• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Way back when ('78-'79) I was a freshman at a small liberal arts college (since defunct) in southern Maine. We would make Thursday afternoon runs to the state store in NH for booze. 1) It was cheaper than in Maine and 2) The legal drinking age in NH was 18, while it was 21 in Maine. We had a friend with a massive Chevy Suburban and we would load that bad boy up, and turn a small profit from which we would purchase, um, uh, real estate. Yeah, that's it, real estate.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
[This is where my mind is...] Speaking of trucks, did I show y'all what showed up at my house last month? :wow:
Two first generation Chevrolet/GMC C/K series... Nice! Is the one on the trailer a 1 or 1.5 ton model? It's a 60-63, right? I can't see enough of the one in the background.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Two first generation Chevrolet/GMC C/K series... Nice! Is the one on the trailer a 1 or 1.5 ton model? It's a 60-63, right? I can't see enough of the one in the background.
Thanks. Good eye. In the back is a 1965 Chevy C-10 that's almost finished with it's makeover. So, of course, we needed to pick up the '64 GMC 3000 to have something to work on next. :roflmao: It's a 1 ton so there will be some differences but this update should be a lot faster than the first one. It's a matching numbers vehicle, with 63k original miles; we're the second owner!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I dated a girl for a few years whose mom lived in Providence, RI and her dad and younger sister lived in Portland, ME. When we would go out east to visit her family, her sister would always give us a list and ask us to stop at the rest area off of I-95 and buy her a bunch of booze that she could take back up to school at Fort Kent with her.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Thanks. Good eye. In the back is a 1965 Chevy C-10 that's almost finished with it's makeover. So, of course, we needed to pick up the '64 GMC 3000 to have something to work on next. :roflmao: It's a 1 ton so there will be some differences but this update should be a lot faster than the first one. It's a matching numbers vehicle, with 63k original miles; we're the second owner!
Are you going with a flat bed on the GMC? I got it backwards on the years. 64 was the first year without the wrap around windshield.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Interstate highway rest stops in most of the US - bathrooms, a dog walk, tourist information, and on toll roads, restaurants and gift shops.

Interstate highway rest stops in New Hampshire - giant liquor stores. No, not just off the Interstate. The liquor store is the rest area.

View attachment 49113

Got this photo from Flickr, but when my wife and I tdaw the sign and exit, we thought it was one of the most bizarre things we've seen on an Interstate. So, we pulled in, and ... yup, it's a rest stop with a huge parking lot, a liquor store, some bathrooms that really need a good scrubbing, and that's it. At least there's signage with dual units.
The ones on I-93 got a huge redo a couple years back and the formerly horrid restrooms were replaced with pretty nice ones. There's also actual food for sale now (beyond the vending machine "coffee" and beef jerky you used to be able to get. And yes, new gigantic liquor stores. reststop.jpg

Correct (and a huge source of state revenue since all liquor stores in NH are owned by the state). The ones on I-95 are older. The newest ones on I-93 in Hooksett are actually pretty nice:
View attachment 49119View attachment 49120View attachment 49121View attachment 49122View attachment 49123View attachment 49124View attachment 49125
Beat me to it!

You ever see someone's email and just decide I'm not dealing with that today without even reading the email?
I even have caller ID and sometimes... ...boy is it hard to pick up that phone.

Callers who I know have a hard time respecting my limits (like, I tell them I can talk for 10 minutes but then I have a meeting to go to...) roll to voicemail.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I order some items from Amazon. They are not the size I wanted and it was totally my mistake. I realized this and went on the site to set up the return. I had used a gift card and they credited my account the $25. But here's what I don't understand. I do not have to return the items!!!!! WTF???

kms

Cyburbian
I order some items from Amazon. They are not the size I wanted and it was totally my mistake. I realized this and went on the site to set up the return. I had used a gift card and they credited my account the $25. But here's what I don't understand. I do not have to return the items!!!!! WTF???
Can I have them? 😁

