• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Walkability in my life would be amazing. If my kids could walk to things I would be much happier. The carpool challenges of having more kids than adults is getting more and more challenging.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Ever find yourself wanting to ask people impossibly huge questions like "what's it like to be a Jew in America" but know there's no easy way to answer in a meaningful way?

I can answer it in one line. It's like being an American in America.

I converted, but my Dad (and half of my family) was Jewish, and I have a last name that's either vaguely Jewish -- or Dutch. Even when I was mainline Protestant on paper, I never felt like I fit in, either at the church Mom attended. I also felt out of place in my hometown, where at the time, the population was about 70% Roman Catholic. "What parish do you live in?" "Where are your ashes?" Having my middle school crush turn me down for a date, because her dad (a prominent local judge) disapproved of dating someone who wasn't Italian or Catholic. At least that's what I heard through the grapevine; I was a really awkward kid, and I probably wouldn't have dated me. Going to a Catholic elementaty and junior high school only exacerbated that sense of non-belonging.

Anyhow, I always had a kind of Jewish self-identity, but didn't really embrace it until about 15 years ago. Since converting, I feel more like I fit in, and have a "place" of sorts. I may have experienced anti-Semitism in my life somewhere, but I can't remember it. Judiasm has never been a factor in my public life. My wife is Jewish, although that's really more of a coincidence. We're Reform, but don't belong to a synagogue, and don't really practice except during holidays. We have mezuzahs on doorposts in the house and a couple of menorahs, but that's the only really visible sign of our religion visitors see. That being said, I'm an American first and foremost. In a way, converting only reinforced my sense of pride in being American. Everybody in America has their own story, and my experiences are as unique as everybody else's.

Veloise

Cyburbian

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Walkability in my life would be amazing. If my kids could walk to things I would be much happier. The carpool challenges of having more kids than adults is getting more and more challenging.
I walked the 1.5 miles from my house to work this morning and will do the reverse this afternoon.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I just had a chocolate chip cookie from a local bakery that had a lot of ginger in the dough and yet the sign on it in the display clearly just said chocolate chip cookie with no mention of ginger - the cookie was good but the Elaine in me wants to know why that wasn't communicated to me

Maybe the wrong product was placed behind the sign. :shrug: I recieved a plate of food at a Mexican restaurant that was clearly not what I ordered. I was hungry and it looked good; so I ate it. The check came and it listed what I ordered but didn't list what I had eaten. I spent a good while trying to figure out what it was called on the menu and never did. I figured it was some staff person's meal that they made for themself but it got sent out before they got it.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Why don't you move?
We built our house... we aren't moving forever. I still like the concept, but I certainly would never want to deal with neighbors either. It is a give and take world for me. I own everything around me so I don't have to deal with dumb people... but I have to give up having my kids walk. At this point it is completely worth it...except for sports season ;)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Bear Up North is the original RTDNTOTO creator. Check out the previous threads that JNA has linked in his update. Bear was a constant contributor to this site until he passed away. Great guy, who is missed.

Bear Up North was not a professional planner, but he was the Director of Planning for the City of De Noc. Hell of a guy and deeply missed around these Cyburbian pathways.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
it's dank cold day today, sorry about that - good day for reading and resting - the waves should be good on Seawall from Hurricane Teddy though
On a related note, I am slightly bothered by the appropriation of the word 'dank' by the drug subculture. But yes, dank days are good for resting either way.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
How many of our Vision 2020 Comp Plans envisioned a 2020 like this? If 20/20 is perfect vision, I am going to close my eyes.

Planit

Cyburbian
The park next to the house opened back up last week. Combined with nice weather families have been showing up. The dog is confused why people are there again.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

kms

Cyburbian
It's a beautiful Sunday here. There's an election rally in my town, and it's scheduled to last all afternoon. I'm stranded in town because my street is closed and I may not be able to come home when I want. This is jacked up.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
You've been telling me you're a genius since you were seventeen,
And all this time I've known you I still don't know what you mean.
The weekend at the college didn't turn out like you planned.
The things that pass for knowledge I can't understand.

That song has one of the industry's best guitar solos - done by Elliott Randall who I actually Facebook know (he wishes me a happy birthday even) - it is Walter Becker's (RIP) supposedly least favorite song to play but I don't know why

the B side of this single is "Only a Fool Would Say That" which is one of my favorite stuck-on-a-desert-island songs ever

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Our HOA pays for a Kona Ice truck to come set up shop in front of one of the houses in the neighborhood once a summer and you can go up as many times as you want. We don't get an ice cream truck that rolls through so this is a nice alternative...

