• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Gee thanks, now I'm craving fried eggs.
If I could make myself an egg over easy, or a bullseye every morning, I would. It isn't healthy, and it takes too much time. But that is what I would do if I were a famous, rich person with a personal chef.

DVD

Cyburbian
Love this latest work email

There are 2 headsets available as only 5 were given to out department.

There are 20 planners in our department. Some great planning on headset purchases.
Also, what happened to the other 3? What managers decided they desperately needed headsets, but rarely do the constant meetings and phone calls of junior staff.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Saw this in the grocery store - just doesn't even sound right -

CRANBERRY LEMONADE WITH COLD BREW COFFEE

Has anybody try it ?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
When you get an Amazon email that says your order will be delivered tomorrow, and you think to yourself, what did I order, realizing I ordered it like 35 minutes ago....

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian

Has anybody try it ?

That... ...just isn't right. Maybe with cascara it would be OK.

Has anybody try it ?

Uploaded label with the ingredients, Nutrition Facts:

1600777472602.png

As I suspected, the first ingredient is water, and the cranberry- and grape-juices
are from concentrate.

The caffeine level (in mg/cup) is not listed here. I wonder if it's somewhere else on the bottle label?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's such a change working for a larger organization coming for small towns - I am overhearing a meeting with engineering department folks with the state DOT on some projects and I felt a tinge of "hey, how come I am not in that meeting" because in a small town, not only would I be in that meeting but it likely would have been my project

so it's good that my focus is only on a few planning things and not everything because that can be demoralizing and overwhelming and leads to burnout; but at the same time, I miss being a part of everything, sometimes

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's such a change working for a larger organization coming for small towns - I am overhearing a meeting with engineering department folks with the state DOT on some projects and I felt a tinge of "hey, how come I am not in that meeting" because in a small town, not only would I be in that meeting but it likely would have been my project

so it's good that my focus is only on a few planning things and not everything because that can be demoralizing and overwhelming and leads to burnout; but at the same time, I miss being a part of everything, sometimes
1600783816369.png ;)

DVD

Cyburbian

This is what I love about working for a bigger city. It's not my project!

What's wrong with you people? Why isn't anyone posting links here to bro country hits? Get with it already.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We got a mighty convoy rockin thru the night
Yeah we got a mighty convoy, aint she a beautiful sight?
C'mon and join our convoy, aint nothin gonna get in our way
We gonna roll this truckin convoy 'cross the USA
Convooooooyyyy...!!"

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
There's something so nice about getting into the office early after a long meeting the night before. The quiet. Meetings happen on tuesday nights, which means Hump Day follows.

So take a breath. We've almost made it again.

1600864463884.png

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I had some olives stuffed with blue cheese in my little tupperware lunch container and it seems to have leaked some of the very greasy, very fragrant olive oil into the USMC helmet bag I've been using to carry stuff to and from work and as my carry-on bag on trips for decades. This bag has literally been around the world with me and survived a lot. I'm a bit worried that this particular stain may be a bit much though. Fingers crossed though that it remains serviceable.

Today isn't a good day. Which sucks.
I got a bacon and egg on an english on my way to work

So mama cooked a breakfast with some hog?

Veloise

Cyburbian
I had some olives stuffed with blue cheese in my little tupperware lunch container and it seems to have leaked some of the very greasy, very fragrant olive oil into the USMC helmet bag I've been using to carry stuff to and from work and as my carry-on bag on trips for decades. This bag has literally been around the world with me and survived a lot. I'm a bit worried that this particular stain may be a bit much though. Fingers crossed though that it remains serviceable.
My friend Google doesn't tell me what sort of fabric this is made of.
Empty all the pockets, the crumbs, brush out any dust.
Prepare a basin of warm soapy water. (Dawn apparently removes all sorts of oily substances.) Dip, agitate, sniff.
Rinse, try sniffing again.
Repeat until all you smell is Dawn. Rinse one last time, hang up in the breeze to dry.

kms

Cyburbian
Prepare a basin of warm soapy water. (Dawn apparently removes all sorts of oily substances.) Dip, agitate, sniff.
Repeat until all you smell is Dawn. Rinse one last time, hang up in the breeze to dry.
I'd put Dawn right on the oily stain and lightly scrub it with a brush and rinse it as soon as i can.

If you usually dry the bag in the dryer when you wash it, don't do it until you're sure the stain is gone. I find that the dryer sets the stain.

You can always try using Lestoil. It stinks, bit it works.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'd put Dawn right on the oily stain and lightly scrub it with a brush and rinse it as soon as i can.

If you usually dry the bag in the dryer when you wash it, don't do it until you're sure the stain is gone. I find that the dryer sets the stain.

You can always try using Lestoil. It stinks, bit it works.

The exterior is a ripstop nylon and the interior is a quilted plain weave nylon. However, the problem is that there is a layer of polyester padding between the two layers and sewn into the quilted interior lining. Once I get home from the office, I've got some household safe absorbent powder that does great at cleaning up oily stains (whether they're organic or some sort of petro-chemical) on fabrics and wood and vinyl. My concern is the padding on the inside that it may be too late to get the smell out of there. There are plenty of other stains (coffee, some aftershave the spilled open, rifle cleaning oil, etc.) and generally I wouldn't mind about the stains but this one really spread out very wide and dark. After I leave it in the powder overnight, I'll get to work with my Dawn and toothbrush like I have on other stains.