Its not worth the shipping and restocking them.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Why don’t more people know about Portland, Maine? If there was a definition for “underrated city” in the dictionary, there would be a picture of Portland next to it. I’m impressed; like, if I wasn’t married and a few months away from vesting, I’d seriously consider moving there.
Maine in general is underrated. As a family who has had the fortune to travel pretty extensively around the US, Maine is still one our favorite places. You get a little bit of whatever you want, isolation, forests, rich enclaves, great views, history...not to mention great food and lobster ;)

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why don’t more people know about Portland, Maine? If there was a definition for “underrated city” in the dictionary, there would be a picture of Portland next to it. I’m impressed; like, if I wasn’t married and a few months away from vesting, I’d seriously consider moving there.
Actually it has won a lot of national awards for great places to live - but yeah, I got sick of people saying "Portland" and just meaning Oregon without saying Oregon

It's like saying "the city" and everyone knows it's NYC - whatever

But yes Portland is a great city - I used to have to go there a lot for work when I was working in western Maine and I miss those trips - great restaurants, good neighborhoods - the prices though have pushed people out to Westbrook (which is hilarious, but good for Westbrook) and out further to Windham and Bridgton so as most cities go, they are a victim to their success and gentrification is rampant (but the coffee is excellent - I recommend Tandem and Bard for your coffee)

and Maine is going to see a influx of folks in this pandemic world escaping the city, already have anecdotally a lot of folks doing work-from-home at their second home here and they are planning to stay full time, and, also in a climate changing world as we will stay cool and water-replenished more than other parts of the country.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
We arrived in Portland, Maine yesterday. What a terrific little city! I’m impressed; like, if I wasn’t married and a few months away from vesting, I’d seriously consider moving there. Why don’t more people know about it?
Portland and Burlington, VT are easily my favorite Northern New England cities.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I'm trying to organize a going-away happy hour for a co-worker and it's looking like it'll be a Zoom event. :disappointed" Not-so-great air quality, plus our county is this close to being able to move down a notch on the Gavinator's rating system so our own Board told people yesterday to avoid gatherings, plus of the six people that responded to my survey about the HH, four of them want it to happen on Zoom. It's ok with me (don't have to dress up and go anywhere) but I haven't seen evidence that our group is capable of having a fun Zoom get-together, based on the sometimes excruciating staff meetings. :sleep: Maybe alcohol will help.

kms

Cyburbian
I'm trying to organize a going-away happy hour for a co-worker and it's looking like it'll be a Zoom event. :disappointed" Not-so-great air quality, plus our county is this close to being able to move down a notch on the Gavinator's rating system so our own Board told people yesterday to avoid gatherings, plus of the six people that responded to my survey about the HH, four of them want it to happen on Zoom. It's ok with me (don't have to dress up and go anywhere) but I haven't seen evidence that our group is capable of having a fun Zoom get-together, based on the sometimes excruciating staff meetings. :sleep: Maybe alcohol will help.
Alcohol helps. We've been having zoom staff meetings. One of our coworkers is charged to keeping staff engaged. She's had a different game every week. We've played Battleship, had versions of TV game shows and even had a game for a coworker who resigned. She asked for famous versions of people who have the same first names but with variable spellings. If you have time, you could try to have a few games.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Ever find yourself wanting to ask people impossibly huge questions like "what's it like to be a Jew in America" but know there's no easy way to answer in a meaningful way?

Reactions: Dan

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So there was a incident yesterday on my cul-de-sac. I am not going into details, but it was addressed and those who were at fault apologized and the situation was going to get corrected and things were going to be put in place to prevent it from happening again. A small group of us discussed it last night and we felt it was done.

however,

Thanks to the wonders of social media, another neighbor posted about it in a group text. That neighbor, nor anyone in their family was involved or even witnessed what happened. Well, it spread like wild fire and the number of people in the group text has more than tripled, the police are being contacted, child protective services are being contacted, and there is discussion of having the HOA require that these people be banished from the neighborhood.