Well, until this past Friday! I was outside doing some yard work on Friday around 4:00 p.m. and I could hear the unmistakable sounds of an ice cream truck somewhere in the neighborhood. I stayed outside for a while and could hear the music fading in and out and while it never got particularly close, it never went away completely either. Close to 5:00, my oldest and I saw it pass through an intersection a couple blocks away. We thought it would loop around and come out right in front of our house. It never did though and about 10 minutes later it passed back through the intersection in the opposite direction. We could hear the music getting closer though and it seemed like the truck was passing along on the street behind ours so I put the youngest in the stroller and my daughters and I hoofed it around the block in the other direction to catch it head on.

Success!

I told the driver, Andrew, how excited we were that he had come through and that I once heard an ice cream truck a few weeks after we moved in, 12 years ago, but I didn't go out to meet it because I figured it was a regular occurance and it never appeared again. Andrew said he's trying to make the neighborhoods around ours a regular part of his rotation and will keep doing so until it gets too cold.

I wanted to leave him a tip (to help encourage him to come back) but I forgot in my excitement. Luckily, after we got home and I was in the back grilling, I finally saw him pass by right in front our house so I ran out to meet him again. I may or may not have gotten an extra Drumstick as well.

Late yesterday afternoon, after I turned of the debacle of the Lions game, I was sitting outside in the back while my 4-year-old and the 5-year-old girl from next door were playing with Play-Doh. My oldest was in the front yard reading and she heard the telltale music of the ice cream truck and came running, screaming, through the house to the back so then the little kids started getting all amped up too. I asked the neighbor girl's dad if we could get her some ice cream if it came by the house this time and he laughed and said yes but that he had told her that was the music from a street cleaner truck when she heard it last week. :roflmao:

By the time the neighbor had to go in for dinner the truck had not yet come so she told my daughter to come knock on her door if we went to the truck. I had to laugh and tell her that we didn't want to ruin her dinner. 20 minutes later, I was in the kitchen working on our dinner when the truck finally showed up so we went out to meet it. As soon as we opened the front door, my youngest ran next door to get her friend. :roflmao:

Thankfully, she was nearly done with her dinner at that point.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
But the days grow short when you reach September
When the autumn weather turns the leaves to flame

Frank Sinatra "September Song"

TOFB

Cyburbian
That song has one of the industry's best guitar solos - done by Elliott Randall who I actually Facebook know (he wishes me a happy birthday even) - it is Walter Becker's (RIP) supposedly least favorite song to play but I don't know why

the B side of this single is "Only a Fool Would Say That" which is one of my favorite stuck-on-a-desert-island songs ever
I listened to The Royal Scam yesterday and continue to be blown away by Larry Carlton's solos. . . . .

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Earlier this morning I was thinking about the 80's anti-drug commercial that said "nobody ever says I want to be a junkie when I grow up". Does anyone ever say I want to be a slum lord when I grow up?

DVD

Cyburbian
Earlier this morning I was thinking about the 80's anti-drug commercial that said "nobody ever says I want to be a junkie when I grow up". Does anyone ever say I want to be a slum lord when I grow up?

Growing up as a kid in the '80s I just think I should have been offered free drugs like the commercials more than the zero times people have offered.

estromberg

Cyburbian
Growing up as a kid in the '80s I just think I should have been offered free drugs like the commercials more than the zero times people have offered.

In the same vein, it's almost time for the "people handing out drugs for halloween" memes to start. As if. Drugs are expensive. Ain't nobody going to be giving that stuff away...

Big Owl

Cyburbian

The "this is your brain..." commercial made me crave fried eggs every time it aired.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
In the same vein, it's almost time for the "people handing out drugs for halloween" memes to start. As if. Drugs are expensive. Ain't nobody going to be giving that stuff away...
And in how many instances have drugs, razor blades, and otherwise poisoned candy been documented handed out to kids? In round numbers.....0

Planit

Cyburbian
I remember hearing that the local hospital would x-ray your candy for free one year way back when. I always thought that was odd, but when you hear the stories about sewing or syringe needles and the razorblades in your apples, I guess there has to be a reaction.

My dad said that if someone put a razor blade in the apple, you'd notice the cut because it certainly did not grow inside it. Or you could just throw it away.