In the end, it's not an unpleasant smell and I'm sure it will lessen pretty quickly but if cannot make the stain a lot less noticeable, it may be time to relegate this bag strictly to gym-bag duty and purchase a new one.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Just got off one of those I-expect-this-to-be-long virtual meetings that was surprisingly short. Like, about 15 minutes vs the 1.5 hr we allocated.

Either my team is that good, or the other side hadn't done their homework. Or both.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Sometimes personnel problems just sort of work themselves out before you really have to get fully involved. If only that happened more often . . . .

What's wrong with you people? Why isn't anyone posting links here to bro country hits? Get with it already.
^That^ was the version of CONVOY from the 1978 movie.
I posted that because I'm not sure if the original 1975 version is Safe For Work (SFW) due to "political incorrections".
Moderators, would you please decide its fate?

SFW???
The Original
1975 Version of CONVOY:

Some translation, C.B.Radio Lingo to English:
Rubber Duck=> Leader of the Convoy
Reefer On=> Surprise!- Most likely a refrigerated trailer hitched to a truck.
Jimmy=> MACK Truck
Shakytown=> Los Angeles
Flagtown=> Flagstaff, AZ
Chitown=> Chicago
Bears=> Cops
Drop the Hammer Down=> Press the foot full-force on the accelerator
Bears in the Air=> Police Helicopters
Swindle Sheets=> Truckers' logs
Chicken Coop=> Weigh-station for trucks
I-One-O => Interstate 10 =>Southernmost Interstate Highway - from Santa Monica, CA to Jacksonville, FL

Last Verse of 1975 Version of Song:
"Well we laid a strip for the Jersey Shore
And prepared to cross the line
I could see the bridge was lined with bears
But I didnt have a doggon dime
I says 'Pigpen this heres the Rubber Duck
'We just aint gonna pay no toll'
So we crashed the gate doing ninety-eight
I says 'Let them truckers roll, 10-4!'

In this 1975 (original) version, the Rubber Duck is a "hero" and lives through the joyride. The convoy ends with the truckers turning around, dispersing, and heading back west to their beginning destinations.

In the 1978 song version (previous post), the Rubber Duck dies a gruesome death.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Driving to work this morning the sun was low on the horizon. I don't know if I've mentioned it before but I find that the times when the atmosphere makes it possible to see the outline of the sun with the naked eye, it gives me some appreciation of just how big the sun is and also some idea how far 93 million miles is. One Astronomical Unit (AU) is a comprehensible distance; 12,000 light years, not so much.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I nominate this song as the quintessential 90's hit on 'alternative' charts of the era.

Planit

Cyburbian
Street Dept was told to paint the crosswalks so that’s what they did - just paint.
30E66C0F-29EC-4A9C-9D30-A9AF23AA2F00.jpeg

thats not as bad though as a friend of mine who had a picture of roadkill with a freshly painted double yellow line right across it.

Veloise

Cyburbian
The exterior is a ripstop nylon and the interior is a quilted plain weave nylon. However, the problem is that there is a layer of polyester padding between the two layers and sewn into the quilted interior lining. Once I get home from the office, I've got some household safe absorbent powder that does great at cleaning up oily stains (whether they're organic or some sort of petro-chemical) on fabrics and wood and vinyl. My concern is the padding on the inside that it may be too late to get the smell out of there. There are plenty of other stains (coffee, some aftershave the spilled open, rifle cleaning oil, etc.) and generally I wouldn't mind about the stains but this one really spread out very wide and dark. After I leave it in the powder overnight, I'll get to work with my Dawn and toothbrush like I have on other stains.

In the end, it's not an unpleasant smell and I'm sure it will lessen pretty quickly but if cannot make the stain a lot less noticeable, it may be time to relegate this bag strictly to gym-bag duty and purchase a new one.
It won't be too difficult to rinse out the padding. Ad stated, agitate in soapy water, sniff.
You can also soak it overnight or longer.
My spiritual mentor Heloise swears by vinegar, which removes aromas.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
At first I thought this was from the Onion....

If this is not an example of the haves vs the have-nots, I don't know what is...
There was a movie I saw years ago with a scene depicting people running through the streets of Los Angeles in the future and an actor stops briefly to pay money to breathe oxygen for a few seconds at a vending machine on the street.

Planit

Cyburbian
Yes, the grocery bill seems much higher than last year.

Speaking to a colleague this morning about construction costs (because they are looking to build a new home). He said the standard stud - 2"x4"x93" -the the last couple years have gone from $2.99 to $8.99 per stud and a 5/8" 4'x8' sheet of plywood from $12.99 to $36.99. His contractor friend said he might as well figure on $200/square foot construction price.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
So this here. Yeah, it didn't happen that way after all. I swear to God my job is 50% Dr. Phil these days. Is it really that hard to act like a grown-up when you should?

I am that person in the office. My boss dislikes two people in my office, one of which she was made to hire and the other she inherited. I have no issue with the inherited one-she's an older lady and just likes to feel included and appreciated (it's not that hard). The other one is the same age as my daughter and I know his mom who works for the city (we're county). He's smart and disinterested in the work we do but he keeps the books so he's not engaged in the programs like the rest of the staff is. My boss takes offense to that when she isn't busy and distracted by other things. She vents, he feels like he's being singled out and shrinks inside himself.

We don't have performance evaluations or reviews so unless you're actually not doing your job, committing crimes, or harassing someone there's not much you can do so I work hard to keep the peace between the two of them.