I am refusing to participate in the conversation because their actions are only making the situation worse. I will address it directly with the family that is responsible, but that is between my family and their family.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Any clothes horses around here? I'm looking for recommendations for better-quality men's under shirts.

Ever find yourself wanting to ask people impossibly huge questions like "what's it like to be a Jew in America" but know there's no easy way to answer in a meaningful way?
You say that "there's no easy way" for a Jew in America "to answer in a meaningful way".
I know for a fact that some Jewish people would disagree with that conclusion, and also not think it's an "impossibly huge question".

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
My husband worked with a guy who was, as he called himself, "the classic New York Jew" - Long Island, the accent, the whole thing - he had a bad tempter which had nothing to do with being Jewish, but he was also the type of guy that you could ask that question to - we had some great conversations about his upbringing and the like. I can't repeat some of the stereotypes he would mock himself for because if they showed up on a google search, then I would be implicated somehow but this guy freely discussed all of it and could find humor in it - I don't miss his anger but I do miss how he made me laugh until I cried about stuff

I do think you have to be close friends with someone or the other person has to freely offer up their perspectives giving you an opening for a follow up

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
So there was a incident yesterday on my cul-de-sac. I am not going into details, but it was addressed and those who were at fault apologized and the situation was going to get corrected and things were going to be put in place to prevent it from happening again. A small group of us discussed it last night and we felt it was done.

however,

Thanks to the wonders of social media, another neighbor posted about it in a group text...
IME, nothing good ever comes of group texts. Whether they are from family, friends, or coworkers, I generally avoid the group texts that I get included on.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Savvy said:
you say that "there's no easy way" for a Jew in America "to answer in a meaningful way".
I know for a fact that some Jewish people would disagree with that conclusion, and also not think it's an "impossibly huge question".
My husband worked with a guy who was, as he called himself, "the classic New York Jew" - Long Island, the accent, the whole thing - he had a bad tempter which had nothing to do with being Jewish, but he was also the type of guy that you could ask that question to - we had some great conversations about his upbringing and the like. I can't repeat some of the stereotypes he would mock himself for because if they showed up on a google search, then I would be implicated somehow but this guy freely discussed all of it and could find humor in it - I don't miss his anger but I do miss how he made me laugh until I cried about stuff

I do think you have to be close friends with someone or the other person has to freely offer up their perspectives giving you an opening for a follow up
Okay, based on these responses maybe I will try to ask some individuals a huge spanning question like that.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just had a chocolate chip cookie from a local bakery that had a lot of ginger in the dough and yet the sign on it in the display clearly just said chocolate chip cookie with no mention of ginger - the cookie was good but the Elaine in me wants to know why that wasn't communicated to me

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I just had a chocolate chip cookie from a local bakery that had a lot of ginger in the dough and yet the sign on it in the display clearly just said chocolate chip cookie with no mention of ginger - the cookie was good but the Elaine in me wants to know why that wasn't communicated to me
Elaine? You need to go full-on Karen and speak to the manager immediately!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Any clothes horses around here? I'm looking for recommendations for better-quality men's under shirts.
I go with the tagless Hanes shirts. I replace my white undershirts about three times a year. I wear one every day I'm at work so they do get worn and stained fairly quickly. If you go to Walmart or Target sometimes they have the deals where you get 5 but the pack has 7 in them or something like that. As soon as they start to not look so crisp and white and the neck gets a bit stretched it's time to replace for me.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I go with the tagless Hanes shirts. <snip> As soon as they start to not look so crisp and white and the neck gets a bit stretched it's time to replace for me.
This is what I'm currently wearing, and my MO, too. I don't know why, but they don't seem to be holding up very well. I also don't really like the lightweight fabric any more.

