• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 15 (2020)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We turned off the tv and listened to Dark Side of the Moon followed by Meddle last night. It was a good night.
Wow, there are two albums that get the lights out at night treatment while listening to them, and you just named them both!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We turned off the tv and listened to Dark Side of the Moon followed by Meddle last night. It was a good night.
Alternatively, you can keep the tv on but just turn the volume off while listening to the Dark Side of the Rainbow and watching Wizard of Oz on the video.

1602251834291.png 1602251842143.png

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Break out the doobies to enhance the experience.
One more reason for the lights to be out. We can then have discussions about "the sheer GENIUS of Floyd. They have effectively created a SONIC LANDSCAPE skillfully using music to invoke visual imagery into minds of the listeners, until at one point it becomes REAL and you're THERE.....":pill:

Or so some friends have told me.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
One more reason for the lights to be out. We can then have discussions about "the sheer GENIUS of Floyd. They have effectively created a SONIC LANDSCAPE skillfully using music to invoke visual imagery into minds of the listeners, until at one point it becomes REAL and you're THERE....."

Or so some friends have told me.
I passed out about 3 minutes in.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Speaking of Steely Dan, I was listening to some Super Furry Animals the other day and I really liked the hook on the song they were sampling. I looked it up and it turned out to be a Steely Dan song that I had overlooked all these years. I'm no Steely Dan super-fan like LP, but I do consider myself a fan. This particular Steely Dan song has been on heavy repeat for me since I heard it in the background of the below song on Tuesday.

How long will it take @luckless pedestrian to identify it:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of Steely Dan, I was listening to some Super Furry Animals the other day and I really liked the hook on the song they were sampling. I looked it up and it turned out to be a Steely Dan song that I had overlooked all these years. I'm no Steely Dan super-fan like LP, but I do consider myself a fan. This particular Steely Dan song has been on heavy repeat for me since I heard it in the background of the below song on Tuesday.

How long will it take @luckless pedestrian to identify it:

Hahahaha that's awesome - got it pretty quickly - I hope they paid to use that as Donald Fagen and Walter Becker went after some rapper for stealing a bass line - supposedly they heard it on the car radio and went wtf, man and sued the living crap out the group for royalties and schooled them on writing their own charts lol

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Hahahaha that's awesome - got it pretty quickly - I hope they paid to use that as DonNSFW:

ald Fagen and Walter Becker went after some rapper for stealing a bass line - supposedly they heard it on the car radio and went wtf, man and sued the living crap out the group for royalties and schooled them on writing their own charts lol

I've got a compilation album from the Super Furry Animals single that includes "The Man Don't Give a F!ck" and they list and they do list Becker and Fagen as writers in the liner notes (I don't know if they were listed on the original single that included the song though).

I think the rap song you're referring to is Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)", which for what it's worth is another awesome song and is on a couple of my running playlists. They looped a baseline sample from "Black Cow."

semi-NSFW:

I need to do some Googling now and see if there's a definitive list of rap songs sampling Steely Dan. It seems like rap and hip hop could make good use of some of that heavily produced, crisp '70s funky rock.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the rap song you're referring to is Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)", which for what it's worth is another awesome song and is on a couple of my running playlists. They looped a baseline sample from "Black Cow."

semi-NSFW:

I need to do some Googling now and see if there's a definitive list of rap songs sampling Steely Dan. It seems like rap and hip hop could make good use of some of that heavily produced, crisp '70s funky rock.

yes, that's it lol

Bubba

Cyburbian

"WHATZ A PC TERM4FARMER SNOT?"
View attachment 49324
A Cooper-Spreader!
Snot rocket!
We always called it a Texas Nose Blow.

Friday afternoon jives,
The chicks do their pose
At teh Happy Hay Hour...
A skeevy dude arrives,
Finger up his nose,
And offers them flowers.

The chicks flee to their henhouse
And lock down like a titmouse...
They self-quarantine,
Yet you firmly maintain,
"It is NOT

Farmer Snot!"

Whatever.
o_O

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Listening to one of my APA Chapter's virtual workshop sessions right now.

Gotta get those CMs.

Though, I'm not too concerned about this year's regional conference that's been cancelled for this month, which was scheduled for a certain Kentucky city.

DVD

Cyburbian
Hey DVD, did you take one of Waymo's driverless taxis to work today?
Haven't even seen one of the Waymo cars during all the testing. They're mostly on the east side of town which is okay by me. FYI, the east side is where all t he idiots and accidents happen.

How is this cheap excitement - I got a new wireless mouse for my computer.
Look at JNA getting all high tech!