like having media; I mostly get my music as CDs.
I agree. You, I and few of the older Cyburbians remember when you had vinyl, cassette or 8 track and that was it. Vinyl got scratched, warped, or wore out. CDs and later digital is a vast improvement over vinyl. While I have cds, I primarily use digital.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I agree. You, I and few of the older Cyburbians remember when you had vinyl, cassette or 8 track and that was it. Vinyl got scratched, warped, or wore out. CDs and later digital is a vast improvement over vinyl. While I have cds, I primarily use digital.
Each technology had its own peculiar annoying quirks. Vinyl, as you note, scratched easily and could warp, cassettes had mediocre sound quality and were constantly jamming/breaking with regular use, 8 tracks not only had mediocre sound but also had that annoying thing where they would keep playing and playing and playing and playing in cycle.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Each technology had its own peculiar annoying quirks. Vinyl, as you note, scratched easily and could warp, cassettes had mediocre sound quality and were constantly jamming/breaking with regular use, 8 tracks not only had mediocre sound but also had that annoying thing where they would keep playing and playing and playing and playing in cycle.
You are right cassettes with the mediocre sound quality. Plus, if you wanted to repeat a song, it was a massive pain finding it and getting back to the beginning.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I'm thinking about buying a turntable and starting to get back into vinyl. Any recommendations?
My gf got me some starter turntable that you could connect via bluetooth. It sounded horrible on the bluetooth speaker. I finally connected it properly to a new bluetooth enabled wireless sound system (used L/R RCA to digital optical converted). It sounded awesome on the sound system.

If you want the best of both worlds, go this route.

AG74683

Cyburbian
My gf got me some starter turntable that you could connect via bluetooth. It sounded horrible on the bluetooth speaker. I finally connected it properly to a new bluetooth enabled wireless sound system (used L/R RCA to digital optical converted). It sounded awesome on the sound system.

If you want the best of both worlds, go this route.
I was probably going to go with an Audio Technica bluetooth capable one. I'll be direct connecting it via RCA to my audio receiver, but having the Bluetooth capability will be nice for when I need it.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Why would outdoor steps need a riser?
They don't, but they were built that way anyway.

I should post a picture of them. The saving grace is that they are built out of 2x4s so they're pretty stout, even being built wrong and all.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I don't really care about the drama with Prince Harry and Megan Markle but I was listening to something in a podcast that said they live in a house called "Frogmore Cottage" and that sent me down a Wikipedia rabbit hole. Before living at Frogmore Cottage they lived at Nottingham Cottage which is on the grounds of Kensington Palace which is where Prince William and his family live. But not only do he and his wife and kids live there, so does Princess Eugenie and her husband, Prince Richard and his wife (the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester), Prince Edward and his wife (the Duke and Duchess of Kent), and Prince Michael and his wife Princess Michael of Kent.

No matter how big the house, I don't think I'd want to live with that many members of my extended family.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My guess is that's it's set up as separate apartments so they only see each other occasionally when getting their mail.
I'm sure that's true and other than Princess Eugenie and her husband, the rest of those folks are relatively old so maybe everybody is traveling or has other unofficial residences, but I still wouldn't really want that set-up.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Nottingham Cottage which is on the grounds of Kensington Palace which is where Prince William and his family live. But not only do he and his wife and kids live there, so does Princess Eugenie and her husband, Prince Richard and his wife (the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester), Prince Edward and his wife (the Duke and Duchess of Kent), and Prince Michael and his wife Princess Michael of Kent.

No matter how big the house, I don't think I'd want to live with that many members of my extended family.
Nottingham Cottage is just that, a small cottage. Like really small, 2 bedrooms and a single bathroom. It's a house on the grounds of Kensington Palace. Frogmore isn't much bigger. It's a small cottage on the grounds of Frogmore House.

DVD

Cyburbian
Stop calling me. I need to eat my lunch and go work the counter. I plan on doing a dance that will bring all the ladies to the yard.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Stop calling me. I need to eat my lunch and go work the counter. I plan on doing a dance that will bring all the ladies to the yard.
Do you even have a milkshake?

Planit

Cyburbian
I gave my colleague a couple of draft ordinances to review & said "get you red pen out and bleed on it" to which he smiled.