Ready to try something different, heavier.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I live in the Deep South, polo shirts are perfectly acceptable office ware and don't need an undershirt. I have a couple of white, V-neck undershirts for those rare times I have to dress up.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Are you going with a flat bed on the GMC? I got it backwards on the years. 64 was the first year without the wrap around windshield.
Yes, since it's an all-original truck, we want to go with the flatbed and maybe add some side slats. I WISH we had a wrap around windshield (and a big back window).
I hope your local code enforcement staff are forgiving.

View attachment 49129
;)
Both trucks run! Truck #1 has been licensed for years and was my daily driver until we bought the new engine. Truck #2... well that's why it's backed in to the driveway. ;) Incidentally, our HOA only has rules on non-working vehicles. Since both of these run, we have no complaints from them. AND just today a neighbor stopped to chat with my husband mid- bike ride. He said he loops onto our street intentionally to see how far the truck (#1) has come.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Maine in general is underrated. As a family who has had the fortune to travel pretty extensively around the US, Maine is still one our favorite places. You get a little bit of whatever you want, isolation, forests, rich enclaves, great views, history...not to mention great food and lobster ;)
My wife and I were originally planning that our summer trip be to Maine. My uncle lives in Boston, and her aunt is in Vermont, so we figured we could make a nice northern east coast trip to visit them and have an experience different from the west coast environment.

I think you have to know the person pretty well to ask a huge question like that; I would certainly be caught off guard if someone random asked me that, but I have had meaningful discussions on backgrounds with those that I am closer to. That said, everyone's experience is different, so each one's observation on their backgrounds have a lot more nuance. My experience as a Jew in the US is certainly different than others, and even my mom would probably have a different answer.

I'm not a V neck guy. Maybe not a fashion plate but I like what I like and am comfortable with.
I like V necks for undershirts since it gives better flexibility to wear a tie, or to go tie-less and have the top button undone on my dress shirts.

This is what I'm currently wearing, and my MO, too. I don't know why, but they don't seem to be holding up very well. I also don't really like the lightweight fabric any more.

Ready to try something different, heavier.
I usually wear Hanes undershirts (and casual socks), but I feel like they have different lines of quality. Some shirts or socks I buy will hold up very well, and some will fall apart quickly. But since I don't buy those items very often, I know if I'll get the higher quality version.

DVD

Cyburbian
Snow cones are not that bad of a thing. My last job had a Dairy Queen and the county admin would take us over once a year for a blizzard. Better than a cone, but a cone is better than nothing.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I think you have to know the person pretty well to ask a huge question like that; I would certainly be caught off guard if someone random asked me that, but I have had meaningful discussions on backgrounds with those that I am closer to. That said, everyone's experience is different, so each one's observation on their backgrounds have a lot more nuance. My experience as a Jew in the US is certainly different than others, and even my mom would probably have a different answer.
My IRL last name sounds Jewish and I've had several awkward questions/conversations because of it. My family converted to Catholicism long ago. Personally, I'm Southern Baptist. Not everybody with a Jewish name or Jewish sounding name, is Jewish. Every family has it's own history,

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I have been trying to cut down on my sugar intake... but my morning coffee was suffering. So my sugar intake is going up. Thought you all should know.

kms

Cyburbian
"The party you are trying to reach does not accept unidentified calls."

1. I'm working from home and am not going to give you my private number.
2. No, you are not in a bad cell location. You don't take private calls.
3. The land line, which is your business number, doesn't accept private calls, and that to me seems to be a bad way of doing business.
4. Who are you hiding from?
5. Just send me an email with your questions. Which, by the way, you waited six months to respond to an inspection report with serious violations. I'm not going to be able to make this right between you and your client, and don't really want to hear about how your client did you wrong. I've heard it before.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
"The party you are trying to reach does not accept unidentified calls."

