• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It's not one of these.
Off-topic - wish I had a Fluke. I have a nice Klein real RMS multimeter for household stuff. It's overkill, but I don;t want to get fried by using some generic meter.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Off-topic - wish I had a Fluke. I have a nice Klein real RMS multimeter for household stuff. It's overkill, but I don;t want to get fried by using some generic meter.
I've had a $10 Sears voltmeter for about 30 years that does whatever I ask of it. A couple years ago I bought a plug tester and non-contact voltage tester when we had the house rewired. I got the cheapest ones Lowes had.

If I were an electrician I might invest in something better but I'm a firm believer in not overpaying for tools.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Ugh. We have a neighbor that about 2-3 times a year has a party. That's fine, it's good to connect with friends, family, whatever.

The thing is, his idea of mood music is Tejano polkas getting blasted out of a very high-end stereo in his truck that projects bass very, very well. It's been rattling my teeth for the last few hours.

The local noise ordinance goes to "night time" levels at 10 pm. So at 10 I walked over to his yard and asked him to turn it down or I would call the cops. He turned it down.

I think he's basically a decent guy.... every time I ask him to turn down the music, he does.

Good night.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Another measure of how bad it has gotten -

Peeps pauses holiday treats production until 2021
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(My wife and I had Peeps ducks as our wedding cake topper.)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Ugh. We have a neighbor that about 2-3 times a year has a party. That's fine, it's good to connect with friends, family, whatever.

The thing is, his idea of mood music is Tejano polkas getting blasted out of a very high-end stereo in his truck that projects bass very, very well. It's been rattling my teeth for the last few hours.

The local noise ordinance goes to "night time" levels at 10 pm. So at 10 I walked over to his yard and asked him to turn it down or I would call the cops. He turned it down.

I think he's basically a decent guy.... every time I ask him to turn down the music, he does.

Good night.
A) I actually like that Tejano polka music (I had a roommate in the Marines who got me into it)

But more importantly this begsthe question of B) What is your preferred choice of background "mood music" for a party? (Not counting a holiday party)

For outdoor BBQs or just sitting around, I usually turn on a mix that is primarily quieter rock (I don't want to say "soft rock") like Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Ryan Adams, and stuff from the first few Grateful Dead studio albums. Then I'll mix in some hits from CCR, Steely Dan, George Harrison, CS&N, Doobie Brothers. I think the key though is to keep the music just barely loud enough that you can hear it but not so loud that it disrupts any conversations or that you have to raise your voice above normal conversation levels.

When we're indoors for a party I might keep the Steely Dan and Doobie Brothers but the rest of the playlists are usually more R&B, soul, or jazz like Dave Brubeck, Grant Green, Allen Toussaint, some MoTown hits, Shuggie Ottis. Again, keep it quiet though!

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have determined that, while driving the truck is fun, I'd much rather be in the back helping patients. Just another push to get to paramedic.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How to kill a WECS project - some proposed ordinance requires
  • a 2 mile buffer from schools, hospitals, incorporated town & clearly defined unincorporated town.
  • .6 mile shadow flicker mitigation plan for residences
  • 4 X the height property setback

DVD

Cyburbian
Must be when that jerk from the Board of Commissioners keeps scheduling meetings between 3:30 and 4:30?
Not funny, my last job had the occasional meeting at 3 or 4 and I just knew I wouldn't get out on time and it would be 5:15 or 5:30 when I left.

It's Employee Appreciation Week!

City Hall employees are welcome to walk three blocks down to the Main Fire Station for a free (wait for it) snow cone Wednesday between 4 and 5 pm.

Last I checked that is ice and sugar water.

I won't be able to sleep tomorrow night.
But National Ice Cone Day is not until Sept 22nd!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
B) What is your preferred choice of background "mood music" for a party?
Oh, I actually like Tejano fine. I'd much rather listen to that than, say, hip-hop. But considering the subwoofers the guy had on his truck, what I heard in my house sounded like hip-hop. The only noise that got through was the bass, and it was pretty strong.

I let it slide all evening, but when 10 pm rolled around (and the night time threshold for the noise ordinance kicked in), I'd had enough. We're three doors down and across the street; I'm sure his neighbors felt like their houses were gonna rattle off their foundations.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I listened to a Radiolab podcast yesterday where a man from Lebanon took a road trip around the U.S. to visit all of the towns named Lebanon and it was a really sweet story. I want to visit the saloon in Lebanon, South Dakota now. :cheers:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's Employee Appreciation Week!

City Hall employees are welcome to walk three blocks down to the Main Fire Station for a free (wait for it) snow cone Wednesday between 4 and 5 pm.

Last I checked that is ice and sugar water.

I won't be able to sleep tomorrow night.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I listened to a Radiolab podcast yesterday where a man from Lebanon took a road trip around the U.S. to visit all of the towns named Lebanon and it was a really sweet story. I want to visit the saloon in Lebanon, South Dakota now. :cheers:

There is this road trip -
This map shows how to take a road trip through every Springfield in America

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Wait. I'm gonna need to turn on the heat!?
Don't let them fool you -- you do not need to turn the heat on.

You won't need the A/C as much, which is a lovely break, you can open the windows again, and if you're a little chilly at night, throw a roast in the oven. You'll be good!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I listened to a Radiolab podcast yesterday where a man from Lebanon took a road trip around the U.S. to visit all of the towns named Lebanon and it was a really sweet story. I want to visit the saloon in Lebanon, South Dakota now.
I'm visiting the original Portland now. About 15 years ago, I visited the tribute Portland.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Interstate highway rest stops in most of the US - bathrooms, a dog walk, tourist information, and on toll roads, restaurants and gift shops.

Interstate highway rest stops in New Hampshire - giant liquor stores. No, not just off the Interstate. The liquor store is the rest area.

New Hampshire is weird.jpg

Got this photo from Flickr, but when my wife and I saw the sign and exit, we thought it was one of the most bizarre things we've seen on an Interstate. So, we pulled in, and ... yup, it's a rest stop with a huge parking lot, a liquor store, some bathrooms that really need a good scrubbing, and that's it. At least there's signage with dual units.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I have a cowlick that you would think I could get under control after 30+ years of effort. But you would be wrong.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Interstate highway rest stops in New Hampshire - giant liquor stores. No, not just off the Interstate. The liquor store is the rest area.
Correct (and a huge source of state revenue since all liquor stores in NH are owned by the state). The ones on I-95 are older. The newest ones on I-93 in Hooksett are actually pretty nice:
common-man-roadside.jpgnew-hampshire-state-liquor.jpgphoto0jpg.jpgphoto2jpg.jpgrestaurant-is-in-here.jpgrestaurant-is-in-here2.jpgthe-common-man-roadside.jpg