1. I'm working from home and am not going to give you my private number.
2. No, you are not in a bad cell location. You don't take private calls.
3. The land line, which is your business number, doesn't accept private calls, and that to me seems to be a bad way of doing business.
4. Who are you hiding from?
5. Just send me an email with your questions. Which, by the way, you waited six months to respond to an inspection report with serious violations. I'm not going to be able to make this right between you and your client, and don't really want to hear about how your client did you wrong. I've heard it before.
Oh snap!

:D

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Our HOA pays for a Kona Ice truck to come set up shop in front of one of the houses in the neighborhood once a summer and you can go up as many times as you want. We don't get an ice cream truck that rolls through so this is a nice alternative...

Well, until this past Friday! I was outside doing some yard work on Friday around 4:00 p.m. and I could hear the unmistakable sounds of an ice cream truck somewhere in the neighborhood. I stayed outside for a while and could hear the music fading in and out and while it never got particularly close, it never went away completely either. Close to 5:00, my oldest and I saw it pass through an intersection a couple blocks away. We thought it would loop around and come out right in front of our house. It never did though and about 10 minutes later it passed back through the intersection in the opposite direction. We could hear the music getting closer though and it seemed like the truck was passing along on the street behind ours so I put the youngest in the stroller and my daughters and I hoofed it around the block in the other direction to catch it head on.

Success!

I told the driver, Andrew, how excited we were that he had come through and that I once heard an ice cream truck a few weeks after we moved in, 12 years ago, but I didn't go out to meet it because I figured it was a regular occurance and it never appeared again. Andrew said he's trying to make the neighborhoods around ours a regular part of his rotation and will keep doing so until it gets too cold.

I wanted to leave him a tip (to help encourage him to come back) but I forgot in my excitement. Luckily, after we got home and I was in the back grilling, I finally saw him pass by right in front our house so I ran out to meet him again. I may or may not have gotten an extra Drumstick as well.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Progress Comparison Table

--------------_1000, _2000, _3000, _4000,_5000,_6000, 7000, 8000, 9,000, 10,000, 11,000, 12,000, Closing #
#15 - 2020 - 01-27, 03-10, 05-12, 07-23, 09-16,
#14 - 2019 - 02-12, 04-05, 05-24, 07-15, 08-30, 10-17, 12-05, 12-24, 12-31, 9,484
#13 - 2018 - 03-16, 05-31, 08-10, 11-05, 12-31, 5,115
#12 - 2017 - 02-28, 05-23, 08-24, 11-28, 12-29, 5,096
#11 - 2016 - 02-09, 03-23, 05-12, 07-01, 08-18, 10-12, 12-07, 12-31, 8,072
#10 - 2015 - 02-06, 04-06, 06-15, 08-14, 10-01, 11-29, 12-30, 12-31, 12-31, 9,570
# 9 -- 2014 - 01-31, 03-12, 05-21, 08-09, 10-21, 12-11, 12-30, 12-31, 12-31, 9,291
# 8 -- 2013 - 01-18, 02-12, 03-22, 04-22, 05-17, 06-20, 07-30, 09-16, 11-13, 12-19, 12-31, 12-31, 12,050
# 7 -- 2012 - 02-23, 05-12, 07-10, 09-12, 11-06, 12-06, 12-28, 12-31, 12-31, 9,327
# 6 -- 2011 - 02-25, 04-12, 05-26, 06-30, 08-10, 10-05, 12-05, 12-31, 8,041
# 5 -- 2010 - 03-04, 05-09, 07-26, 09-22, 11-24, 5,563
# 4 -- 2009 - 02-19, 04-24, 07-13, 10-07, 12-31, 5,004
# 3 -- 2008 - 04-04, 07-07, 09-23, 12-22, 4,085
# 2 -- 2007 - 03-10, 05-19, 07-24, 10-11, 4,862
# 1 Original RTDNTOTO - 2004-2007 - 13,142

Bold red dates highlight which years we are behind in postings